PTV Network New Zealand & Independent Radio Service (Patrick Te Pou Broadcasting Ltd)

@McMuffinMan17 Yes - in order to avoid confusion with NZME’s own Gold brand, I have rebranded Gold as Rewind. And here it is.

More details on the major rebrand as soon as possible.

1 Like

MAJOR REBRAND FOR SOME PTV NETWORK CHANNELS

Due to a conflict with real-life brands used by NZME (Gold and Viva) and Warner Bros. Discovery (Turbo, or Discovery Turbo), I had to give some PTV Network channels a major rebrand. More information is listed below.

SHAKE

Shake is PTV Network New Zealand’s pure entertainment channel for 18-39 year olds and broadcasts a lineup of engaging dramas, comedies, reality shows, movies and sport (NZ Warriors, NZ Breakers, Sal’s NBL, Bathurst 1000 and WWE).

No change to its name but the logo has been updated.

GEM

GEM is PTV Network’s ‘General Entertainment and Movie’ channel for 40-64 year olds and broadcasts an indulgent blend of quality British dramas, classic comedies and movies, and top-tier documentary, factual and arts programming.

No change to its name but the logo has been updated.

BOLD (new name)

Bold (formerly Turbo) targets 25-54 with a male skew and provides a schedule of premium scripted and factual programmes to cater for the channel’s male demographic, as well as action-packed movies and more of the best free-to-air sports coverage in New Zealand.

The renaming is due to Warner Bros. Discovery’s objection that the channel’s original name, Turbo, is the same as Discovery Turbo, so I had to change it to “Bold” as a result of the conflict.

PEACH (new name)

Peach (formerly Viva) targets 25-54 with a female skew and offers a complete range of entertaining factual, lifestyle and scripted programmes that are fun, engaging, real, aspirational and of interest to women. The channel has firmly established itself as the free-to-air home of Netball and women’s sports (e.g. Black Ferns, Super Rugby Aupiki, Farah Palmer Cup, White Ferns, A-League Women etc).

The renaming is due to NZME’s objection that the channel’s original name, Viva, is already in use as a publishing and digital brand, so I had to change it to “Peach” as a result of the conflict.

REWIND (new name)

Rewind (formerly GEM 2 and Gold respectively) celebrates the greatest television of all time and provides nostalgia buffs with a schedule of classic dramas, comedies and entertainment from television’s golden age.

It started off as GEM 2, an extension of the GEM brand, and then Gold. And suddenly, due to NZME’s objection that the channel’s new name, Gold, is already in use as a radio brand which focuses on ‘all the greatest hits’, there is a conflict. So, thanks to @McMuffinMan17’s suggestion, I had to change it to “Rewind” as a result.

@Kathryn_Milin @LiamP @TBoy @Leotv @Biscuit45 @TV3_NZ What do you think of the subtle changes?

4 Likes

Pretty cool mate!

1 Like

Thank you, @McMuffinMan17.

Here is a taste of mock snapshots showing PTV Network New Zealand’s website, ptv.co.nz, in which I describe it as ‘a wealth of information’. I created the mock snapshots using Microsoft PowerPoint.

NEWS

For the latest on what’s happening at home and around the world, ptvnews.co.nz - the online home of PTV News - is the website to keep news junkies in the know. As well as the top headlines and breaking news, you’ll find the weather forecast for your part of the country, plus the latest stories in politics, business, entertainment, crime, health, education and much more. You can link to all this and more from the main page, or click a link of your choice in the menu bar at the top of your screen (listed as follows):

• Latest: The latest headlines from the PTV News newsroom as they arrive in real time.
  • National: A collection page for national news stories, from North Cape to Bluff.
  • World: Collection pages for international news stories - including “Australia”, “UK”, “US & Canada”, “Asia”, “Europe”, “South Pacific”, “Middle East”, “Africa” and “Latin America”.
  • Politics: The latest and breaking news from the political hub of Wellington, the sharpest interviews with the most important politicians on both sides of the Beehive, along with in-depth analysis, commentary and features.
  • Business: The latest business, economic and financial news from New Zealand and around the world, plus in-depth analysis and commentary, interviews with the business leaders and real-time updates on the sharemarket, currency movements and commodities information.
  • Entertainment: The latest and breaking news from the world of entertainment.
  • Te Hēteri: The home of Māori content - news, features, opinion and analysis featuring Māori voices and exploring te ao Māori (the Māori world).
  • More: You will find collection pages for news stories on “Crime”, “Health”, “Education”, “Transport”, “Emergency”, “Environment”, “Consumer Affairs” and “Pacific Affairs”.

WEATHER
View the forecast for any one of the 44 towns and cities nationwide, from Kaitaia to Invercargill. By clicking the weather link at the top of your screen, you can read a short range forecast, an extended (three day) forecast, marine and coastal forecasts and important weather warnings - all of which are supplied by MetService and updated daily. You can also share your weather pictures and view photos from around New Zealand.

SPORT

ptvsport.co.nz - the online home of PTV Sport - is a must go-to destination for sports fanatics and punters alike. This website is brimming with the latest and breaking news from the sporting world, but if your taste in sport is more selective then go to the Sports News link in the menu bar and click a sublink (collection page) to find news that matches your interests.

For instance, if you’re an All Blacks fan then click “Rugby” under Sports News and you’ll be whisked to the latest rugby news. Petrolheads will find thrills and spills galore by clicking “Motorsport”. Other collection pages include “League”, “Netball” and “Cricket” to name a few.

OPINION
Looking for an opinion? A dedicated team of experts rip into the most talked-about sporting issues of the moment. It is intended that, if my dream network becomes a reality, the ptvsport.co.nz team will include Brad Lewis, Jamie Wall, Michael Guerin, Nigel Yalden, Rikki Swannell, Ross Karl, Taylah Johnson and Tom Bartlett and that other regular columns will include legendary broadcaster Stephen McIvor, rugby commentator Tony Johnson, football commentator Jason Pine and racing experts Aidan Rodley and Andrew (Butch) Castles.

LIVE COMMENTARY
ptvsport.co.nz offers live, minute-by-minute text commentary for selected major sporting events. This is a great service for non-PTV Sport+ subscribers and for those who want to keep up with the action as the event unfolds in real time. To find out more, click the link in the menu bar at the top of your screen.

FIXTURES & RESULTS
ptvsport.co.nz offers detailed results from all sports and previews of the big games to come. To find out more, click the link in the menu bar at the top of your screen.

RACING
Read the race dividends, results and scratchings (supplied by the TAB), and get the latest in racing news, by clicking the Racing link in the menu bar at the top of your screen. This special service, made exclusively for ptvsport.co.nz, is perfect for punters everywhere.

PTV+

PTV Network New Zealand’s digital platform, PTV+, is the one-stop shop for live and on-demand content. It offers a variety of programmes seen on the PTV Network channels (most of these broadcast on air with licensing agreements to be shown for users in New Zealand) and dozens of local and international titles that are available exclusively on the platform, including web series. Movies, documentaries, kids’ titles, box sets and express plays from the US and UK are part of the mix.

The content on PTV+, including the 12 PTV Network channels in HD, is free and funded by commercial advertising but, unlike TVNZ+ and ThreeNow in real life, there are paid services available:

• PTV+ Premium: An advertising-free version of PTV+ which allows viewers to skip ads and enjoy content, without commercial interruption, for only $19.99 a month. Your PTV+ Premium subscription also includes exclusive access to premium on-demand content from HBO, Showtime, FX and many others, plus over 30 channels with wall-to-wall entertainment around the clock.
  • PTV Sport+: A premium live and on-demand sport streaming service, similar to Sky Sport Now and Spark Sport in real life, which gives sports fans exclusive access to live and on-demand sporting action and 24-hour sports channels for only $29.99 a month.
  • PTV Ringside: The home of pay-per-view events - boxing, UFC and WWE. This content is available to purchase individually, separate to a PTV+ Premium or PTV Sport+ monthly subscription.

Click Subscribe in the menu bar at the top of your screen to find out more.

As you have seen the images, these are mock snapshots. What do you think of those?

All images and content are samples only; no copyright infringement intended. “House of the Dragon” (c) 2022 Home Box Office, Inc. All rights reserved. HBO® and all related channels and service marks are the property of Home Box Office, Inc.

3 Likes

LOVE it Paddy!

1 Like

Thanks, @foxyrover.

1 Like

Below are the free and premium channels via live streaming on PTV Network New Zealand’s digital platform, PTV+.

PTV+ PREMIUM
PTV+ Premium not only allows viewers to skip ads and enjoy their favourite on-demand content, without commercial interruption, but to get exclusive access to 30+ channels of news and entertainment around the clock.

Many of the channels are already familiar or have been familiar in recent times - such as BBC UKTV, Universal TV, E!, Bravo, MTV, TLC, HGTV, Food Network, Discovery, National Geographic, Animal Planet, Rialto, CNN, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network etc - but others are new to New Zealand (e.g. BBC First, A&E, Nat Geo Wild, Sky News UK, Boomerang, Club MTV, CMT etc).

There is also a number of new channels that are made exclusively for PTV+ Premium and not for free-to-air television:

• PTV Funny: A channel devoted to US sitcoms from the mid-2000s to present.
  • PTV Comedy: A channel devoted to US sitcoms from the 1990s to the mid-2000s.
  • PTV Drama: A channel devoted to US dramas (e.g. All Rise, Blue Bloods, Bull, Magnum PI, The Mentalist, Person of Interest).
  • PTV Crime: A channel devoted to US crime dramas (e.g. Bones, Castle, Criminal Minds, CSI, NCIS, Without a Trace).
  • PTV Sleuth: A channel devoted to US and British crime dramas/murder mysteries (e.g. Endeavour, Inspector Morse, Jonathan Creek, Murder She Wrote, Vera, Waking the Dead).
  • PTV Sci-Fi: A channel devoted to sci-fi and fantasy series (e.g. Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Battlestar Galactica, Charmed, Heroes, Star Trek, The X-Files etc).
  • PTV Animation: A channel devoted to adult animated series (e.g. The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Bob’s Burgers, South Park, Robot Chicken, Rick and Morty etc).
  • PTV Soap: A channel devoted to US and British soaps.
  • PTV Reality: A channel devoted to reality television series and competitions (e.g. American Idol, The Bachelor, Love Island USA & UK).
  • PTV Talk: A channel devoted to talk shows (e.g. Dr Phil, The Doctors, The Drew Barrymore Show, The Kelly Clarkson Show, Maury, The Steve Wilkos Show)
  • PTV Docos: A channel devoted to documentary films and series.
  • PTV Arts: A channel devoted to arts features and art-related documentaries.

PTV SPORT+
PTV Sport+ has a wide range of major local and international sports available live and on-demand, with dedicated channels playing sporting content around the clock. The channels are crammed with full replays, highlights and dedicated sports shows.

The All Blacks, the NZ Warriors, the Silver Ferns, the BLACKCAPS, the NZ Breakers and various competitions (e.g. Super Rugby, Bunnings NPC, NRL, ANZ Premiership, A-League Men/Women etc) have their own channels which show a mix of highlights and replays, while the beIN SPORTS and Premier League channels are the same as Sky Sport 7 beIN SPORTS and Sky Sport Premier League respectively (in real life) and carry a blend of live action, highlights, replays and dedicated football shows.

Other channels added to the PTV Sport+ tier include ESPN, ESPN2, F1 TV, Fox Sports News, GINX Esports TV, Golf Channel, LFCTV, MUTV, NBA TV, Olympic Channel, Red Bull TV and TAB Trackside.

The monthly subscription to PTV+ Premium is $19.99 and PTV Sport+, $29.99.

What do you reckon of my dream television network’s digital platform and its channels via live streaming?

All logos contained are samples only; no copyright infringement intended.

3 Likes

Some of the names aren’t very inventive, or new.

1 Like

They are carriages though (HGTV, BBC First etc.)

@SA_TV @foxyrover Although they are not very inventive or just new, I just wanted to make the premium version look similar to 7plus from Australia. However, 7plus is a free service from the Seven Network and funded by commercial advertising.

In fact, 7plus has a suite of online only channels (e.g. Bloomberg TV, Fuel TV, Gusto TV, Love Nature etc) and virtual channels based on programming from Seven (e.g. All Saints, Blue Heelers, A Country Practice, Better Homes and Gardens etc).

I am not only a huge fan of the British soap Coronation Street but a great fan of CBS/Paramount, NBCUniversal, Warner Bros. Discovery, Disney (20th Century Studios) and other international studios, like the BBC and ITV, and I wanted to give my premium subscribers an opportunity to live stream over 30+ news and entertainment channels at a price that suits them.

And talking of sport, I created a suite of new channels which play a mix of highlights, replays and dedicated sports shows around the clock, and utilised the likes of beIN SPORTS, ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports News, GINX Esports TV, Golf Channel, LFCTV, MUTV, NBA TV, Olympic Channel, Red Bull TV and TAB Trackside.

Many of which are already available on Sky and Spark Sport (in real life), and some of which would be new to New Zealand.

2 Likes

Yes I agree Paddy the more content the better!

1 Like

I like it! Who needs cable TV when PTV+Premium can do the job for less!

1 Like

What if some Freeview channels moved across to make way for the launch of my dream television network - PTV Network New Zealand (Patrick Te Pou Enterprises Ltd)?

Three (Three +1), Bravo (Bravo +1), Prime, eden (eden +1), Rush and HGTV would gradually disappear and my dream network is like combining the power of Warner Bros. Discovery NZ (which owns Three, Bravo, eden, Rush, HGTV and Newshub) and Sky (which owns Prime, Sky Sport etc), as separate companies in real life, into a combined organisation. I also added BBC World News (as a partnership between my dream network and BBC Studios) too.

Although the channel line-up is only a mock, I have some quotes to share with you.

We have heard the questions too! “Do I have to reset my TV to pick up the new channels?” and “Do I have to change my aerial or dish?”

Let us reassure you now. Three, Bravo, Prime, eden, Rush and HGTV are all gone and most TVs with built-in Freeview will automatically update. If that’s you, there is absolutely no need to adjust your Freeview TV, UHF aerial or satellite dish. The new PTV Network channels are coming to you on buttons 3-5, 8-10, 13-15 and 18-20 of your TV remote, plus a trio of free pop-up channels on buttons 21, 22 and 23.

Whakaata Māori (Māori TV), TVNZ 2 +1, TVNZ DUKE +1, Te Reo and Al Jazeera have moved to their new spots, i.e. buttons 7, 12, 16, 17 and 24 on your TV remote.

Please note: Al Jazeera, in real life, is only available via Freeview UHF.

1 Like

Back in July, I had to say goodbye to the old ear symbol (for programmes with captions for the deaf and hard-of-hearing) and the old AD symbol (for programmes with audio descriptions for the blind and vision-impaired) and created new ‘CC’ and ‘AD’ symbols.

However, the new symbols were deemed unpopular and I had to revert back to the old ear and AD symbols (as shown below):

Captions for the deaf and hard-of-hearing

AD (Audio Descriptions) for the blind and vision-impaired

Isn’t CC the normal one?

2 Likes

I don’t know but the CC symbol, in which I created or attempted to create sometime ago, may not be popular in New Zealand… I think. All programmes with captions, or closed captions, are typically indicated by an ear symbol which, as usual, is displayed on-screen at the start of the programme. However, the CC symbol is the normal one and hugely popular with the deaf and hearing-impaired people worldwide.

1 Like

INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY 2023

Next year’s International Women’s Day will, in real life, take place on Wednesday 8 March 2023. Once a year, International Women’s Day celebrates the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women from all over the world.

In 2019 the British soap, Emmerdale, focused upon female characters in a special episode celebrating International Women’s Day and the talents of women in the television industry. That episode was written, produced, directed and recorded by a female led crew.

If my dream television network becomes a reality, PTV Network’s News and Current Affairs programmes would be presented in-studio by a female led team of presenters in order to celebrate that important occasion.

Amanda Gillies (co-host of Saturday Sunrise) would join Melissa Chan-Green as co-hosts of the breakfast programme Sunrise (6-9am on PTV), alongside Wilhelmina Shrimpton as Sunrise newsreader and presenter of Early Sunrise (5.30-6am on PTV). Sport would be anchored on Sunrise by Kristina Eddy and the weather would be presented by Holly Henry (from YouTube; see below).

Oriini Kaipara would read the 11.30am and 4.30pm bulletins (on PTV).

The news at 6pm (on PTV) and 8pm (on GEM) would be read by Laura Tupou with Ravinder Hunia on sport and Jess Tyson with the weather. The International Women’s Day edition of Campbell Live, at 6.30pm (on PTV), would be presented by Rebecca Wright.

International Women’s Day 2023 would conclude with Nightline (10.30pm on PTV). Tova O’Brien returns to television to present a mix of investigative reports, business insights, regular live interviews and in-depth analysis of the day’s events, with the late news being read throughout the programme by Janika ter Ellen.

What do you think?

1 Like

In real life, there are two international rugby games playing at Eden Park in Auckland on Saturday 24 September. Kickoffs for the 2022 Rugby World Cup warm-up match (Black Ferns v Japan Women) and the 2022 Lipovitan-D Rugby Championship/Bledisloe Cup match (All Blacks v Wallabies) are at 4.30pm and 7.05pm respectively.

@greenpea I have two what-if scenarios when it comes to international rugby on free-to-air television through my dream network.

What if PTV Network’s main channel, PTV, had live coverage of both games back-to-back? Live rugby would begin at 4pm with a build-up to the Black Ferns v Japan Women game, followed by kickoff (at 4.30pm), then the second Bledisloe Cup match (build-up at 6.30pm, kickoff at 7.05pm and post-match analysis) until around 9.30pm. Peach would screen a full replay of the Black Ferns v Japan Women game at 8.30pm that night.

And what if PTV Weekend News had separate, full-length (half hour) bulletins across GEM and PTV that night? PTV Weekend News, which usually aired on the main channel at 6pm, would broadcast on GEM at that time. A second, full-length PTV Weekend News broadcast, instead of the usual 15 minute broadcast, would follow on PTV at the earlier time of around 9.30pm (right after the rugby). This is due to live coverage of the Black Ferns v Japan Women and All Blacks v Wallabies matches on PTV.

1 Like

Both options would be workable @Paddy provided that viewers were made aware of a channel change or timeslot change in advance. (eg. a news update pre-match). another option could be to produce the bulletin as an online-only edition for socials etc.(with full branding) which could stream at its normal time and then be repeated on PTV post-game. If there is a breaking news story you’d replace the repeated bulletin with a second live bulletin.

1 Like