PTV Network New Zealand & Independent Radio Service (Patrick Te Pou Broadcasting Ltd)

Both :speak_no_evil:

Oh no, I think it’s a worthy discussion, these are your ideas and you share them with us which is nice, but part of that is justifying any ideas and taking criticism.

Really am genuinely curious and to why you’d make a station that closes down, like it’s 2023 not 1975.

Likewise, and genuinely curious as to what on earth these mascots are. Are they all pin-up style women? Any men?

1 Like

@SA_TV Let me explain. They are all pinup-style women from right around the country.

I use them as the Disney Princess type “Mascots” of my dream television network but only for marketing and promotional purposes if it becomes a reality. That’s what I’m saying.

Besides, your reactions are much appreciated.

Yes Paddy we understand what they are. We are asking for an explanation as to why you have closedown and why you have pinup girls, not a definition.

1 Like

@foxyrover Well, thank you.

1 Like

Yes I grasp the concept, but why? Like hardly seems appropriate in this day and age. I understand this is your fantasy concept but I just don’t get the thinking behind this particular idea.

1 Like

Do explain then…

In the old days, test cards used to be a key feature of New Zealand television at closedown.

I created the test cards and used images of some of NZ’s finest pinup-style women as a homage to the BBC’s Test Card F. The test cards were made with Microsoft PowerPoint, then saved as a set of PNG files, and I gave credit to the photographers for the use of their images (e.g. Image: Supplied.)

I am not a big fan of TV Shop infomercials or religious programming, which are paid for by advertisers, but I am a loyal supporter of the pinup community and have tried my best by making the test cards as a closedown feature for my dream television network.

That’s why.

1 Like

Have you considered replacing the test cards with a BBC-style closedown screen (eg. PTV Rewind will be back at 6 am tomorrow. Head to our website to catch up on what you missed.) @PaddyTePou?

That idea would be perfect.

1 Like

@greenpea When it comes to mock graphics, I have been using Calibre (not Calibri) as the main font for my dream television network, but a fresh new look and feel had be considered as the font seems to be a bit boring - just like the BBC!

A different font (e.g. Gilroy, MarkPro or perhaps both) also had to be considered too.

@Michael_Eccles @MichaelPower

We got there! and yes we know what testcards are.

Still think the whole ‘pin up’ thing is iffy to be honest, doesn’t sit well with me.

2 Likes

LOTTO RESULTS

Below is a mock graphic.

In real life the Lotto draws take place on Wednesday and Saturday nights. During the late news, i.e. Nightline on Wednesday and the late night PTV Weekend News on Saturday, the winning Lotto numbers would be shown on screen.

Here’s a snapshot of how the on-screen Lotto results look like, although I created the snapshot using Microsoft PowerPoint.

1 Like

PTV NETWORK NEW ZEALAND TO BRING REGIONAL TELEVISION TO LOWER NORTH ISLAND

Below is a mock press release.

PTV Network New Zealand (as a fictional broadcaster) today announced that it will launch a new broadcast region on 1 August 2023.

The new region will be known as PTV Horizons (named after the Horizons Regional Council), and will cover the lower North Island, i.e. the Gisborne, Hawke’s Bay, Taranaki, Whanganui and Manawatu areas.

From 1 August, localised commercial advertising and community notices from within the new PTV Horizons region, rather than PTV Wellington, will be inserted into the PTV feed before it is rebroadcast to viewers in the region.

On Monday 4 September 2023, PTV Network New Zealand’s Wellington-based regional news programme Spotlight will relocate to a converted Manawatu Standard building in Palmerston North (the new home of PTV Horizons), where its newsroom will be staffed by six reporters, two sports reporter, a chief reporter and four camera crews. There will also be additional regional reporters and crews based in Gisborne, Hastings and New Plymouth.

At the same time Spotlight in Wellington will be renamed as Wellington Today and covering the Greater Wellington region, including the Kapiti Coast and Wairarapa. This decision has been made after criticisms of Spotlight as being too centric on Wellington coverage.

As with other regional news services, drawing on the resources of the PTV News newsroom with support from NZ On Air’s Public Interest Journalism fund, the format for both Spotlight and Wellington Today will be produced Monday to Friday and structured like this:

• short news bulletins during Sunrise (at around 6.27, 7.27 and 8.27am);
  • a 10 minute lunchtime bulletin will air at 12.50pm, following PTV News: Midday;
  • a half hour main edition of Spotlight (PTV Horizons) and Wellington Today (PTV Wellington) will be broadcast between 6.30-7pm, following PTV News at 6pm; and
  • a 10 minute late night bulletin will air at around 11.10pm, following Nightline.

And on Sundays at 6pm, the regional current affairs/magazine programmes will be known as Spotlight on Sunday and Wellington This Week respectively.

In addition, PTV Network’s Palmerston North newsroom will also produce regional stories that are of national importance and for broadcast in PTV News’ national bulletins.

That’s all for now.

1 Like

For those of us on this side of the ditch, what are the regions like over there, like have you got a map?

is NZ actually spilt into TV regions in real life?

1 Like

You mean ‘split’?

And the answer is yes. In real life TVNZ has four broadcast regions: Auckland (including Northland), Waikato (including the Bay of Plenty), Central (the lower North Island, just south of Turangi) and Southern (the entire South Island).

In the old days there were six broadcast regions: Auckland, Hamilton, Palmerston North, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin.

TV3 (now Three) and Prime, however, also offered regional advertising. TV3 had four regions (Auckland/Northland, Waikato/BOP, lower North Island and South Island) and Prime, five (Auckland/Northland, Waikato/BOP, lower North Island, South Island and Dunedin/Southland).

1 Like

Sorry I mean this side of the ditch, as in where I am, Australia, I was asking about NZ, I know about Australia’s haha.

So the broadcasters make their own regions but like they’re not legislated regions like they are here.
Does the programming change at all? And why did local tv news not survive on the main networks?

1 Like

In NZ, everything’s changed - especially regional news and programming. We have a smaller amount of regional television stations these days, e.g. 39 Southern Television (Otago/Southland), Wairarapa TV and Television Hawke’s Bay.

With the arrival of the new Holmes programme in 1989, TVNZ had decided to cut down on the regional news and make most of its staff redundant. Auckland’s Top Half and Wellington’s Today Tonight were axed at the end of that year as ‘the bright lights of regional television’ began to fade, according to John McDermott, a TVNZ journalist at the time.

In 1990 The Mainland Touch (Christchurch) and The South Tonight (Dunedin) remained on air until the regional news was dropped altogether, finishing on 14 December.

So there’s no enforced regions or regional programming requirements? The stations can do what they want, which appears to be nil?

2 Likes

Here’s a mock advertisement promoting PTV Sport.

According to the mock advertisement, as shown above, it is intended that ‘coverage of the finest sporting events in the world will be free-to-air across PTV, Shake, Bold, Peach and the PTV Pop Up channels (the free-to-air version of the real-life Sky Sport Pop Up channels) on your TV’- most of these, including the All Blacks’ international rugby tests, would be ‘live and free’.

I created PTV Sport Select as a linear television narrowcasting service for pubs, clubs and TAB outlets, whereby major local and international sporting events would be beamed to customers on special 4.5 metre satellite dishes and special set-top boxes. And because it’s made possible through a unique transmission system, I describe PTV Sport Select as a programme viewers won’t be able to watch at home.

And when it comes to sports streams, similar to Sky Sport Now and Spark Sport (in real life), viewers could stream ‘live and on-demand sport on any device with PTV+ and a Premium subscription’. I describe PTV+ Premium as a commercial-free version of PTV+ and a paid subscription tier, whereby viewers could watch their favourite on-demand entertainment and get access to ‘Premium exclusive’ content, similar to ITVX Premium in the UK, at a price that suits them every month.

PTV+ Premium would incorporate the best of HBO, Showtime and many others along with Disney+, Netflix, Prime Video and AMC+ which, in real life, offer standalone subscriptions.

PTV+ Premium subscription pricing would be divided into three options: Option 1 is $19.99 per month; Option 2 (including Disney+), $29.99 per month; and Option 3 (including Disney+ and live/on-demand sports content from PTV Sport), $39.99 per month. By subscribing to Option 3 of PTV+ Premium, passionate viewers would stream live sporting events along with full replays and highlights packages on demand.

2 Likes