Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

Definitely not broke, Prime Media Group announced a net half year profit of $17.4 million last December

Dreadful copy in this promo. National Mutual was the major sponsor of Prime News at that period.

2 Likes

The red ribbon wraparound whatever at the start of the bulletin and during the bulletin makes me think of the old Nine 2012-15 graphics package…

2 Likes
3 Likes

Managed to catch the North Coast version of Prime7 News for the first time (well, on proper TV anyway) since the relaunch. The banter between Madelaine & Kenny is improving, Guy Fenton is an OK weather presenter, but I’m not really warming to the very red On-Air Presentation or Prime7’s format for news in general.

I can see potential for Prime7 to produce a local news service with near-metro standards of presentation again (they came pretty darn close around the 2013-14 timeframe before the launch of the 6.30pm bulletin and everything else), but I’m not too sure if they’re quite there yet.

5 Likes

Still better than Nine’s regional production (and WIN by a far mile) IMO.

1 Like

That user imposed watermark is really annoying, worse than anything the television networks do.

1 Like

Agree, it’s a very high quality bulletin. GWN-7 is up there too.

2 Likes

The North West version (first time on Youtube after weeks) also worked well. I’m very impressed in their presentation, though budget-constraint.

As much as I don’t agree with user generated watermarks, knowing the uploader elsewhere online I understand why he does it.

Speaking of watermarks…Prime7’s solid red one they use on all the bulletins and updates. The timing of that could be a bit better when coming in/out of segments IMO! :confused:

2 Likes

Interesting read, I feel that if GWN was to review its commitment to local news Seven Perth will probably step in and start producing local news like QLD.

4 Likes

Except that unlike QLD Seven doesn’t own the regional affiliate in WA.

5 Likes

I know, however I think Seven would probably consider the purchase from Prime (if for sale) to strengthen there commitment not just for Perth but in Western Australia. Big talent would be wasted and Noel and Shauna have a lot of credibility in regional WA areas, and the fact that they are the only ones still dedicated to regional WA with Win being out the door for a few years now.

1 Like

The main issue coming to mind is the fact that GWN News is doing well in ratings for decades.

When it’s the only local news in the state, it would be worrying if it wasn’t #1.

7 Likes

Prime Media Group needs to re-define its relationship with profit and update its business model!

The Golden West Network was established as a group of stations precisely because rural television is a low-profit marketplace. None the less, Prime Media Group posted a profit in 2016 of $27.3 million. As a comparison Network Ten posted a LOSS of $157 million.

Yes, terrestrial television profits are in decline the world over - but it’s time Prime dragged its business model out of 1989. Profit is moving away from advertising and toward content. Prime should be considering how it can produce content that can earn money. For example, Prime dipped its toe in the documentary space recently with Ray Martin doing a special on drugs in country areas. Prime could make a strategic decision to become a serious producer of quality documentaries (like Channel 4 in the UK). There are entire countries with a viewer base lower than Prime’s (over 5 million) that produce a LOT more saleable television content than does Prime.

Prime should also consider how it can improve its web revenue. It has local journalists, why aren’t its local news sites more prolific? Why not consider partnerships with regional radio and press to deliver content rich local news sites?

Finally, the issue of streaming. Prime needs to update the way it delivers content through streaming services. If it had content that is. If Prime wants to continue to piggy-back on Seven without re-evalutating it’s profitable buiness model, it will be at its peril.

I for one am SICK of regional networks moaning about low profits. Who ever promised they would get rich in country areas? However, there is opportunity there if you start considering yourself as a multimedia content company and not just a relay service for Seven.

12 Likes

A lot of regional players seem hesitant to produce their own content as they’re effectively paying their metro partners for content already. So if the regional wants to produce something for 7.30pm Monday, they have to pay for the content production and whatever percentage they’re paying their metro partner.

On the other hand, WIN has managed to make advertorial/branded content like ‘Fishing Australia’ work for them. Can’t see why Prime/GWN can’t develop this more. They could also allow independent producers to buy airtime from them to produce their own advertorial/branded content like WIN and Southern Cross are more open to.

Every time I see WA ratings GWN News at 530 is literally the #2 or #3 show for the entire week across the WA market.

The WA market is 500,000 people (same as Tasmania) and they have no competition in local news.

Honestly - Prime is once again using the threat of axing local news for media reform. If they can’t turn on a profit or at least absorb the operating cost with the #2 show in a market of half a million people they are doing something wrong as a broadcaster.

The halo affect of having local news for decades in WA and the #2 show on all of TV in WA should not be underestimated.

They pay 4% of their revenue to the Govt to broadcast on publicly owned airwaves. 4% That is a very small amount of their revenue to broadcast - without these airwaves they have no business at all. So 4% of revenue to ensure they have a business is not asking a lot. All We really ask in return is what - at least 22 minutes of local content a day out of 24 hours of networked programming? Hardly a big ask to be able to operate your entire business on publicly owned real estate (airwaves)

I wish the TV networks and stations would stop complaining.
I would actually be for removing the license fees and increasing Australian content requirements from 55% to say 65% on the networks - and increasing local news requirements on any station to at least an hour a day (weekdays) and half an hour a day (weekends)

7 Likes

Agreed! Broadcasters need to realise that they are using public property to provide a public service. It’s great (and necessary) that they make a profit, but that is not their only mission.

If they don’t want to or don’t think they can profitably fulfil their purpose, they should leave it to others who think they can.

3 Likes

Why should they get a free kick when it comes to licence fees? They consume a public resource (in spectrum), that should at least go to help defray the cost of managing our spectrum requirements

4 Likes