Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

Prime built the large Watson studios in 1988, back when they actually made television. Aggregation was full of promises in terms of local television production. The Prime ‘network’ as it was called in the 80s ‘relocated’ to Canberra with an impressive HQ just across the paddock from CTC-10. It was a much bigger market than they had ever had before, so they properly went for it.

Today, one reason for using two separate studios would be so the weather and news can be recorded at the same time. Not to say they do this (I haven’t worked at Prime for 10 years), but it makes things more efficient when you’ve got several bulletins to record before 6pm.

5 Likes

Oh yeah. WIN News weather was also pre-recorded before each bulletin recording.

Where they don’t actually run a local bulletin

Prime7 news promos up on the local news pages promo itself dosnt use the current prime7 news logo

1 Like

Links to a few versions of the promo:

Border
North West
[North Coast]
(https://www.facebook.com/Prime7NewsNorthCoast/videos/vb.274886049195185/1615553041795139/?type=3&theater)

I’m not really sure about that “Prime7 Local News” logo. Also it sounds like weekend weather update (and sometimes weeknight weather fill-in) presenter Craig Moore is doing the voiceover.

2 Likes

Bit of a nod to the past by renaming it Prime7 Local News. But you’re right the logo doesn’t look quite right.

3 Likes

I dont think that would be the final logo, and I don’t think they are renaming it, unless if I’ve missed something? I guess, we will find out on Monday

Does anyone know why they decided to have dual presenters? it reminds me of when Seven News Gold Coast commenced, Nine got dual presenters. Now its Prime getting dual presenters against Nine’s Local News.

Come Monday I doubt gwn7 will change anything

Yea, I was wondering about GWN7, there’s no promos or anything hinting a refresh, so I’d imagine we’ll have to wait longer to receive the new look. That Prime7 Local News logo looks very odd with that matchup of those fonts! Hopefully we’ll see something different come Monday.

2 Likes

The two presenters is to be a point of difference against WIN and Nine.

That promo is shocking - the graphics and copy “the best and brightest news” - what the hell is bright news?

And the logo - jesus. A mess. It’s not a logo it’s fonts awkwardly together on the screen.

I guess adding LOCAL back in they are tapping into Localism - as the new 9 NEWS has a more national look / feel.

I’m not hoping for anything good come Monday based on this promo

1 Like

Are Natalie Forrest, Daniel Gibson & Craig Moore still at Prime7 News for regional VIC, Canberra, Wollongong & Newcastle?

Also is the 6:30pm national Prime7 News bulletin comtinuing?

I like how the dual-presenter format for Prime7 News bulletins in regional NSW is now streamlined and consistent presenter/presentation wise across the state.

Whether this means ratings will be the same or grow or drop I’m not too sure. Especially with WIN News still relatively strong & increased competition from SCA Nine.

As far as I’m aware, yes.

Yes. If it was axed, I’m sure we would’ve heard an announcement.

It’ll be interesting to see the dynamics of Madelaine & Kenny as a presenting duo. Hopefully there’ll be some banter where appropriate and both presenters won’t be as awkward together as some other dual-presenters on regional TV news.

It would be interesting to see what the ratings are like for regional news in markets where Prime7 News competes with WIN/NBN.

2 Likes

Apologies for the double post, but it definitely seems that there will be some branding changes made to Prime7 News tonight.

First taste of the new look Update Supers, courtesy of a video posted to one of their Facebook pages:

I can’t say that I’m overly impressed with this look, but I’ll reserve my full judgement until I see an actual bulletin tonight! For better or worse (personally I think the latter), it seems that the current version of the Seven News theme will also be used by Prime7 News from tonight judging by the updates posted on various Prime7 News Facebook pages.

The Facebook/Twitter profile cover photos have been changed to this:

…and of course, these promotional posts have been made across the various Prime7 News Facebook & Twitter pages for the regions affected:

5 Likes

Can confirm this is correct for Bendigo, Natalie Forrest and Gibson during week and Craig Moore doing weather on the weekend. Shepparton has been mentioned before to get Prime7 national news updates instead of local updates, unsure about Mildura but I am guessing they are the same as Shepparton

2 Likes

Well, there goes all of my write-up of some of the changes on the social media side. :stuck_out_tongue: Luckily, I had only just started! :wink: Nice that Prime7 News will benefit with a new look tonight, hopefully GWN7 will receive the same soon.

2 Likes

I don’t mind the Prime7 Local News logo, but I don’t think we will see much of this. As for the supers, they look nice and clean, but the social media logos I don’t like, they should be flat and white

1 Like

Updated Profile Picture, using the Local News tagline:

Suits the current Profile Picture for Prime7’s main Facebook page:

4 Likes

The addition of “Local News” is quite interesting.

New set and the opener is a throwback to the past

5 Likes