Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

Maybe a sign to come? Possibly new graphics? We will have to wait and see on Monday 13th

How long has the current set, graphics and opener been is use for?

If I’m not mistaken…

*Theme Music - When the 2005 blue “Prime News” graphics were introduced.
*Weather Graphics - May 2013 (or thereabouts)
*Set & OTS Graphics - April 27, 2015
*Most other graphics - November 16, 2015, with some slight tweaks (most notably a shrinking of the supers and new headline transitions) made in June last year.

Of course, many of the current graphics were largely tweaked versions of the 2013-15 graphics (which themselves were heavily modified versions of the 2011-13 graphics which were launched when Prime rebranded as Prime7).

4 Likes

I saw a promo for Prime7 News with the new 7 music, the promo was in relation to Mondays change.

4 Likes

I don’t know what to say, but I guess we should not expect that much when it comes to the theme music. Prime and GWN kept the best version of The Mission, so chances of updating the theme music by Monday is ZERO! And guys like @SydneyCityTV agrees with that fact.

2 Likes

I think it’s pretty obvious that by the promos the theme IS going to change.

1 Like

Southern Cross use the new theme on some promo stuff but still haven’t adapted it on the main bulletin yet - just sayin.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was aware of Southern Cross News in Tasmania using the 2016-current Seven News theme for the “Jo Palmer Returns” promos a few weeks back but wasn’t quite sure whether the main bulletin was using it or not.

Personally, I think that updating the set & graphics (which look absolutely awful IMO, especially compared to what they had around 2013) should be a bigger priority for Prime7 News than updating the theme music. Better still would be to cut back on the amount of filler or “generic regional issues” reports in their local bulletins, but that will more than likely not happen of course.

1 Like

I think the chances that Prime7/GWN7 News updating their theme music to the current Seven News theme is about the same as WIN ditching Cool Hand Luke lol

3 Likes

To be honest, they’re doing a right sight better than SC News Tasmania. They’re still using Seven’s dreadful 2011 graphics (I used to cringe every time I saw them on Seven, I still do…). But you’re right, with Seven’s new graphics package, now would be a good opportunity for both Prime7/GWN7 News and SC News (SA and Tasmania) to adopt the new look.

5 Likes

I hope they have a new set that doesn’t feature red retangles and geometric shapes that remind of of the Hong Kong skyline.

Hopefully a set something along the Lines of 7 News Gold Coast. Simple but nice looking set up.

Video wall backdrop that can be switched out each bulletin with localized backdrops and stories. - and a plasma for GFX and weather

1 Like

Nice idea. But the news studio and the weather wall need to be merged into a single, decent and wide studio, like what NBN News have in Newcastle.

Why?

Well, as far as studio space is concerned, the desk where the presenter reads the news is in one studio. There is actually a weather plasma for Prime7 News, but it has been on a separate studio for years. GWN7 in WA had the news and weather presented from a single studio, so why Prime7 needs to spend much for two studios? That’s my thought.

Question:

This has probably been brought up before, but considering Prime7’s dominance in VIC, why don’t the 5 sub-markets get their own Prime7 News bulletins?

WIN News is the only prominant local service.

NB/
Considering Prime7 News has bulletins in northern NSW, a market they lose to NBN (at least around Newcastle/Hunter) :disappointed:

Isn’t this always the way with border cities though?

Albury is bigger and is in NSW… But has always received VIC television, newspapers, much of southern NSW/Riverena are AFL areas, etc?

Canberra is more NSW-focused and has more journalists from Sydney than Melbourne, despite the city being built to be in-between Sydney and Melbourne.

Tweed Heads, et. al. would get a lot of Gold Coast and QLD stuff.

Etc. Correct?

1 Like

WIN is quoted as saying it costs around $20m a year to run 20 or so local news services.

So you’d be looking at around $5m a year for Prime7 to start up 5 bulletins in Victoria

But the start up costs would be massive. To hire all those new staff, build news rooms from
The ground up, technology, sets, equipment. A large investment.

My guess is 7 News Melbourne rates competively for Prime7 in Victoria, so perhaps the investment is not justified

5 Likes

I have wondered this myself prime7 news updates are a class above the news updates that Win and SC9 provide. For my region i have said before prime covers better because Win Bendigo can not be bothered sending reporters up into the Mallee. Its a shame they dont put their efforts into a full news bulltin restricted their efforts into their updates that air betwewn 7pm and midnight is a waste

Also with 9 News Victoria about to launch across the state I don’t see Prime7 jumping into the local news game in Victoria anytime Soon

2 Likes

I think Prime7 will primarily focus on the markets they currently run full local bulletins in for the meantime. In the regions that they don’t have full local news and only run short updates, I think Prime7 would be hoping to pick up an audience currently watching SCA Nine which prefers watching a Sydney or Melbourne based news bulletin.

But of course, I certainly would not rule out the possibility of any changes in the future.

2 Likes

despite Prime promising to launch local news across Victoria in the lead-up to aggregation, including building a studio in Ballarat, in the 25 years since they’ve never shown an interest in actually doing so. I wonder if the failed attempts to launch local news bulletins in Canberra ended up spooking them out of doing it across Victoria.

I would imagine Prime won’t extend local news in Victoria beyond Albury in any time in the short or long term future.

2 Likes