Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

And National montage:

2 Likes

Why does Prime7 still not have news bulletins in its highest-rating (of the major markets) Victoria?

Baffles me beyond belief they aren’t capitalising.

TVs are already locked-on Peter Mitchell / Jennifer Keyte in Ballarat / Bendigo / Albury, etc. Why no local!?

WIN News must be making a killing over the years there!

Apparently Prime7 News is No. 1 in this market now.

I haven’t seen much in the way of recent TV news ratings in regional markets but if Prime7 is #1 or #2 in the areas where they opt to run Seven News on relay from Sydney or Melbourne rather than producing local news, then they probably feel that’s good enough since it’s probably cheaper to relay the capital city news than producing local content.

Although it does have to be said that Prime7 is hardly the only network which runs with the “our audience is used to this and it works, so we’re keeping things the way they are” theory when it comes to their news service(s).

I have no doubt that WIN News has rated very well in Victoria in the past (particularly when WIN was affiliated with Nine), but I’d personally be very interested to know what the ratings of WIN News’ bulletins for regional Victoria were like in 2017 compared to the numbers for the more recently launched product on SCA Nine.

Yeah, I seem to recall Prime7 boasting about that in a press release - particularly because they were winning the ratings in the Northern part of the viewing area where NBN previously dominated.

2 Likes

My guess is that Prime decided it was too expensive to set up local news operations in markets like Ballarat and Bendigo for the return that they MIGHT get on it given that WIN and also in the case of Bendigo (in the early years of aggregation) where Southern Cross also had local news.

They may have also been deterred by the failure of local news expansions into Newcastle, Wollongong and Canberra.

And I don’t think that local news is quite the “goldmine” that you think it is, not only with set up costs, but ongoing costs to produce and staff the bulletins as well as maintenance costs would be quite high.

5 Likes

My word, that’s a snazzy cardigan Kenny’s got on.

1 Like

Looks like tonights Prime7 Local News bulletins on Youtube had rendering problems when they uploaded it. I mean, it scanned to one portion of it.

2 Likes

Never knew Ross Symonds read the Canberra edition of Prime Local News
8 Likes

Another Prime Local News Canberra promo. This time, with Catherine Garrett. Full credit goes to the uploader.

3 Likes

Wagga, Central West and National montages from last night:

It looks like the only element that is in native HD is the transition / title graphics (but not in the opener):

6 Likes

Worth noting that last nights GWN News was the last from their old Bunbury studio. They’ll broadcast from new facilities from Monday. Their Facebook page has a cool ‘tribute’ which was a nice touch.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Do we know where they will be broadcast from now?

Wherever it will be, I reckon there’s a good chance the studio bits will be HD as it should be somewhat “state of the art”’

With thanks to @SEQTelevision for managing to receive/record these on the Gold Coast, a couple of Prime7 News bulletin montages from 17/12/2015:

Prime7 News NSW North Coast
Prime7 “National” News at 6.30pm Regional NSW

While I didn’t really like the On-Air Presentation of Prime7 News at the time (especially the oversized supers which looked ridiculously large on a TV screen!), somehow I think the current look might be even worse!

Although since GWN7 doesn’t have it’s main channel in HD (at least at the moment anyway), viewers won’t be seeing the bulletin in that format!

Presumably on Monday, GWN7 News might become “GWN7 Local News” with the current style of graphics used by Prime7 over East? Hopefully GWN7’s set doesn’t have the same “overkill red” look, but I wouldn’t be overly surprised if it does.

2 Likes

So, I presume that live WA news can be either from GWN7’s new premises in Perth (which is plausible, considering that Brunning and Shauna will continue to present the local news) or (worst case scenario) be a victim of parent headquarters centralisation (which in this case mean the Prime headquarters in Canberra).

No, they are moving to central Bunbury

3 Likes

Some caps of the old studio. Just noticed the giant 7 to the left of the red LCD section. Interesting.

A couple of shots of the new studio, not giving away much!:

10 Likes

27752250_2088374031178935_363465417918417982_n

6 Likes

Thought this was quite funny :joy:

25 Likes

What a relief.

3 Likes