Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

Must’ve missed this.

That’s an historic win. NBN must be shocked.

That was for just one month.

According to latest promos capped here, Seven News Sydney is No. 1 in Canberra (at 6pm).

Canberra’s No. 1 newshour / Canberra’s No. 1

But again, is that just for recent weeks / months? Or is it truly year-to-date?

Have Prime or any other regional issued a YTD statement yet? When does the RegionalTAM survey end?

1 Like

Some Noodle Updates from last night:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t think it’s year to date, but interesting to see 7 back at number one in Canberra. Just shows you people aren’t too bothered about “local” news - unless we’re seeing a lot of those viewers switch to ABC at 7pm.

I must admit, I think I’d rather watch news presented from a real set with actual camera work if I lived in Cbr!

1 Like

He does, along with filling in on noodle updates occasionally (as shows above).

1 Like

Judging by @Abesty’s posts and the clips he’s uploaded, Prime7 had been running the same “Canberra’s No.1 News Hour” promo (with the inserted footage regularly updated) from at least February this year until last week when the template was updated to reflect the current promotional style for Seven News Sydney.

I’m not sure what the 6pm news ratings in Canberra have been like recently but since the new promo template includes a “Canberra’s Number 1 News Hour” super and a “Canberra’s No.1” endtag, it’s probably fair to presume that Prime7 have done well in the ratings this year. Since we’re currently in the final week of the 2017 ratings season, I suspect we’ll soon see a press release from Prime7 and/or Nine boasting about their ratings success for the year.

1 Like

And it’ll be epic, as the year-end assessment is up for both sides, such as improvement (yeah Nine, we’re waiting for your output) and other stuff.

1 Like

On and off though - 9 was leading in the winter (for a time). Obviously 7 has something to boast about as of the most recent results. It will be fascinating to see the viewer trends for the whole year. It will be the first time EVER that Canberrans are choosing to watch Sydney news when TWO localised options are available at the same time.

I wonder if 9 will make any changes as a response. I’m not sure they have the right anchor, but neither does WIN. WIN should get someone like Tracey Spicer - would be a nicer fit with the Ten audience. While they’re at it, how about a real set?! Their chromakey looks like a cheap webcast show.

2 Likes

Two things to watch for from my POV. Is Nine Canberra rating better than WIN did when it was on the 9 Network? And are there more viewers at 6pm than in 2016.

[before I get kicked off the site, I know this is a PRIME/GWN thread, so will stop talking about the competition]

3 Likes

According to my prediction, 2117. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: Nine might get a hard effort, as Prime just recently posted this:
https://twitter.com/prime7tv/status/936096195121958912

4 Likes

4BD98609-D8BF-4A35-ACE5-D3291B59D723

7 Likes

Hey Nine!

26 Likes

Shouldn’t that be counted as a Tongue-in-cheek mock?

Good on Prime, they saw the competition was coming, invested in their on-screen talent and got the results! Viewers tend to migrate to the presenters they like (in the absence of other differentiation) and Prime worked on that.

I’m most pleased they have beat WIN - which is now a bigger television network than any in NZ, Ireland, Austria or Switzerland in terms of potential reach, but they still cry poor!

Charles Curran said it best years ago: today’s TV market is about quality content. WIN is stuck in the 80s where they think viewers will ‘get what they’re given’. Network television is about live ‘must see’ moments now - we’ll download the rest thanks.

11 Likes

now all they need to do is restart the Newcastle, Wollongong and Canberra services, apply the same formula and go from there. It is possible and I think viewers there deserve better. If they chose to apply themselves, they could go number 1 in those markets. I think they could…with a few tweaks yes.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen any Newcastle TV ratings for a while, but last I heard, Prime7 had about 2/3rds the size of the audience that NBN had between 6-7pm. Thats a considerably better share than what they had when they were airing Prime Local News, which was only getting about a quarter of the size of NBN’s ratings.

And Seven News on Prime7 Canberra seems to be doing okay too.

I think there is a bigger likelihood of WIN starting a Newcastle bulletin than there is of Prime7 going back to a local bulletin here.

Though I still find it weird that smaller markets like Orange get a choice of THREE local news bulletins between from 6pm, but here in Newcastle and the Hunter, which has a combined population of over 500,000, there’s only 1 choice.

2 Likes

Karl Lijnders doing weather updates today as they have been put up on facebook as its on the prime7 news border and wagga pages also says there will be an update on the 7 news from 6

as well as updates with madeleine collignon

Both WIN and Prime7 should be made to produce something. Even if it takes someone taking a loaded gun (either a literal loaded gun or threat of license cancellation, or both) to the heads of WIN and Prime7 and told, in no uncertain terms…produce a bulletin for Newcastle. Do it. Or die. I’m serious.

Imagine if someone brought NEC and decided that the model of Sinclair Broadcast Group, that is, inserting politically loaded pieces that heavily favored one side of politics, especially if they have certain politically sensitive assets in the Newcastle market (like a coal mine, or a desire to build skyscrapers), and used NBN as a battering ram to get their way. Not good for democracy, especially with no competing local TV news, the Herald and ABC on shaky ground, two sets of commercial radio stations whose news departments I wouldn’t say are especially strong on news, and no out and out independent media. Not good for democracy.

You may think I’m over reacting, but you need some competition. Newcastle is treated with contempt by all and sundry. I’d be saying to Prime7, use this as an opportunity to shift Northern news production to Newcastle, solid 30 minutes news, ditch both Blockhead Fergurson and Daniel Gibson and poach from NBN folks to come across, you know Nine will start taking the scalpel to them soon, and take them on.

Not only will you be helping Northern NSW out by improving the news output, but I’d reckon the Canberra team would be getting a handy break too - less work to worry about by some degree.

2 Likes

Completely agree that regional broadcasters should be forced to produce something. I would go so far as to say they must broadcast 22mins of locally produced content between 6pm and 8pm seven nights a week.

Once you force a network to produce something, it is in their interests to make is profitable. Home & Away, for example, is only produced because networks are forced by law to make Australian drama. It’s a huge international success due to investment in the production. Of course, local television is not meant to be an international success - but WIN moans that local news is a ‘drain’ on the business. Well, if you’re in the business of television I think you ought to actually make some!

I would love to see WIN broadcasting from Coffs Harbour again and Prime from Tamworth, but I think sadly, those days are gone.

3 Likes