Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

Gosh that’s ugly as all sin.

The hilarious thing is they’re pretty damn close to what Seven had on air at the time. Just goes to demonstrate how fugly Seven News’ graphics were back then.

3 Likes

Here’s the a montage of the cut down version of Seven News Melbourne on Prime7 Albury.

The headlines are not shown, as they begin at the title card with “This is Seven News” VO. They then play some of the first segment, before transitioning to an ad break straight after a news report finishes. Presumably after this break they join the bulletin live for sport. They don’t show any finance report.

9 Likes

That OTS at about 45 seconds in is horrific.

1 Like

I’d be interested if Seven do a better job cutting down the Brisbane news themselves for Regional Queensland. Seems like it would be way too heavily weighted towards sport like that.

Prime (and indeed 7Qld) should run Seven News live at 6 on 7Two with a replay of Prime News at 7pm.

1 Like

Promo …

2 Likes

And cannibalise the audience… disagree. They get the gist of what they need, worst case scenario, they could telecast 7 NEWS Melbourne in full late night on 7TWO or Seven if they really wanted to.

I wonder does PRiME7 News do finance?

That’s interesting that Prime 7 uses “Make The Switch” in that promo…
That to me implies that it isn’t the top rated news bulletin in that timeslot in Albury … which I thought it was?

Or has that all been lifted straight from a Seven Melbourne promo?

How ridiculous. There is more sport than news in that case

1 Like

They’d be able to promote a cumulative audience of two airings of Prime7 News - that’s unlikely to be cannibalising. They could air a delayed hour starting at 6:30 if they were really concerned.

I don’t think the goal is for people to get the gist of news.

I don’t think so, for now. But it could be a good compromise if you hate the trimmed down version of the national news.

Why don’t they show the National News with Daniel Gibson and make it less state specific? Like what they do in central west NSW and northern NSW markets?

They have had their own bulletin ever since Seven News went to one hour(or shortly after) so that they can still show Home and Away at 7pm and not have a 30 minute Sydney bulletin trimmed to 30 minutes.

Well I as a viewer would far prefer to have a proper 30 minute bulletin not one that’s been cut short. I remember Prime when Canberra had local news used to chop the Sydney bulletin short sometimes mid sentence to show a customised closer with Ross Symonds it was very unprofessional.

Prime7 has chose to air their own 30 minute bulletin with National news - rather than a Sydney centric one. For whatever reason we don’t exactly know

Yup. As far as I remember, @SydneyCityTV mentioned in one of its uploads on Youtube that Prime7 presumably doesn’t want NSW full bulletin regions (except Albury) to get alienated by shifting to trimmed down versions. Their own “National” news bulletin controls what stories are “relevant” to regional viewers, although the stories are just relay footage from 7 News.

Might have something to do with the fact they aren’t in Sydney, crazy I know…

1 Like

That wouldn’t really explain Prime7’s decision as they are happy to air the Sydney bulletin in Albury - and they were happy air it across NSW for decades. They re also happy to air the Melbourne bulletin in Victoria and the Perth bulletin in WA. Also happy to air the Sydney bulletin across all of SNSW. So…

Correction: Albury receives programming from Melbourne…not Sydney.

2 Likes

I realise these smaller stations have much fewer resources, staff and budgets - but when there is a major once in 5 year news story in these station’s broadcast area, i believe they owe it to their communities to pull all stops out and provide expanded coverage and information.

As the biggest flood crisis in 10-15 years unfolds - where is Prime7? Nowhere to be seen. They only run on weekdays.

Northern NSW is complete flooded - entire cities (Lismore) have gone under and 50,000 people evacuated. This is a one if 5 or 10 year flood emergency. Prime7 should be doing a special weekend bulletin live at 6pm tonight (sat) and Sunday - as well as providing non stop continuous updates and news / info on social channels for residents.

The Northern Rivers sub-market has about 500,000 people. When a story this huge is unfolding and it’s a natural diastaer of this magnitude they should be broadcasting on weekends. Surely (like any company) it is not to much to expect they budget in for this kind of unforeseen news broadcast once or twice a year at most. Running on public airwaves - they kinda owe that to communities, no?

Likewise the Social channels (FB & Twitter) should be a hub for video, community outreach, posting or dangers road closures, Sunrise & 7 News footage, updates and a forum for people to post amazing photos and videos. Instead the Prime7 North Coast FB page has been dormant for 18 hours.

This is why I don’t feel sorry for these regional stations. They do nothing to serve the communities they are in in time son crisis or major news. Prime7 shuts down 7pm on a Friday even when the biggest news story in 10 years is unfolding on their doorstep. Yet they continually cry poor us. And they really do shit all to give back.

Same could be said for NBN = they should have live northern rivers only bulletin. At least they run local news on weekends.

3 Likes

The cutdown 7 News in Regional QLD from 7 themselves is much the same.

We get an opener, which has irrelevant stories clearly cut out (can hear the news audio jump), then the first few stories air as normal.

Stories that are obviously Brisbane centric are skipped (sometimes leading to one of the two presenters introducing 3 stories in a row).

And the full news segment usually wraps up around 6:39 or 6:40 (about 9-10 minutes into the bulletin) with the last story cutting to vision of one of the two main news presenters sitting in a different room (possibly green screen) saying “Tony has the weather soon… in sport …”.

Then we get a relatively long (4-5 minute sometimes) ad break before we join the sport section live.

The sport, finance, weather, etc. are all then presented live, including the recap on the day’s main stories (which can sometimes include stories that weren’t covered on the cut down version).

This inevidently results in about 9 minutes of news, and 13-15 minutes of sport/weather covered across the whole 30 minutes.

I actually hate watching it, as the sport segment is quite often longer than the news segment.

3 Likes