Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

I don’t think Prime7 have the capacity to do another bulletin in their Canberra studios unless they push back the deadlines even more for their interstate recorded bulletins.

They could try something really unique and record some of their bulletins at Bunbury. Haha.

hence the delay??

if 7 can do, what 8 bulletins out of 1 studio, I am sure Prime can handle another out of their 2.

Assuming they’re not both in on the deception, but just a thought (pure speculation). Of course time will tell.

Or they could do what Nine are about to and pre-record smaller local segments into a combined local/national/international 7News bulletin instead of padding out with trivia a totally separate 30 mn local news bulletin.

Could they not go live into Canberra at 6?

1 Like

In a way it kinda dates make sense that Prime7 (the #1 station in Canberra) is not going to sit by and let Nine come in and steal their 6pm audience.

Even if it’s purely a display of the typical “you did it so we will do it” attitude we see of national Seven and Nine networks. The way they copy each other.

And a read a statement from Tim Worner or someone at Seven that went along the lines of “we expect our affiliate to deliver local news - it’s a big part of the success of our group and an agreement and understanding they do that”

So perhaps when 7 saw 9 is launching in Canberra, there was some pressure from
7 to Prime7 to get something on the air

1 Like

if they had any common sense instead of a three-way battle they’d be better off getting Newcastle up and running for a two-way battle first.

1 Like

Kinda agree. Perhaps there is some prestige in having news in the Capital?

1 Like

I’ll put money on it being a play for pushing a media reform agenda

The irony is that it could be either way - allow us to merge and we can continue/slash these news bulletins

I’d love to see Prime News at 6pm return to Newcastle.

NBN badly needs the competition from a quality perspective.

4 Likes

Absolutely and it would actually mean money being spent by Nine up here, which just doesn’t really happen.

4 Likes

I think the economics of the way NBN and Nine/SCA probably work better (a live one hour statewide/marketwide bulletin, with local inserts) rather than the Prime7/ WIN way (a full half hour of local news)

I also think a live one hour newscast makes for a snappier, fast paced, better produced news

I’d like to see Prime7 produce a one hour NSW edition local news 6-7 with local inserts for each city and region

4 Likes

One problem with NBN’s format is that it is very old fashioned - presenter intro, pre packaged report, presenter info, pre packaged report.

There are rarely any live crosses (there’s occasionally one for a Newcastle item).
There’s only regularly a weather preview to break the monotony of pre packaged reports.

Whilst I acknowledge the Sydney bulletins do contain Sydney centric items, NBN still airs some of these items anyway.

And to me, the interaction between studio presenters and reporters on location on the Sydney bulletins make for a more enjoyable and credible bulletin.

4 Likes

I agree. I don’t think that’s NBNs format. That’s the execution. Yes. It’s incredibly stiff and formal and slow

4 Likes

True, but a whole lot of those live crosses are forced; most don’t add anything to the story, just the presentation. That is a limitation with pre-recorded local inserts into a combined local/national/international news bulletin.
They could still be done live for the main one (e.g. Canberra when 9News Canberra starts in a few weeks, leaving the others [Illawarra, etc.] as per-recorded only), and those others instead could get live-ish ‘…spoke with me/joined me from the scene a short time ago…’, but of course soon if it’s daylight in the live-ish cross & by 6pm it’s night that does risk showing how long ago ‘a short time ago’ was.
Back to the question of 30 minutes of padded-out local only news followed by a 30-minute state/national bulletin versus local inserts into a combo bulletin, I still think the combo that 9News are about to start is the better format. WIN have forever been struggling to find enough local news to fill their bulletin (as I’m sure Prime7 do in the areas they still provide local news), so continuing with the split bulletins format isn’t an advantage.
Are Prime7’s local news bulletins pre-recorded & by the same presenter who does their state/national bulletin (i.e. Daniel Gibson)?
If not & they’re presented live, by someone else in different studios (I’ll be surprised but) then it’s easy to extend those 30 minute local news bulletins to 7News-like 60-minute combo bulletins and that can easily include live crosses, have the stories in the best order for that local area, etc.

1 Like

No, Prime has different presenters for the 6pm local bulletins, though ALL of those are presented from Canberra and most are pre recorded.

Madeleine Collingnon presents the North Coast and North West Slopes bulletins,

1 Like

That café conversation SA-TV recounted makes me think Prime might be looking at doing away with the separate local and national bulletins and following SCA Nine by producing a composite one hour bulletin.

I’m not aware of Prime advertising for additional news staff in Canberra recently so perhaps they aren’t quite ready to re-establish local news in the areas they abandoned years ago. It would be a good use of existing resources, however, for them to do a one hour bulletin with local windows in areas where they have traditionally maintained a full local service.

It wouldn’t be the first time Prime attempted a one hour bulletin covering local and national news. They tried and failed back in 1993 when they attempted to take on WIN and Capital in Canberra by raiding talent from the market leader, Capital.

Prime could look at re-entering the local news battle in Canberra, Wollongong and Newcastle with the composite bulletin once the one hour format is bedded down in the markets they already service. It makes sense for them to have another go now that Prime7 is the number one network across most of regional Australia.

5 Likes

I like what the US networks (and Seven in Sydney occasionally) do with the reporter doing a brief piece to camera at the end of their report then throwing back to the presenter/s. Ideally it should be live but no reason why they couldn’t be pre-recorded, maybe even with a newsroom backdrop to avoid issues with winter broadcasts.

The add a nice pace to the bulletin and create a nice flow from one story to the next. Wouldn’t be any extra work if they were pre-recorded and packaged in with the stories.

2 Likes

I think someone needs remind the weather guy not to stand in front of the temperatures on the map. Not much point having them on the plasma if you can’t read them…

5 Likes

TVTonight says Prime7 News goes to a double header with
Kenny Heatley and Madaline Collignon from
Monday Feb 13.

Also:

Prime7 News Chief Paul Patrick said, “Madelaine and Kenny will be a formidable duo up front in what is only the first of many changes Prime7 is unveiling over the coming weeks as we herald a new approach to news reporting"

Please a new look and sets to match Seven

6 Likes

Composite bulletin?

1 Like