Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

Prime’s “National News” only airs in their NSW markets that get local news.
Albury, being part of the Victorian licence area, gets a cut down version of Seven News Melbourne at 6:30. The usual format is at 6:30 they play from the start of the bulletin (without opener and headlines) until the first ad break, then when they come back from the ad break they join Seven news live for sport.

4 Likes

They could also inject the “General Regional Issues” segments that they usually air in the local news.

1 Like

I don’t think separate ones will work, unless if they split Kenny and Madelaine to do NSW and Victoria separately, I don’t think that’s probably gonna happen unless if they get another decent presenter.

Realistically, if they ever introduce composite formats, they’re probably gonna go with 8 different local windows for everything, and if they introduce such format to Newcastle, Illawarra and Canberra, that’s a whopping 11 if they do proceed with this plan. I don’t think it’s gonna work that way either.

Any suggestions?

2 Likes

Looks like you have got your wish… I just saw Isabel Moussalli reading updates tonight.

2 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile:

Another loss for Sunday Night with a senior producer exiting. The show really does seem to have lost its way under the leadership of Hamish Thomson. High staff turnover and odd story choices.

PRIME7 today announced the appointment of Glenn Connley as News Editor of its Albury and Wagga Wagga local news bulletins.

PRIME7’s Head of News, Paul Patrick said, “Glenn’s extensive experience in news gathering and production will be invaluable in maintaining the PRIME7 Local News market position, as the leading local news provider across the Border and Riverina regions”.

“I couldn’t be more excited to be joining PRIME7. This is a great time to be working in regional television news and it’s a privilege to join the team at Australia’s undisputed number one regional television network”, added Connley.

“I grew up in a small country town watching regional news. This feels like the perfect fit for me after more than twenty-five years working in commercial news, public affairs and sport in Sydney, Melbourne, London and Singapore.”

Glenn Connley began his media career with the Herald Sun in 1990. He then went onto positions at radio station 3AW in Melbourne, ESPN, StarHub and has held senior reporter roles at both the Nine Network and Network TEN.

Most recently Glenn was employed as a senior producer for the Seven Network’s Sunday Night program.

Glenn Connley’s position is effective immediately.

1 Like

Just a thought, maybe the Prime Network could ask to get someone known in more than just NSW, like Ann Sanders to present a shortened version of Seven News at 6:30pm for regional news markets across NSW and Victoria markets where Local News screen or maybe start it at 6pm and then have a shortened Prime News bulletin from 6:40 or 6:45pm

so really its noodle national news updates and sport for regional Victoria?

These are from a few weeks ago, but I’ve just uploaded videos of both the North Coast and the 6.30 edition of Prime7 News…

6 Likes

Wow!
I like red… but this is just far too much!

Also, don’t like those full screen transitions “Coming up…”, “Local Sport”, “Local Weather”… just ugly in my opinion.

3 Likes

Promo:

4 Likes

Wow, you need to know about a turtle eating fruit, Iron Man skating, and that barely legible black text on a dark background.
(Obviously seeing nonsense in news promos isn’t just a Prime7 thing.)
At least they weren’t put off showing a bit with “7 News First” watermarks across the screen.

5 Likes

Material from last week:

9 Likes

Great effort with the recordings as always, abesty! :slight_smile:

I wonder how long the North Coast edition of Prime7 News has been running a Surf Report for? Because I don’t remember seeing one during the bulletin when I was in the viewing area back in March.

2 Likes

Prime7 News claiming victory over NBN News across the Northern Rivers.

PRIME7 AWARD WINNING LOCAL NEWS HISTORY MAKING VICTORY
NBN NEWS NOW NO.2

PRIME7 is officially the new No.1 for local news across the Northern Rivers in 2017.
Having won 21 survey weeks year-to-date, PRIME7 LOCAL NEWS is in an unassailable position claiming victory over NBN.

PRIME7 LOCAL NEWS WITH MADELAINE COLLIGNON AND KENNY HEATLEY is the most watched local news bulletin in the Northern Rivers market with a commanding 42.6% commercial primary channel share in the 6.00pm - 6.30pm weeknight timeslot. NINE Affiliate NBN is behind with a 39.0% audience share.

Commenting on the historical win, PRIME7 Head of News, Paul Patrick said, “People living and working across the Northern Rivers region clearly prefer PRIME7’s full half hour of local news, sport and weather. Already this year PRIME7 LOCAL NEWS has been awarded with industry accolades for its coverage of the Lismore floods and, now, an even greater reward in becoming the preferred local news service for the Northern Rivers community.”
“There will be no resting on our laurels, our dedicated and experienced news reporting teams will continue to deliver the news that matters most to the local community”, Patrick added.

Source: Regional TAM: Free-to-Air, Northern Rivers, Total People, 6.00pm – 6.30pm Monday to Friday, Commercial Primary Shares, Week 7-40 2017, Cons 7 Data up to September 29th otherwise overnight

8 Likes

Hmmm I thought NBN was absolutely thrashing its competition in NNSW? Perhaps it’s only Newcastle/Central Coast?

4 Likes

You will find that people will tune into familiar formats. In Newcastle, an area originally served by NBN TV has had an hour-long news bulletin has aired since April 1972, whereas in since the early 1980s, the areas of NSW known as New England, North Coast and Northern Rivers regions have had half hour editions of local news on areas previously served solely by NEN and NRTV. In 1991, NRTV began airing an hour long edition using a similar format to NBN TV unless its axing in the mid 1990s.

On 31 December 1991, saw television aggregation in northern NSW and a return of that half hour local bulletin on Prime TV (formerly known as NEN) .

NEN, has been known as Prime TV since 1989, has continued with its half hour format and continues to serve as an alternative to a combined local/national/international bulletin

This is why people in areas outside of Newcastle might tune into Prime instead of NBN.

1 Like

@jcb301176

You will find that people will tune into familiar formats.

I wouldn’t over-emphasise that; the NBN News thread there often has had comments about how Nine’s news service still shows too many Newcastle local news stories in other areas, so perhaps it’s just a logical preference for a news service which provides news of interest to the viewers?

1 Like

That’s why I used the word “might”.

I did live on the North Coast and in the Northern Rivers region for years so I know the mentality of a lot of them. As you said on the NBN News thread there often has had comments about how Nine’s news service still shows too many Newcastle local news stories in other areas, which could also be a factor to many tuning into the alternative news service.

In Newcastle, there is no local news competition, so they could dish out whatever they want news wise and no one would know if they were the “top” news stories of the day.

take note of the times - 6 to 6.30

Prime doesn’t like to point out that at 6.30 the arse falls out of their “news” service.