Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

True but you could use the same argument for Seven Maroochydore.

I’m sure Seven realises a pre-recorded local news produced in Sydney up against NBN News isn’t going to cut through though.

Geoff Phillips would have been a great option for a “Seven News Illawarra” bulletin at one point in time, however he has been retired for a number of years now. Seven would have to offer him a huge sum of money to lure him out of retirement!

If I was the news director at Seven and responsible for hiring a presenter for the Illawarra/South Coast bulletin, Melissa Russel would be my top pick for the role. She’s a great newsreader and arguably even better than Bruce Roberts IMO, but she’s behind him in the pecking order at WIN.

Stephen Murphy presenting the noodle updates

To be honest, I don’t think he’d be a good fit for Seven News. Very well known and a stalwart in the region, but I feel he’s past his prime.

8 Likes

Wouldn’t someone good be a better option?

Absolutely, they’d want someone with energy. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but there’s a reason he never went further than Win.

Getting Lobb would be great for that region, but I don’t necessarily think he’s a good presenter. Same with Brough, Mitchell, Brunning. I often wonder how they got there and what it is that makes them popular. But the viewers seem to resonate with these presenters. There’s something familiar that they like about them. I think it would work in Seven’s favour rather than recruiting a new face.

Yeah I agree. He wouldn’t be my personal pick for a bulletin of the sort, but if Seven were specifically after someone who’s well-known and has years of experience, he would be one of the few, local media personalities who would have been suited to present an Illawarra-based bulletin.

Maybe 15+ years ago it would have made some sense to offer him a role, but not in 2022 (and especially not in the current media landscape). I doubt he would have ever left WIN anyway, even if he had been offered a presenting role on a competitor’s bulletin.

1 Like

Certainly people know Daniel Gibson and like him, and he’s a good choice

Many other names have also been well known in Canberra in days gone by for WIN news and Ten Capital News

If we’re talking hypotheticals here I’d love to see Greg Robson presenting a Canberra news bulletin

I think the most realistic option would be producing it from Canberra with Madelaine Collignon as anchor, like North Coast, North West, Albury, Wagga Wagga and Orange.

I am not sure about the Victorian bulletins, do they:

1. Just relay 7NEWS Melbourne with updates as normal
  2. Treat Victorian markets just like the others and have it done from Canberra with Madelaine Collignon
  3. Done out of BCM with Blake Johnson in the Melbourne set
1 Like

Option 1 Does not happen in the Shepparton Market at the moment as we get the Prime7 Update from Cancberra with NSW News

Option 2 and 3 is the both best options however the space factor comes into it.

Deniliquin in NSW and areas close to the border are part of the Shepparton broadcast area

I know I live in the Shepparton Boardcast area as you deleted the most important part to know that I in that boardcast area.

The minute Seven repeats the 1990s Prime debacle of a Local Canberra bulletin, the viewers would flock to Nine (WIN) instead. I do not think Seven would be that stupid to kill off the ratings lead they enjoy between 6pm and 7pm but to continue to relay Seven Sydney 6pm News as now and possibly insert a 5 minute local Canberra news breakaway just before Sport and do a full local breakaway Canberra weather segment at the end up to 7pm and not take the Sydney weather segment at all. I would have the 5 minute news breakaway pre-recorded by the existing Sydney newsreader(s) so as to keep consistency across the hour.

3 Likes

What when viewers had tons of choice and could watch local news on Ten/Capital or WIN? Not a comparable scenario to today (and has been discussed over and over again on this forum)

The ABC does local news in Canberra at 7pm and it’s popular, and shows that viewers will tune in where they get a good quality bulletin (albeit at 7pm and not competing head to head with 7/9 news)

But you are right, people in Canberra like watching Seven News Sydney and any changes to that are probably a bad idea. I’m not advocating for any changes to the status quo in that regard.

2 Likes

Is best for the Sydney metro bulletin to do NSW state, national and international news properly with resources Canberra would never get. Plus, more immediate as the metro bulletin has the resources of live crosses which a regional composite bulletin would not or is rarely given access to, stilted ‘as-lives’ if they are lucky. A local Canberra window of 4 to 5 packages is all that is needed, possibly produced by 2 journos on the ground in Canberra. Craig Moore could do an expanded weather segment at the end of the metro bulletin instead of taking the Sydney weather segment. That to me would work and not kill off the existing ratings lead Seven enjoys in Canberra in that timeslot.

3 Likes

I’d like to see this too. They also focus heavily on promoting just the news anchor these days instead of the whole team, so making changes like substituting Angie for Craig would be easy in terms of promotion.

I think the fate of Prime’s other NSW local and national bulletins will determine what they’ll do with Canberra, if anything.

2 Likes

James specifically called out Newcastle as a market 7 NEWS is looking at because they are not #1 there.

From what people post here, 7 is #1 in Canberra (commercial news service. Which is what they care about)

That’s probably why he called out Newcastle only. Can’t see them rushing into Canberra is they see themselves as #1 there already

Also Newcastle is considerably bigger ad market at 830,000 pop to Canberra 550,000

1 Like

Physically not possible. Pre-recording the regional bulletins takes up more time than the current studio schedule for 4pm and 6pm news permits.

If it came from Melbourne, it would have to be on a separate set in a separate studio space, a la Nine News Regional/Local.

4 Likes

The discussion about Canberra in this context isn’t about the market, rather it’s about the studio location

I like what you did there.

7 Likes