Seven Regional

Just adopt the ITV model and name everything Ten North West Victoria for example, and have Tasmania branded as WIN.

1 Like

… also the news bulletin isn’t red enough”.

3 Likes

Don’t mock him. Mediaspy was mocking Bruce in the Mocks thread just a week before the solid blue map was introduced, therefore any further jokes about him and Prime is doomed.

4 Likes

We mustn’t self-censor or give in to fear, authoritarians, oligarchs or terrorists.

1 Like

Maybe he is hoping that an amalgamation of Prime and Seven may take place or maybe he will try and align Prime with Ten, in the hope he can pair WIN up with Seven

1 Like

From the Seven annual general meeting:

Seven are expecting a larger payment from Prime.

2 Likes

And/or SC7 (probably 7West Media demanding more money for the same content in HD)

I think Southern Cross will be sweating over their Tasmanian affiliation after the way they upstaged Seven by bending over to Nine.

Seven’s market-leading content is worth more than the other two.

1 Like

I don’t think there was any possibility of Southern Cross aligning with Seven on the mainland? I don’t think Seven was even in the running.

Unless something really horrendous happens between Seven and SCA, I can’t see Seven doing anything to drop Southern Cross in Tasmania to then have to align with WIN. That could be more problematic given WIN has shown to be a rather difficult customer, to Nine in the past and already with Ten now.

9 Likes

As I understand it, Nine led the charge. All the networks had affiliation agreements with different expiry dates, which effectively made it impossible to switch because no other network would be available at renewal time. So when WIN’s agreement came up with Nine, Nine were over WIN’s BS, so Nine only renewed it for 6 months knowing that SCA’s agreement with Ten was due to expire on the same date and they could orchestrate a switch.

Seven would be perfectly happy with Prime. Prime are the perfect affiliate really (or best of the pack anyway) - they put in “enough” effort (more than SCA) and don’t really cause any dramas (less than WIN).

6 Likes

Prime also fits well with Seven because of the regional QLD ownership. That would cause problems for WIN and SCA if either ever tried to affiliate with Seven.

1 Like

12 Likes

I think when you say “more than SCA” I think it should be differentiated between SCA and Tassie SCA which do put in a lot of effort. SCA with their Ten and Nine affiliations are lazy ones with very little done but SCA with their Seven affiliation is very impressive and apart from a couple of lines about the difficulties in getting HD from 7 or 7flix, I would think there’s a pretty good relationship between them both. Even if SC do change the branding, they do a high quality job of their own brand and people still know it’s 7 underneath.

I notice in the cap above too for GWN7 that it says “sunrise - Australia’s No. 1” we have the same promo here on Southern Cross but they’ve changed it to “Tasmania’s No. 1”. Have other states done that or do they use their capital city instead?

6 Likes

Interesting.
From memory, I’ve only ever seen “Australia’s No 1” air on 7QLD in North QLD.

1 Like

Why would WIN ditch Ten to align with Seven in only one market? Yes, Seven is higher-rating content, but they understandably tossed Nine aside in Tasmania and WA for consistency throughout their own network.

1 Like

I’m sure WIN would love to be affiliated with this country’s most watched TV network in all their markets.

But with Seven owning the Regional Queensland stations and Prime7/GWN7/Southern Cross being such strong affiliates in most areas, I can’t see changes happening anytime soon.

1 Like

No, it was to get a better deal out of Ten and it had the advantage of punting Nine’s content to the supplementary licence where Nine generates lower fees.

1 Like

Haven’t really been following, but why all the talk of more potential affiliate changes?

Seems simple to me…

No. 1 metro network (Seven) & No. 1 regional network (Prime7)? Also long-time partners.

Unless I’m unaware of something? Remember last year’s WIN / SCA swap was only further beneficial for Prime :wink:

1. Seven West Media’s recent statement suggesting possible affiliation (fee) changes;
  2. before that speculation SC7 only show up-scaled content on their HD channel is because of 7WM holding out for more money for a 7HD feed;
  3. and prior to that Seven’s displeasure at the SC9 affiliation deal terms (7 saying their affiliation agreement with SCA requires no other affiliation networks gets paid more than 7 do).

Hence the speculation (very remote possibility) of SCA relegating 7 to the secondary/joint-venture station and standardising on Nine as their primary affiliate in their remaining TV licence areas.

2 Likes

Okay, thank you for clarifying