Seven Regional

That I can’t really answer but I do know NRTV would have wanted compensation if they weren’t allowed to broadcast on the Gold Coast anymore. They were a big part of the community in the 1980’s with the annual broadcast of the Tropicarnival Parade and some content produced from their Ashmore studios. It was also an opportunity for local businesses to afford television advertising which would have been more expensive and probably not relevant on Brisbane based stations (ie- like a car yard which only has one Gold Coast lot). Local News was produced from Coffs Harbour but I understand their Lismore bureau would drive up to the Gold Coast if there were stories which were considered “important”. Their news sign off was “From Port (Macquarie) to Southport”.

If they stopped broadcasting, I imagine Seven, Nine and Ten would have been given the green light to sell Gold Coast advertising blocks on their UHF transmitters which they currently aren’t allowed to do. So Brisbane gets one set of ads, Gold Coast another.

3 Likes

NRTV would really not have ceased broadcasting to the Gold Coast. They would just not have been using the Mt Tamborine relay site. Theoretically viewers would still have been able to receive the NRTV signal on RTN 8 as had always been the case - they would have just needed to have two antennas again.

1 Like

While I’m well aware that the metro/regional broadcasting situation on the Gold Coast (and also the NSW Central Coast, minus the timezone/state border issues) happened because of decisions made pre-aggregation to provide viewers with better reception and an additional viewing choice, surely at some point in the future there will come a point when those metro/regional regions become TV licence areas in their own right?

More likely that areas would be amalgamated rather than divided IMO.

1 Like

Cobar is in an overlap area and some years ago Prime asked ACMA if they could cease broadcasting in Cobar as Seven network programs were also available via Southern Cross. I’ve never noticed an official response from ACMA, but Prime still has a transmitter licence in Cobar that is being renewed every year. Has anyone been through the area and can confirm that both Prime and SC are broadcasting there??

The commercial television site in Cobar:
https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl/site_search.site_lookup?pSITE_ID=35877

3 Likes

They both broadcast there. Prime broadcasts their Orange signal there on LCN6. SCTV broadcasts their South East Seven service on LCN7. Imparja (Nine) and Ten south east VAST services are also broadcast in Cobar.

If anyone in Cobar likes AFL, they would get a good selection of games each week with Prime following Seven Sydney’s games and SCTV following Seven Melbourne’s games with the odd Seven Brisbane or Sydney game thrown in.

6 Likes

Yeah, from what I see, Cobar gets:
ABC and SBS
and then
1 - One
6 - Prime7
7 - SCTV
9 - Imparja
10 - Ten
11 - Eleven
62 - 7Two
63 - 7mate
70 - 7mate
72 - 7Two
90 - 9Gem
99 - 9Go

4 Likes

A reminder that Prime7 will break from the network at 8.30 tomorrow night for a news special, Dark Secrets: Australia’s Hidden Shame, presented by Ray Martin.

Sunday Night will follow at 9.30.

Two promos for this program

3 Likes

Daniel Gibson introducing the program, as he did with the Ice one:

8 Likes

This program also means that Prime7 doesn’t rejoin Sevens schedule until 5:30am tomorrow with Sunrise.

(When checking this, I just realised that Prime7 doesn’t air Sevens 5am early news either, they are still with their overnight home shopping “marathon” which usually starts around midnight).

2 Likes

Isn’t PRIME7 showing The Blacklist and Training Day tonight?

The Blacklist is currently on, if you are looking at the EPG though at least here it is labeled at Mr Kaplan and Elegy Pt 2, the episode titles not the show titles.

1 Like

Can’t speak to the quality of the content, but massive props to Prime/GWN for producing and showing something of their own creation in prime time that’s not a regular news bulletin.

If only regulations or affiliation agreements or ownership situations actually encouraged more of this…

6 Likes

Look I really enjoyed this, sure it wasn’t metro quality but it doesn’t have to be. What about a regional show replacing Sunday Night? Oh wait… Nothing really happens in the bush :disappointed:

1 Like

Opener & Closer

1 Like

If something happens in the bush but nobody reports it, has something really happened in the bush?

did Cobar get WIN and Southern Cross (nee Capital) when aggregation began in Southern NSW?

Nope. Cobar only got Prime, although WIN and Southern Cross could have broadcast there if they wanted to as it was deemed to be part of the Southern NSW TV LAP.

1 Like

The Dark Secrets Ray Martin program will be encored today at 12pm.