Seven Regional

And very much missed.

Aside from those already mentioned, a few Prime News Central West presenters from between those two eras…

News: John Lloyd-Green, John Kerrison
Sport: Vanessa Fabris, Chris Kimball

Of course there might be some others I’ve missed.

After John Hyde left, I think Chris Bill North and Geoff Smith each had stints presenting Sport on the North West/Coast bulletins.

Elspeth Taylor (now Elle Rixon it seems) presented the local news in lieu of Fiona for a while around 2011-12, while Nicola Strohal/Plevey also did fill-in presenting on bulletins towards the end of the Tamworth studio production days.

Thanks for the information.

I wonder why Fiona was absent and Elspeth took up the news-reading job? Was it pregnancy or something?

I’m pretty sure that it was Bill North and not Chris North that presented sport.

I actually feel a bit sorry for John-Lloyd Green, as his life has literally gone down. Maybe his luck will improve and he’ll get a journalist offer in Sydney or something?

1 Like

Helen Browne (now Helen Clare) presented Prime’s Central West bulletin when Peter Andren left. The sports presenter at the time was Ross Larsen.

I think in mid-1999, Helen left - leading to John Lloyd-Green fronting the bulletin.

2 Likes

In terms of sports presenters for the Prime News Central West bulletin - after Chris Kimball left, there was Genya Cole (now Miller). Then when Genya left, there was Vanessa Arthur (now Graham)

1 Like

Yeah, Vanessa Fabris (who can be seen at the Sports Presentation area of the set in this batch of caps Zampakid uploaded recently) seemed to be the sports presenter before Chris Kimball, who joined the Prime News Central West team in August 2001.

Again I’ve got no idea how long Fabris was at Prime Central West for…although perhaps someone out there might know.

RIVERINA/WAGGA:
News: Tony Pritchard was the main reader for years (others filled in when leave or illness)
Sport: Doug Hogan (was there for years and was the main reader / Jason Costigan was another with a regular seat at the desk)

1 Like

I wonder what he’s doing now, since he lost his seat in the Queensland parliament.

Have we seen a GWN variant of this ident yet?

1 Like

I’ve tried 3 times to cap one at 7pm and 7.30pm, but it has never aired.

4 Likes

How GWN7 breaks away for The Chase:

13 Likes

Gosh. The newsreader could not say “viewers in regional WA leave us now for the chase, thanks for your company. For everyone else 7 news continues”

Considering prime and 7s close relationship?

5 Likes

It’s pretty choppy, though I don’t live in the GWN7 area myself. Hand-overs and general sign-offs from Seven Perth haven’t been refined since the move to Osborne Park in 2015 imo. Presentation is everything.

I feel like I recall they once did a similar handover at some point?

I’m surprised they didn’t opt out during the break rather then somewhat clumsily mid story

7 Likes

Well it wasn’t actually mid-story, they were just 1 second off. Not that big a deal really.

2 Likes

Seven Brisbane do a handover for Gold Coast viewers. Not sure why Perth can’t do the same. The difference could be O&O versus Affiliate but it shouldn’t matter.

Brisbane during the 4pm news say something like “That’s where we leave our Gold Coast viewers. Your local news is at 5.30. For everyone else we have more news”.

2 Likes

If it’s really that important, they can do a pre-recorded handover for GWN like what Ten does for WIN. But really, that animated graphic is fine as they actually go to an ad break before The Chase.

3 Likes

I’m pretty certain they used to do a pre-recorded closer for GWN viewers.

4 Likes

… in the early 80s WIN4 only used to take the first two hours of Hey, Hey It’s Saturday before switching to Sounds … 9 agreed to do a “goodbye to Wollongong” at the appointed hour, but in typical fashion it turned from a three second “goodbye” into a ten-minute comedy segment each week :rofl:

7 Likes

Do GWN opt out at a specific time, and the TVW bulletin is timed so they hit an appropriate opt point then (eg. the end of a story)? I imagine it’s now automated rather than someone waiting for a “cue” and hitting a button?