Pointless

Perfect timing with the jackpot of $8000 being won today.

I’m surprised they aren’t advertising clips from the show rather than generic promos. Things like this might be better? Highlight the humour from the hosts/contestants rather than the format itself.

3 Likes

If/when Pointless fails, Ten should consider airing the US version of Family Feud. Steve Harvey is hilarious as host.

3 Likes

Why? That’s not going to rate any better and we don’t need more American fodder on our TV.

3 Likes

Some people seem to be obsessed with turning Australian TV into American.

3 Likes

His reactions to stupid answers are so over the top and cringeworthy. No thank you.

1 Like

Mark got a plug in for Pointless in his appearance on Insiders this morning when he filled in for Mike Bowers.

Channel Ten must be letting him still be involved closely with the ABC. He also made an appearance on one of The World this week presenting his What in the World segment.

2 Likes

Why does everyone want to see Family Feud anymore? It’s a tired format which should go to the grave and never come back up again.

5 Likes

If Pointless fails why not a cooking show at 6pm? Ready Steady Cook for an hour?

They tried Celebrity Ready Steady Cook in that slot once. It didn’t go well.

3 Likes

Nothing will beat news services at 6pm. The alternative is working.

1 Like

How is it working? It’s only been a week and it’s already rating nearly as bad as FF.

It’s working by rating better than when say if The Simpsons were still on. Ten knows that Nine and Sevens news offerings are going to win. At least a game show type alternative gets the minority of people that don’t want the news at 6pm. Cant change people viewing habits. 6pm is news time and has been for decades! You will find its more of the older demos that tune in a 6pm still!

1 Like

Simpsons rated better than Pointless and it didn’t need a simulcast or any promotion.

On this day when Simpsons last had the 6pm slot https://tvtonight.com.au/2013/07/x-factor-turkey-slaps-big-brother.html

How many times do we have to tell you that the media landscape has changed since then. If Family Feud and Pointless were airing during that time they would’ve undoubtedly had higher ratings than now.

9 Likes

It’s not 2013 anymore and Nine News isn’t rating 1.4 million at 6pm nor ACA 1.2 million at 7pm. Don’t expect to be taken seriously when you make comparisons of The Simpsons which we have also seen has suffered a massive drop in popularity in the last few years that it isn’t even seen by any network to be fit for a main channel timeslot.

4 Likes

I’m quite enjoying Pointless but I think it’s more a Thursday 7.30pm or Saturday 7pm type show. It also doesn’t fit with Ten’s audience.

I think they do have the potential to do okay in the 6pm timeslot but need something innovative and clever - maybe a live cooking show - Masterclass dinner live, or an Australian version of Judge Judy . . .

They’ve tried other 6pm game shows in the past. Jeopardy, Battle of the Sexes, Taken Out etc which all failed and they went back to Simpsons. I don’t think the landscape has changed that much since 2013 to make the comparison invalid.Netflix, Youtube and multichannels were all around back then.

You do realise that The Simpsons is not an option anyway? Ten don’t own it.

5 Likes

Like it was said before, there wasn’t such a fragmentation in the viewing market. But by all means, keep beating the dead horse of the unfunny crap that is The Simpsons.

3 Likes