Paris 2024 Olympics

OP

can’t believe we didn’t have one already - although upon checking Bacco only opened the Tokyo thread in July of 2021

Discussion of the 2024 Paris Olympic Games - the event itsself not the media coverage. Begins July 26.

3 Likes

A thread that gained a bit of traction online, many essentially saying a lack of buzz in the lead-up to this year’s Olympics and they used to be better.

But I recall thinking and saying the same right here back in 2021 before Tokyo… Yet bang! Opening Ceremony exploded to nearly 2.7m metro broadcast on Seven and the rest was history. A memorable and record games in more ways than one, depsite the obvious COVID presence.

LINK:
https://x.com/cmizzy1/status/1799408845003116999?t=-q-7vJHMWGX2yAFXAMHRAQ&s=19

3 Likes

More going on in the world at the moment that is shadowing the Olympics (Israel-Gaza war and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, one of the most important US election campaigns).

Timezone will probably also impact interests of Australians - though I do assume that it will still rate it’s socks off.

There will probably be more of a build up closer to the games though.

3 Likes

I also think that with there being orders of magnitude more viewing choices around now than in the days where FTA TV was dominant, this has hurt the Olympics appeal with some casual viewers.

Back in 2004 and 2008 for example, it was on 2 of the 5 FTA channels (Seven and SBS), it was very difficult to avoid. Nowadays it’s on 2 of around 20 FTA multichannels (FTA TV being well beyond it’s peak too now), and there are so many more viewing options these days with streaming.

The Olympic brand also isn’t what it once was. There used to be a lot of prestige and excitement around having the privilege of hosting the games- these days getting public support for an Olympic bid is a lot harder politically especially if host city infrastructure is already struggling in other areas like health, transport or education.

3 Likes

Usually I am sick of hearing about the Olympics months before it starts. When there aren’t any real headlines, the media is beating up stupid controversies. I think the balance is right this time, I know it’s coming but not being shoved down my throat.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Swimming team announced

Paralympics team

4 Likes