SEN (Radio)

Is this man like super human or something?

3 Likes

Triple N?

ummm, but does Triple J do Cricket too :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Cricket Australia opting to switch from a radio network which has some presence in all capital cities and many regional areas to one that (the last I checked) currently only has a significant presence in Melbourne?

Yeah, I don’t see that happening…

7 Likes

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?

It’s Gerard Whately!!

1 Like

3AW/Macquarie will have its shareholding reduced to 3.9% post the merger, down from 11.2%, despite having the same number of shares.

1 Like

It appears that Mark Robinson has been axed by SEN after 13 years with the station.

I thought it’d be interesting if he was a regular on Gerard Whateley’s new show seeing as they have a good working relationship on AFL 360. But given Craig Hutchison’s not exactly the biggest fan of Robbo it kind of makes sense.

Mark Fine the latest presenter to be future endeavoured by SEN’s new management. No replacement announced as yet.

Herald-Sun has confirmed that Mark Fine (Evenings with Finey) has been sacked/contract not renewed.

Also confirmed that Sam McClure will host a one hour show, week days 6pm to 7pm.

Finey probably had one of the biggest followings of anyone on SEN. Will there be anyone original left at SEN once Hutchy is done?

Got to say, I’m not sure this scorched earth approach to radio programming is necessarily the right approach, especially given SEN’s appeal to a narrower demographic than most (sport-loving middle-age males). I reckon more than a few disgruntled listeners might just find the FM button and head on over to 105.1 before new ones tune in

1 Like

KB is the sole original left now I think.
Technically Lyon and Watson were two thirds of the original Morning Glory but have been elsewhere/not on radio in the meantime.
I’m with you, don’t think this is the way to go about business. Were Schwarz, Allen and Fine out of contract? Yes. But to remove substantial parts of the furniture without giving them a chance to farewell listeners isn’t what I’d do personally.

1 Like

Yep, an ugly way to do it, even if it is the standard for media. But I think they could have done a rebuild/refresh without throwing the baby out with the bathwater

More broadly speaking, while I think there is room for improvement if SEN is run a little more professionally, I don’t think it’s ever going to be a ratings topper for the limited demographic reasons I mentioned earlier. At best I think it can hold a modest portion of the market and be a leader in football commentary, but it’s a relatively niche format as is, and while it will serve its audience well, won’t in my opinion ever command large chunks of the wider audience. But there’s nothing wrong with that - I wish we had a few more stations willing to serve a 5% chunk of the market very well

3 Likes

I’m interested to see what Jay Mueller brings. I recall reading one of his priorities was the digital radio and digital media in general. Be interesting to see the future of Aussie, KOOOL and Classic Rock Radio and how all are integrated into the Crocmedia brand.

1 Like

Jack Heveran has been confirmed as Finey’s replacement on nights.

Also read that Kev Hillier (summer fill-in) has been let go.

From most of Hutchy’s hirings so far, the word ‘vanilla’ does come to mind.

1 Like

Jack Heverin already works at SEN as a fill in presenter alongside his Crocmedia work, was currently co hosting the Drive slot.
Interestingly, Heverin’s new show ‘The Sporting Capital’ only airs M-Th. I guess we’ll discover what is airing 9am-noon and 7pm-midnight on Fridays soon (obviously AFL during the AFL season).

Probably A-League coverage on Friday night now that they are taking the Crocmedia calls. I thought Whateley was recruited to do 9-12 as well as be chief caller.

Former Australian cricketer Rodney Hogg has tweeted he is leaving SEN. According to the Herald Sun, he did not like the changes at the station and decided to quit before a decision is made.

Whateley is only doing M-Th also. Interesting where It’s all headed (down the gurgler I suspect).

@Glennc Whateley also Commentating Friday Night and Saturday Afternoon during AFL Season and Race Calling during Spring Racing Carnival.