SEN (Radio)

If Sportsday moves from 3AW to SEN, they will need new hosts because the likes of Dwayne Russell, Gerard Healy, Shane McInnes etc. are signed to 3AW.

1 Like

The current 2017 version of Sportsday on 3AW is essentially a merger of 3AW’s Sports Today and Crocmedia’s Sportsday.

Dwayne Russell, Gerard Healy and Shane McInnes would definitely stay with 3AW and I reckon (if PSN/Crocmedia merger goes ahead) Crocmedia would just continue producing the show for 3AW and regionals. The regional stations probably prefer the 3AW-aligned program anyway.

Classic Rock Radio is the best radio station in Melbourne. Wish they didn’t put the Addiction program on though, or Fishing Show or Big breakfast. They do however need to find some other place for it as it’s a useful info program. I love having only music on CRR AND they have much better music selection that MMM Classic rock. The MMM’s are ruining their digital stations with too many ads.

3 Likes

Smooth FM Brisbane has the ads about right. One minute on the hour, and sometimes on the half hour, meaning there is less inclination to change the station.

1 Like

Craig Hutchison has appointed his former Channel Nine colleague Tim Cleary as Chief Content Officer of Crocmedia. Cleary recently left Channel Nine after 13 years with the network where he was the head of programming and production.
Meanwhile, Kevin Bartlett will move from his popular morning timeslot on SEN to 3pm-6pm slot where he will be joined by Dr Turf. The show will be known as KB and The Doc.

Two points I noticed in the Pacific Star AGM presentation last month.

30% of visits to SEN’s website, app and streams are from outside Melbourne and they are using that stat to sell advertising, and it appears the future of the formats of the other stations are not guaranteed despite many on Mediaspy loving them.

Hopefully they get 1377 back into the ratings book, firstly. Would also like to see streaming for KOOOL and Aussie, or whatever replaces them

1 Like

Gerard Whateley is joining SEN.

2 Likes

Wow, huge news. I thought KB with Dr Turf had great potential and was a smart move but this is even greater.

Gerard Whateley probably the best radio commentator of the last 10 years for so many different sports and a huge pickup for SEN.

1 Like

Did not see this coming. Huge news.

2 Likes

That is a big shock. Perhaps SEN will have both Whateley and Anthony Hudson calling the AFL together. But what will Whateley do during the summer given SEN does not have cricket or horse racing rights?

One has to question if Anthony Hudson will remain given his Fox Footy commitments and the fact that he may not want to be seen as second fiddle (although his nature probably won’t mean he’d overly care).

I wouldn’t be surprised if whichever TV network picks up the cricket rights (apart from 9 perhaps) wants him on board to do commentary there.

2 Likes

May also equip SEN to take on the BBL radio rights with Whateley on board. I assume Macquarie have exclusive rights at the moment though.

Begs another question as to whether Crocmedia are interested in cricket coverage since they have taken on AFL and A-League rights as a syndicated content creator. But who knows how that’ll work when the Crocmedia/PNW merger takes place. So many questions…

SEN does horse racing. Their caller, Bryan Martin, just retired.

2 Likes

Well the only way SEN would probably get cricket rights is if Crocmedia decides to adopt the AFL/Football Nation model of focusing on airing coverage on regional stations (eg: the ACE Radio Network) with SEN being the ‘main’ network

2 Likes

FXRS Also on sell the rights to relay stations, or they did back in 2016.

I believe they are.

yes, they still do - for both tests and Big Bash

3 Likes

So SEN’s “chief caller” now eh?

Wonder how Anthony Hudson feels about that. He’s been hosting Friday night footy for over a decade.

Expect more shake-ups me thinks.

If Ten get rights to test cricket & BBL again (fingers crossed), Tim Lane and Gerard Whateley would be a great combo.

Their exec Dave Barham is good friends with them too, dating back to when Ten acquired the AFL.

–

Another thought, is this more of Craig Hutchison flexing his power?

From Radio Today article (http://www.radiotoday.com.au/gerard-whateley-joins-1116-sen/):

While a merger between Crocmedia and SEN owner Southern Pacific Network (sic) has yet to be ‘officially’ confirmed, Whateley’s defection from the ABC makes it clear it’s now just a formality.

3 Likes