SEN (Radio)

What a Croc!

Broadcasting A-League on SEN+ means it wonā€™t clash with SENā€™s cricket and AFL coverage.

1 Like

Good news, hopefully the station will be alphabetically next to SEN on my DAB+ radios. Will be easy to flick between 1116SEN and 1377SEN+.
Also Iā€™ve noticed that currently the Classic Rock Radio DAB+ stream sounds higher quality than SEN so I wonder if that will stay the same when it becomes SEN+. Both are 56kbps on DAB+ but I suspect there is a higher quality STL for CRR.

I am Spitting Chips that Classic Rock Radio is getting the Axe, I donā€™t really care for more Sports Stations. All I want is Classic Rock with Minimal Ads and Some good talk shows on weekend mornings. The only station I listen to in the car is Classic Rock Radio. Not Happy Jan. ā€œSEN+ā€ Can go bugger off. For now all Iā€™m gonna do is Binge listen to Classic Rock. One thing I like about the frequency I must add is that you can hear it all the way in Bendigo too! the range is excellent.

5 Likes

DAB audio is distributed by IP, and the quality of the link can not alter the audio quality. It either works or it doesnā€™t.
The likely cause would be the processing. Either using different processors, or just running different settings to suit the inherent differences between talk and music.

1 Like

Wonder what the processing on the SEN stream is like. I presume that 1377ā€™s hasnā€™t changed since it was 3MP, and half expect it wonā€™t change next week

SEN is AAC-LC while CRR is HE-AAC v1 - which means it has SBR added, which reconstructs/simulates frequencies that would be cut off on the AAC-LC SEN.

AAC-LC usually avoids harsh S sounds, which generally makes it sound better for speech, but at low bit rates that gain is outweighed by the overall lack of fidelity.

3 Likes

This makes more sense.

The reason I thought it could have been the STL was I thought the compression on SEN sounded more like MPEG Layer-2 encoding which could have been used somewhere in the STL chain. And AAC-LC does sound similar to MPEG Layer 2 audio to my ears.

1 Like

With SEN+ on the way, could this be PSNā€™s strategy to flood the market with an overload of choice for sports radio & as a result (hopefully) drive MSR out of market?

Regardless, I suppose it should stop MSR from positioning themselves as ā€œa new player in townā€.

Sydney has Fun Classic Hits, Why canā€™t Classic Rock Radio as KOOOL Merge into a Pure Classic Hits Station for Melbourne?

Iā€™d prefer the ā€œweirdā€ UK system needing Ofcom approval as it means a better outcome for listeners in terms of format variety. The Canadian regulator used to do the same. Listeners in both countries enjoy a better variety of formats.

2 Likes

Youā€™ll have to go DAB and listen to MMM CRD I guess. Itā€™s actually pretty good in terms of the music, but the number of ads has crept up.

1 Like

Iā€™d argue that itā€™s totally ineffective: I donā€™t think any format change has been denied? Certainly not recently, anyway

Classic Rock Radio and KOOOL need to Merge into a New Classic Hits Station for Melbourne.

1 Like

If anything Kool should get an AM stationā€¦

Looks like SEN+ will start from Midnight on Monday. Might have to record this changeoverā€¦

Iā€™m currently in the process of recording some Classic Rock Radio Promos and Idents and iā€™ll compile them for Archival purposes.

2 Likes

I have finally compiled some Promos and Idents from CRR, Enjoy :grinning:

It seems SEN+ is already ready to takeover at 12AM. They even have a listen live on the website for it now and everythingā€¦ (which ironically is the same stream as CRR)