SEN (Radio)

Normally 60-90 seconds of ads at top of the hour on Aussie, including internal sales promotions. So perhaps not too well.

1 Like

And much the same with Koool. Although one of the ads is usually begging for sponsors to advertise on Koool.

Iā€™m expecting SEN+ to continue playing music most of the time, with breakaway programming for sport coverage when necessary. More or less the same as how they currently operate, just with a name that lends itself to the sports side of it and makes it less jarring to listeners when sports move between the stations.

Music & sport. Thatā€™s what MSR should do.

3 Likes

Why does Classic Rock Radio relay SEN VFL matches on Sunday afternoons?

Does Pacific Star Network have the OK from both the AMCA and the AFL to do this?

Turns out I heard incorrectly, It is VFL and it is also streamed on their website. I donā€™t know if they would still have the rights to play VFL on Classic Rock Radio, SEN has it though. I think the show is being called ā€œPeter Jackson Liveā€?

Thereā€™s actually no radio rights around covering the VFL (or VFLW or TAC Cup).

ā€œPeter Jackson Liveā€ (which was VFL Live) is a Peter Macarto production and has been relaying the call via Pacific Starā€™s ā€˜Aussieā€™ for years.

So it appears now that Hutchy has asked Peter Macarto to air the call on 1377 AM now.

*For the record, I produce and call the VFLW coverage, which airs on RSN Carnival.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t expect so. I think theyā€™d be hoping that SEN+ listeners will tick the ā€œSENā€ box in the ratings book - by marketing both stations as being the same thing theyā€™ll be hoping that listeners and advertisers consider them to be the same.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

So rock music in AM Mono and VFL Football on SEN+ compared to rock music in FM Stereo and AFL Football on Triple Mā€¦just reads poor manā€™s (or should that be Willy and the Poor Boyā€™s?) alternative to Triple M - really just a 1970s version of Triple Mā€¦and yes I know it is not the same rock, but I suspect that is what the perception will beā€¦

1 Like

Youā€™re not wrong, but I donā€™t think their intention is to have 1377 as a station that rates particularly well. Itā€™s clearly making them next to no money at the money at the moment, and where they see value is by it just being a supplementary service to SEN. Their biggest problem at the moment is that theyā€™re buying up all these sporting rights but can only air one at a time on SEN - meaning that their are clashes. It doesnā€™t matter how popular the sport is - theyā€™ve paid an amount thatā€™s presumably inline with the popularity of the sport, and having somewhere to air it lets them sell airtime. It actually doesnā€™t matter if people are listening or not, provided they can sell it to advertisers. Rock music in between is just filler - if people listen thatā€™s great, if not, who cares?

3 Likes

Absolutely there are clashes - with each sport often deliberately scheduling a clash against rival codes. So hypothetically, if you own SEN and SEN+ and have the rights to AFL, VFL, NRL and A-League, which will be on SEN+? You have four sports with only two stations (unless we are going to KOOOL A-League!). My logic for programming would be: AFL on SEN and A-League on SEN+, as I think there are more (euro) football followers in Melbourne than NRL followers, even though you may have paid more nationally for NRL (because of its value in NSW and QLD).

Selling it to advertisers, thatā€™s an interesting ask. If it is on the back of networked distribution by Crocmedia (eg for NRL) then it works. If it is purely for a Melbourne market for SEN+, then probably it is attracting narrowcasting advertisers rather than broadcasting advertisersā€¦and that narrowcast advertising market is being shared with presumably relatively cheap rates on 9GEM who also have the NRL.

Iā€™m surprised Hutchy hasnā€™t sold the stationsā€™ call signs for a buck. Canā€™t stand listening to AFL Nation with all the sponsors thrown into the call.

Itā€™s a shame because Anthony Hudson is far and away the best caller around.
Used to love the Coaches Box pre game on a Friday and Crunch Time Saturday. One disappeared and the other is full of troll Cornes dribbling outlandish shit. About the only time they get me is post game Friday night where RoCo is developing his inner Friday night Finey rather well.

Heā€™s still calling? Whatā€™s a shame exactly?

I disagree, the addition of Gerard Whateley to Crunch Time is great. Cornes is polarising but thatā€™s the point and why Hutchy likes him so much.

1 Like

From what Iā€™ve read in one of the industry Facebook groups (albeit since deleted), the talk is that the music will go and the change is happening this week - Iā€™d presume this weekend, if not Monday?

Agree to disagree. Whateley is a pious, overrated caller. If you seriously think Kane even believes half the shit he says you are naive, went from must listen to why bother.
It is a shame Hudson is at the 4th highest (of 4) calling team because heā€™s a sensational caller. Donegan is also a great caller and Wallace is insightful. Otherwise, way too many ads or sponsors, not enough description. The rest of the AFL Nation team is neither here nor there personally, very average callers in almost random spots, feels like it is drawn out of a hat some weeks.

Guessing you mean ACMA. No need for that. Stations donā€™t have to get permission for changes of format. Itā€™s not like that weird situation in the UK with needing Ofcom approval.

1 Like