SEN (Radio)

It depends who both MSR & SEN sign to Broadcast cricket with each Radio Station this will ensure MSR or SEN both won’t fold and both MSR & SEN wiill thrive there is room for both MSR & SEN in Melbourne is there not…

Since Red Symons is already is part of MacQuarie Radioo Netwirk he will join MacQuarie Spoorts Radio as a fill in for Brudgiette Duclos on Weekend Mornings alongside Bill Woods he will bring listeners frriom ABC Radio Melbourne Ti MacQtarie Sports Radio 1278

Red won’t be part of MSR.

1 Like

Wait & see what happens

Made some phone calls have you? Had a coffee with Red’s management? Told everyone what to do?

I’m on the edge of my seat with the anticipation.

What did you make of MSR’s ratings this week?

1 Like

Not a hope

2 Likes

so far I would say… not

3 Likes

SEN is hiring

https://www.radioinfo.com.au/jobs/journalists-1116-sen-melbourne

1 Like

Just saw this listing. Rebuilding the news room for the second time in two or three years?

1 Like

I would wonder if they could do a deal with ARN to share news resources - Gold’s news would be good enough for SEN, though they’d probably need their own newsreader to pad out the sports section.

Would make more sense than to use the Macquarie news, and be better than what they could do cheaply internally.

1 Like

Anything would be better than Macquarie News, especially the generic version that comes from Sydney occasionally on SEN and always on CRR.

It goes to show the complete lack of interest that Craig and Jay have towards CRR.

To not wipe that god awful pre fed bulletin from Sydney is a mistake.

2UE used to produce a well structured bulletin for such stations. Now, it’s nothing more than afterthought for Erin and her GB newsroom.

They just need to cut ties with Macquarie permanently. Just as long as they keep playing my music I don’t really care about Craig or Jay’s lack of interest in CRR. :grin: Just get rid of Frank Walker!

Jay Mueller has quit as executive producer of Whateley show on SEN after only five months in the job, and is joining McGuire Media.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/craig-hutchison-battle-for-dominance-take-a-hit-as-eddie-mcguire-poaches-a-big-gun/news-story/534914c7468ea19e366186effad5895f

That was always going to happen, he was brought on board under previous management to be the Program Director of SEN and after the merger was moved into Whateley’s show, not quite what he signed up for.

2 Likes

FIRST ON MEDIA SPY: Classic Rock Radio to rebrand as SEN+

2 Likes

It is too much of a good thing to be honest! Melbourne now has THREE sports radio stations: SEN, Macquarie Sports and now SEN+. Pacific Star would have been better off resurrecting 3MP to attract disenchanted Magic listeners now there is no true “Classic Hits” station in Melbourne anymore. Smooth is more AC than easy listening, and Gold 104.3 concentrates on the 80s 90s and 00s these days.

8 Likes

Four if you include RSN. And despite Melbourne’s reputation as being a sports-loving city it’s not a huge market in terms of ratings. SEN floats around what 4 or 5 per cent? Macquarie is in zero territory. RSN isn’t even measured.

Surely it is better for Pacific Star not to put all their eggs (stations) in one basket (sport) and run some alternative format on 1377. Although I do suspect that the horse has bolted in terms of trying to win back disgruntled Magic or 3MP listeners.

5 Likes

What will be interesting to see is whether SEN+ appears in the ratings books, and what its schedule turns out to be.

As I’ve said previously, I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if the House of Hutch runs it as a simulcast of 1116 AM, with breakaways for lifestyle programming (ie: the Stockman shows) and sports coverage (AFL overlaps, VFL, racing/cricket). The latter is looking rather realistic at the moment with their stake in Melbourne United and the subsequent NBL coverage that comes along with it.

The downside is that while Classic Rock Radio has been a companion format for SEN - as Magic was for 3AW - there is no guarantee that the audience (however small it may be) will float back to SEN. A total free kick to SCA there.

Has anyone taken a listen to Aussie and KOOOL? I’m curious to see if PSN have managed to monetise those streams - would surely pick up some extra traction if they streamed online/on RadioApp too

2 Likes

Classic Rock Radio was rather odd for how they handled the SEN overflow - it would just suddenly appear, and then they’ll go to an ad break and it will have vanished and they’ll be playing music again and the coverage flipped back over to SEN.

Hopefully SEN+ is just them handling this stuff better - treating it as an SEN station and if there’s overlaps, letting the coverage play out on the station it started on, but running music programming in the down time.

If they try and fill it with sub-par talk programming or repeats, then that’s not good, but if it’s just music and live sport coverage as it is now, but called SEN+, then that’d be okay.

4 Likes