SEN (Radio)

And what happens if the morning shift stays somewhere similar? I’m guessing Whateley and Mueller are being paid substantially more than Bartlett and Pignataro were in that timeslot, and doing a day less a week. Or is it not about ratings on the morning program and more about flinging stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks?

1 Like

@crankymedia Thanks for that off course it’s CRR.:grinning:Blame it on my old age.

1 Like

Classic Rock Radio appear to have removed those recent posts from their Facebook page. False alarm?

1 Like

What posts? What did they say?

First one was a watch this space, second one was announcing the return of breakfast and drive shifts.

Why do people think Red Symons would ever be right for commercial radio? He played the bored, sarcastic curmudgeon as his schtick on ABC. They didn’t care. The rusted on ABC listeners were reminded of Peter Evans who did the same thing. Not an act that would work in any commercial format.

2 Likes

Personally, I’m not sure he would be, but if there was an opening, Classic Rock would be it given his music background. Also have vague memories of him being on EON years ago.

strong text RED SYMONS IS PART OF GERARD WHATELEY’S PROGRAM ON SEN THE MOST LODGICAL STEP IS FOR HIM IS TO BE SIGNED BY SEN I SENT AN EMAIL TO SEN RECEPTION ADVISING HUTCHY THAT HE SIGN RED SYMONS TO SEN TOMORROW AT 3PM TO JOIN GARRY & TIM ON BREAKFAST CO-HOSTING WITH TYHEM FROM NEXT MONDAY AT 6AM RED SYMONS WOUKLD BE GOOD ON COMERIIAL RADIO JUST LIKE DOUG AITON AND TERRY LAIDLER WERE WHEN THEY WERE ON 3AK (PRE SEN)

Thanks for the heads up, just listened to the segment on the website. Sounds like it’ll be at least semi regular. Not sure what the “old” SEN listeners will make of Red though.

Now about that shift key…

3 Likes

My prediction for 1377 is to see the 3MP name and classic hits/easy listening format revived because since Magic changed to Talking Lifestyle there is no Melbourne radio station with this format, Smooth is more “adult contemporary” than easy listening. A format similar to Sydney’s 2CH. I’m sure Crocmedia would pull out all stops to have a big advertising campaign mentioning “The music you’ve loved is back! 1377 3MP - Melbourne’s Classic Easy Favourites”. They will no doubt try to sign up former Magic presenters. They will keep the non-music programmes previously on Classic Rock Radio such as Stockman’s Breakfast, the fishing and money shows etc. I personally don’t see the point of Classic Rock Radio continuing as originally it was to fill a gap when Triple M Classic Rock closed, now Triple M has brought it back there isn’t a need for it anymore (although I find Classic Rock Radio much better than the Triple M namesake because of fewer commercials, wider playlist). I’m sure if Crocmedia play their cards right 3MP would be on a winner!

Relax, CRR is here to stay. :+1:

1 Like

Why? Who says?

Hopefully not in the long term.

1377 carrying JLT on Saturday. I remember a few times previously there being overlap too.

No announcers on CRR this morning as proposed last week on the FB page and also on the station. So who knows what is happening.

As mentioned above those teaser posts were removed.

SEN covering the Tests from South Africa.
Geraldo hosting.
Other commentators include Simon Katich, Brendon Julian and Jack Heverin.
I guess this means 1377 becomes a virtual SEN also, as SEN already had AFLW, JLT Community Series and A League locked in.

1 Like

Very interesting - two Australian radio stations covering an overseas cricket test series. If the SEN experiment is successful, a bid to broadcast next year’s Ashes series from England could be on the cards.
According to SEN website, Gerard Whateley will commentate the first two tests before flying back to Melbourne in time for the start of AFL regular season in late March. Jack Heverin will call the final two tests. All four tests will be simulcast on the SEN app.

So that’s it for Katich on ABC Grandstand?

Do you think 2SM or Talking lifestyle will broadcast in Sydney? Hopefully I can listen online without a VPN.