SEN (Radio)

Sportsday SA Facebook page.

https://www.realcommercial.com.au/property-offices-sa-adelaide-502222642

1 Like

According to their Facebook page there are changes coming at Classic Rock Radio. Hope it’s not a return to 3MP. Love the classic rock with no announcers and few ads.

There is so much that could be done with the licence that isn’t being done with it now.

It was a great reactionary tactic when MMM removed their classic rock, but a moot point now.

The station consists of music, ads, promos and the ever irrelevant 3 min pre recorded national bulletin from 2GB during bfast and drive.

There’s nothing radio about it, no life, no comps, nothing local.

There’s advertorials on weekend mornings that some community stations could do a better job of.

Jay Mueller is right to be in there making changes. Either improve the station from the lean offering it now is or scrap it and try different formats.

1 Like

The Bay City’s 3MP. Smooth Classics.

Feature some personality talk between the songs to fit with the theme. Let it grow slowly.

1 Like

Let’s not forget CRR was only created due to the demise of Triple M Classic Rock Digital.

Now they’re back, maybe so too is its audience. Plus maybe Jay is having a soft spot for his previous employer?

There is definitely a gap in the Melbourne market now without Magic.

2 Likes

Option 1: There would still be enough brand heritage and presence, to relaunch Easy Music 3MP provided there is some promotion. I suspect most people don’t even know of Classic Rock Radio.

Option 2: Classic Rock Radio morphs into SEN Radio 2 and has a mix of classic rock (with brekky announcer) and overflow sports programming from SEN. I’m expecting NRL and A-League here (as I understand, Crocmedia is involved in Football Nation Radio, which could provide a few hours of programming).

Regardless, it would also be helpful to participate in the ratings surveys.

2 Likes

I think you’re right in predicting SEN2 with classic rock part of the mix.

Especially if SEN are to broadcast NRL this season.

I know, I wrote:

And…

Wouldn’t be the first time. This is the pitfalls and perils of radio, the fluid nature of employment, formats, management, ownership, station direction means there will always be conflicts of interest that can only be managed rather than avoided.

True, but you’d need to program around Smooth and the fact that many who listened to MP for soft music can do so in FM stereo with a great signal all over the licence boundaries and beyond let alone under the tram lines. It’d be much older than the MP many knew. Also, we know of it on MS, I wonder if recognition among a target audience is still there?

Without a doubt you would have to program around Smooth. I think that means that an “all new” 3MP would sound closer to Magic. As for the recognition, I still think the 3MP brand recognition is higher than CRR (probably then followed by MTR!), but with the Magic format gone, whilst those listeners might be tuning in to Smooth, its probably not their preferred choice and hence there is an opportunity.

In the real world, I think SEN radio 2 is what will happen because of the amount of sports content Crocmedia is buying up and the ease of spreading the SEN brand over two frequencies. I suspect it won’t do much for their ratings though - hard to see NRL on SEN2 grabbing much of a market share in Melbourne. The only time I here discussion about NRL is state of origin. The rest of the time very limited cut thorugh…

As for the tram lines - I put that in the insolvable bucket - even 774 with 10 times the transmitter power still has buzzing.

I like the sound of SEN2. Similar to ESPN2 in sound.
Promos could be “1377 SEN2 and 1116 SEN. Melbourne’s home of sport”.

I’d hope for a mix of music similar to Aussie and KOOOL. A bit more safer than the current CRR music format that might appeal to sports fans.

My Classic Rock Radio is safe. The change is announcers are back. John Tamb for breakfast and Eddie Olek in the afternoon and drive. I may be older but I don’t want “easy listening” or “Magic” type music on my station. By the way if they had gone back to 3MP I was hoping they’d put classic rock on Digital instead of KOOOL which is unlistenable imo.

Hopefully SEN2 (or something similar) is still in the pipeline though. Hutchy and Jay wouldn’t allow it to remain idle for too long.

@tonks8526 Why? It’s the best station in Melbourne. How many posters on here commenting about CCR have even listened to the station? If we need SEN 2 they can make it a digital station. KOOOL is available. Most people surely have at least 1 DAB radio by now. (I have ten). :sunny: Sports fans need one to listen to ABC Grandstand. I am very sentimental about CCR, it helped me get through cancer treatment last year. I would be very sad to see it go. I don’t even compare it with MMM Classic Rock. I don’t want to hear whole albums or listen to Alice Cooper or 25 ads in a row! Rock on CCR. :smile:

I doubt it

4 Likes

An overflow SEN would also dilute the main station. I suggest they focus on strengthening the first station to begin with.

Btw, @jag3146 an acronym for Classic Rock Radio would be CRR not CCR.

2 Likes

Unless they play a lot of CCR.

Looking at their facebook page, 1377 has carried overflow for SEN in the past. I spotted some racing about a year ago. Aussie usually has overflow of VFL and occasional soccer.

1 Like

strong textHENCE THE REASON HUTCHY SIGNED GERARD WHATELEY TO MAKE SEN STRONGER IN TEBRATNGS HE SAW A CHNACE TO SNAP UP GERARD AFTER THE ABC COULD NOT WAIT TO SEE HIM GO AFTER NOT GIVUNG HIM ANOTHER CITRACT THERE ARE MANY LISTENERS TO ABC RADIO MELBOURNE WHO AT THE MOEMNT ARE QUITE ANGRY THAT THEY GOT RUD OF IOF RED SYMONS FROM TE BREAKFAST PROGRAM AND REPLACED HIM WITH TWIO RADIO ROOKIES IN CONTRAST HUTCHY WILL CAPITALIZE ON THIS BIG TIME AND ADD THOSE LISTENERS TI SEN

I don’t think there’s a big overlap between Red Symons listeners and the SEN breakfast show. That said, it will be interesting to see if Whateley can pull share away from Jon Faine and Neil Mitchell in mornings - could possibly become SEN’s strongest shift.

1 Like

Please stop shouting everything, take a moment to check for typos and lose the strong text tag.

Anyhow, if PSN were serious, they’d have thrown everything they had at Symons for 1377. PSN still need SEN to work, before transforming 1377. The new slots are exactly the same when they went announcer free at the end of 3MP. Same times, same voices.

1 Like

Amazing how PSN can deal with SEN and 3MP but someone as large as Macquarie struggle to manage News Talk and TL formats.

1 Like