SEN (Radio)

Clinton Grybas is forgotten?

We should rename the thread for fun - Talking Asterisk.

This is most interesting, thanks, I was wondering. Its shareholding in PNW a legacy of the canny thinking of Tony Bell, his board and Graham Mott. Always irritated them they couldn’t own 4 AM stations in Melb, by keeping under the control limit of 15% but above 10%, they had the final say should there be any full takeover, much the same that Solly Lew held onto a 10%+ stake of Country Road for the right price from its majority shareholder, Woolies SA.

This is Hutchy’s personality & life.

To let Cathy Thomas go is one of their larger blunders. Along with Jay Mueller, she brings the experience required from stations that know management and resourcing. Like Graham Mott before her, the role was muted by the board and their insistence at meddling in the day to day management of the station.

Hutchy should likewise keep out and the only hiring and firing changes him and the board make is that of those who should be doing that day to day.

They’re not doing that, they’re fiddling away and the result most likely won’t be pretty.

And why wasn’t he tasked to read bulletins for Classic Rock. Running the pre recorded national news bulletin in AM/PM drive is a waste when it could be done locally.

Where do they go between Oct - Mar?

This is interesting. A big problem that a lot of new talk content shows have - you can plan your first week to the nth degree, it’ll sound great, but has your audience found you by that first week and what do you have to keep backing it up week after week?

Quite often, you can put in a lot more effort in organising that first week, but it’s really weeks 4 - 13 that you really need to consider to retain and keep attracting audience. The first three months.

2 Likes

Big scoop for Whateley to get Roger Federer on the first morning. Can’t imagine he gives too many phone interviews.

3 Likes

strong textDoes anyone know why Brett Anderson finished today at SEN?

Maybe he looked at Hutchy’s lunch in the fridge and got the arse?

Listened to a bit of Whately this morning speaking with Trevor Hohns. Good interview and was keen forore. An ad break started just as I passed their studios, tuned out when it was still going as I got to Kew Junction - over 5 mins and still going, including one repeated as. Back to Faine for the rest of the drive.

Like most Melbourne footy fans I suspect they go into some deep hibernation until the next AFL season starts :grin:

In reality, they probably just hit the FM button, or maybe during the tests flick over to ABC. No point listening to talk radio if they’re not talking the sport you’re passionate about

2 Likes

Herald Sun reports Craig Hutchison has already made one change to the morning timeslot on SEN, recruiting former Port Adelaide star Kane Cornes to host on Fridays from Adelaide. It means Gerard Whateley will host on Mondays to Thursdays from 9am to midday and take Friday mornings off so he can call the AFL at night. Kane Cornes previously worked part time on 3AW and appeared occasionally on Sportsday (which is produced by Hutchison’s Crocmedia).

1 Like

When Whateley was signed his morning show was only ever M-Th. Nice of the HSun to catch up!
Cornes hosts Sportsday SA with Malcolm Blight, Ben Hart was Cornes’ co host last year.

1 Like

Radio Today has confirmed that Tony Schibeci has been shown the door after 14 years at SEN.

That article says “Mike Fine” instead of “Mark Fine”. lol.

But back to Tony, he was also an essential part of their motor sport coverage so sad to see him go.

1 Like

Another loss to the SEN team. Tony Schibeci’s ‘World Sport Overnight’ program back in the mid-2000s was part of what got me first listening to the station, very sad to see him gone

Meanwhile, Kane Cornes will certainly jar against Whateley on the other mornings during the week. It’ll be like going from reading Shakespeare to reading Twilight. But maybe they want a hateable South Australian on the air to fire up the Victorian listeners of a Friday?

This cleanout at SEN is ridiculous. Nearly everyone who has worked at the station for the past 14 years have been shown the door, apart from Kevin Bartlett.

3 Likes

I like Kane Corns and Gerard Whateley they are both great

1 Like

So there won’t be any live overnight?

It will be the Crocmedia produced program that they’ve had for a while, it’s simulcast (surprisingly) on Radio TAB in Qld/Tas/Central Australia when their racing coverage ends until 5AM EST.

1 Like

Why surprisingly?

Would have thought they would have taken RSN’s overnight programming given they are the sister station.

1 Like

strong tstrong text**How can RSN and SEN be Sister Statiion when sen is owned by pacific star network limited and rns is owned by the racing industry?

I think they mean that Radio TAB is sister stations to RSN

1 Like

strong text Thankyou TelevisionAU

Gerard Whateley currently calling the Superbowl over the phone. Technical issues to start the game. Sounds like a fault of the NFL media centre from what Gerard was saying.

1 Like