On This Day

The first episode of Family Feud premiered on July 14, 2014 at 6pm on TEN. Grant Denyer was the host of the show. Family Feud on TEN was different to Bert’s Family Feud on Nine (Feb 2006- June 2007) in terms of layout, graphics, and number of games.
This show was simulcasted on ONE and Eleven to boost ratings. Ratings started off very well with 690 000 metro viewers.
1 Like

14 July was also the launch date for Sale Of The Century in 1980, a remake of the former Channel 7 Temptation quiz show with the same host, Tony Barber. Was a huge ratings hit for Nine in the 1980s, hitting low-50 shares at one point.

YouTube: Classic Australian TV

4 Likes

Coincidently July 14 is the date in 1980 that Daryl Somers first appeared in the Family Feud hosting role, taking over from Tony Barber who had moved on to Sale Of The Century. Daryl took on the new role nine years and two days after starting his first regular gig on television as host of Cartoon Corner on GTV 9. He was “discovered” as a contestant on Nine’s New Faces.

Sale Of The Century was considered to be a huge programming gamble for Nine. The Sullivans had been a success for them at 7pm, particularly in Melbourne where it was set and produced. Kerry Packer approved the decision to strip The Sullivans at 7pm in 1978 because A Current Affair was a ratings disaster for them in the slot. It was felt the war time drama was too slow over an hour and would work better over a shorter duration, particularly in Sydney where it was struggling. The move was met with resistance by GTV 9 programmer Jim McKay because it was so successful in Melbourne as a one hour show. When McKay was later appointed Nine network programming chief he decided to return the show to two one hour episodes a week making way for Sale Of the Century.

Replacing The Sullivans with a quiz show paid off. Sale Of The Century was an immediate success comfortably beating nearest rival Willesee At Seven every night of the week.

2 Likes

Apparently Grundys originally proposed Sale Of The Century to Channel 7, given that 7 had aired the same format as Temptation years earlier. Seven knocked it back and it got picked up by Nine. I can’t imagine that it would have had the same success had Seven picked it up instead of Nine. Nine always seemed to have the ability and resources to throw enough money and promotion into something to make it work, whereas Seven was never quite as lavish. Possibly a result of Seven (like the 0-10s at the time) then having different owners in Sydney and Melbourne, whereas the Nines were both under Packer rule.

2 Likes

I know this is a day late but i thought i’d include it.

July 13, 1956 - TCN-9 Sydney begins their test transmissions.

I always wondered why Grundys didn’t use the name Temptation with this reboot given it was essentially the same format. Did someone else own the rights to the name at the time?

It did seem like ATN was averse to taking productions from HSV when they were under different ownership because shows that resonated with a Melbourne audience weren’t always popular in Sydney.

I believe that Sale Of The Century was the original overseas title of the format in the late 1960s. Temptation was apparently an Australian variation, so perhaps there were some legalities over using the Sale Of The Century name here originally, clearly resolved by 1980.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound like “Pete Smith speaking” am.I correct? Any idea when he came onboard?

Ron Neate was the announcer for the first ten episodes of SOTC before Pete took over.

1 Like

Sounds like Pete Smith to me

It isn’t

3 Likes

15 July last year

3 Likes

This sounds very similar to the original Lateline, which started in 1990. Am I correct in assuming Kerry just took the idea to the ABC?

I hadn’t thought of that but do recognise the similarities- cover story then interview- now that you mention it. Well spotted.

On this day back in 1956, HSV-7 Melbourne begin their test transmissions.

3 Likes

A dark day for Australian TV !

16 July 2012

These YT videos have amassed a huge number of dislikes over the years - I think a combination of viewers not liking the show and possibly others expecting something to do with Lord of The Rings :slight_smile:

2 Likes

From what I recall, the ratings for the premiere episode of The Shire were a number which was appalling in 2012 but probably would be classed as a hit by current standards!

Although with the landscape as it is in 2019 with highly questionable shows like Non-Binding Commitment Ceremony Melodrama Married At First Sight (with the 2nd last episode of this season where a contestant poured wine on another scoring close to 2 million metro viewers - so classy :roll_eyes:), I genuinely wonder if The Shire, Being Lara Bingle and Brynee: My Bedazzled Life would’ve enjoyed more ratings success had they launched around 4-5 years later! :confused:

I didn’t watch the first episode of The Shire (as I was busy with studies) but what was the ratings like for the 5-city metro markets during the first episode? The second episode, saw ratings dive and continued its decline during the season.
Correct me if I’m wrong but did The Shire go against the 2012 Summer Olympics on Nine during the 2 weeks head-to-head?

Episode 1 rated 913,000, ep 2 had 1,062,000 but then the London Olympics came along and ep 3 had 537,000

2 Likes

So the second episode actually rated better than the premiere?