Olympics Rights 2024-32 (Nine)

Discovery already have pan-European rights, I wouldnt be surprised if they give it a go in other markets too

4 Likes

Helps to centralise some presentation/reporters/interviews/etc.

1 Like

No it won’t. 7 is the home of the Olympics in Australia.

In this current world, being the ‘home’ of a sports means jack all if you can’t cough up the cash or treat it well enough. Just look at tennis.

7 Likes

That’s a rubbish assertion. Their rights deal is over and it is up for grabs. The olympics have aired on other networks over the years.

5 Likes

It’s not true that 7 is the home of the Olympics as what they claim.

9 showed London 2012 and 10 showed LA 1984 and Seoul 1988 in the 1980s

4 Likes

Seven would argue though that they can use that tagline since they’ve shown more Olympics than Nine and 10 have.

5 Likes

I feel the same way. Just about every (Summer) Olympics in my talking lifetime has been on Seven. Nine had them in 2012 and it did not work out for them.

4 Likes

It’s my opinion to which I’m entitled.
That said, 7 consistently wins various awards for its Olympics coverage and I see today that Chris Reason has won an award from the AOC.
Hopefully some of this is remembered in the negotiation of rights, and they are not just awarded to the highest bidder.

1 Like

What strategy does the IOC take here? Who knows what is going to happen with inflation and the media landscape over the next decade. If they wait another 9 years to sell Brisbane they might get a much better price. But if they don’t bundle it with Paris and LA then I doubt there will be much interest in the rest of the package.

We’re talking about a rights package that will potentially include a home Olympics. I’ll be shocked if such a package isn’t awarded to the highest bidder.

2 Likes

This is the IOC we are talking about.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think an Australian broadcaster will hold the rights for much longer - they’ll be a sub-rights holder (if anything).

You’re kidding, right? The IOC will take whoever offers them the most $$. I think NEC have this in the bag. Combining their television and Stan budgets will put them in a powerful position.

4 Likes

I’m sure they will.

1 Like

Nine or ten are likely going to offer the IOC a significant amount for 2024-2032 rights

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see whether the reality that three of the next 4 olympics (summer and winter) are not great for Australian time zones will have an impact on bid prices.

4 Likes

Yeah but the carrot is Brisbane 2032

7 Likes

Probably both, they’ll try step 1, if they aren’t happy then go to step 2.

Paramount won’t pony up the cash and I doubt Bev will be able to scrounge enough spare change from under the couch cushions in the executive suite to be able to afford them so I guess that rules Ten out. Can’t see them wanting to pull those Bull and NCIS repeats to air something worthwhile that might draw viewers to the network, anyway.

4 Likes