Olympics Rights 2024-32 (Nine)

Nothing on the IOC website or its social media outlets either. So an announcement may not be made until after Christmas?

4 Likes

It has been mentioned on the Today Show but little fanfare.

2 Likes

I’m picking the fact that Seven announced internally they were out ruined the PR rollout.
Nine’s the last bid standing but probably hasn’t been officially signed off yet.

Not much value in announcing it late on December 23rd if you want headlines or a proper song-and-dance.

6 Likes

3 Likes

Not mentioned at 9:30

1 Like

I wonder if there will be a shift of talent over to Nine from rival networks with the lure of being involved in Olympic coverage?

Matt Shirvington and Mel McLaughlin come to mind of talent who went to Seven for the Olympics.

1 Like

@Blackbox has obtained Warburton’s email which reads:

A massive end to the year with media rights negotiations on the Cricket and The Olympics.

The news is that we have made the decision to not retain the Olympics rights for 2024 to 2032.

The hard part – we love sport and particularly the Olympics – so this does feel like a kick in the guts.

Whilst you would think this is negative news, the reality is that the Olympics has been uneconomic and led to substantial losses and put massive pressure on our balance sheet over a long period of time.

BUT the truth is we have been forging a new path and these decisions of ‘economics over ego’ will completely liberate the business to go to our next phase of growth.

Cricket discussions are ongoing and I will provide an update as soon as they are finalised.

Have a great Christmas and see you in 2023 !!

1 Like

Sarah Harris? She’s born in Brisbane and I think could be paired with Karl to host the opening and closing ceremonies of Brisbane 2032.

1 Like

Yet his ego didn’t allow for them not to overbid in the AFL rights. What a fraud. He’s a disaster.

2 Likes

I would take no notice of what is said internally in order to keep morale etc up. Internal memos have to be read in the manner they’re meant for.

7 Likes

Not a good day for the Seven Network…. Are we now thinking Seven might up its bidding price for the Cricket rights?

6 Likes

Or maybe lose the rights despite court ruling.

Short of the official announcement, the on air one makes it pretty clear.

5 Likes

Usually one country or another “wins the Olympics”… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

It’s a good day financially for Seven. The Olympic broadcasts aren’t profitable.

The FTA landscape will look a lot different in 2032.

4 Likes

I didn’t mind 9’s coverage of London 2012. I think when it comes to the Olympics the coverage is good on either 7 or 9.

3 Likes

My instant memory of Sevens coverage of Tokyo was with the Opening Ceremony and Seven pretending it is live when it was delayed and I even think they went to an ad break during one of the segments- it could’ve even been a national anthem??

3 Likes

They didn’t had the Live watermark on. Nine went to an ad break in 2012 during the Torch Relay Montage in the Opening Ceremony

1 Like

My instant memory is Basil and Thorpey’s call of Ariarne Titmus‘ history making win over Katie Ledecky in the pool. But sure, each to their own.

4 Likes