Olympics Rights 2024-32 (Nine)

Report on Nine possibly bidding for Olympics.

2 Likes

Really the biggest gain will be the Brisbane Olympics and Nine (and Seven and even 10) would be keen for that. Paris and LA would just be the icing on the cake even though they’re likely to be loss makers due to Timezone differences.

Nine also have Stan Sports (10 with Paramount) which will put them in prime spot to have all access to every form of rights on FTA and SVOD.

6 Likes

Nine lost a lot of money last time it showed the Olympics (Vancouver 2010 and London 2012) so the only reason it got interested again in the rights was Brisbane 2032.

I doubt Los Angeles 2028 will be as a big loss maker as Paris 2024. The 17 hour difference between LA and Sydney/Melbourne means primetime events like swimming and athletics will be shown during daytime here.

6 Likes

Not to mention primetime can be used to show the best of the day’s action.

3 Likes

I think they have mentioned it.

In 2014, Seven paid $170 million for a three-Olympic game package to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) which included the rights to the Winter Olympics in Beijing, China in 2022.

Under the deal, it also exercised an option to extend the agreement to include the 2024 Summer Olympic Games, however it is unclear whether Seven will extend the agreement.

1 Like

Yeah - I noticed that re-reading the article which is why I removed the bit you quoted.

2 Likes

For the last LA Olympics, live coverage started around midnight. So primetime was all delayed/repeated coverage from overnight and the next morning.

Will the IOC have separate broadcast deals for the next few Winter and Summer Olympics (2026 Winter Olympics will be held in Milan, Italy)? If so, that makes it easier for Nine to bid.

2 Likes

They normally like to do multiple/long-term deals (so the number looks bigger), and they’ll know everyone will want the Brisbane games so they’ll try to bundle it all in together.

1 Like

:joy: funny how they mention Sports Flick. Doesn’t exist anymore! And not Paramount+.

1 Like

Brisbane 2032 will be a long-term investment for whichever Australian network getting its hands on. Who knows by then which football codes (AFL, NRL etc.) the network will have the rights to by then?

2 Likes

Who knows what the ‘networks’ will look like by then…

5 Likes

Amazon are also interested. But this will be great if Nine can nab the rights.

3 Likes

NEC needs a big multisports event to boost ratings. They had experience in the past

1 Like

Maybe Nine and Amazon go into a joint deal?

Nine’s got Stan Sport so they’ll most likely go at it alone.

5 Likes

Most lkely alone. Nine and 9Now/Stan Sport as what they do with their Australian Open coverage. Stan for ad-free and 9now for ad-supported

3 Likes

Back in 2012 Foxtel had 8 channels with Nine only restricted to single-channel coverage.

A lot of things have changed since the last time Nine owned the rights to the Olympics so 2024-2032 will be an improvement to their last attempt.

4 Likes

9’s coverage of London 2012 makes 7’s terrible coverage look good

8 Likes

You can say that again. I reckon since they sent Karl to Switzerland they’ll probably shove him onto their Olympics coverage if they get the rights.

If only our networks will make better efforts to cover the Olympics. Doesn’t have to be lavish American style, even a minimalist, yet sophisticated approach by the likes of BBC or CBC in Canada would be fantastic.

7 Likes