Olympics Coverage - History

They are saying somewhere in august 2032. But the qld government will need to upgrade the facilities and stadia as well as transport and health

Trailer released to mark 500 days Tokyo 2020. 7 should partner with the Olympic Channel for a dedicated 7OlympicChannel like with NBC in the US.

4 Likes

Seven must really be looking forward to the Olympics. They paid so much for it so they might as well do a good job at it compared to their cricket.

2 Likes

Of course they would be, especially coming off a lacklustre cricket season and less than impressive primetime ratings of late…

1 Like

On the edge of my seat!

2 Likes

1.I Think that the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo will be a good one. Especially when Australia will do well in swimming, diving, boxing, cycling, athletics, and gymnastics. This will be a favourable time zone in Australia and will see ratings boost up to More than 40% primetime for Channel 7.
2. The AFL matches will have to be shunted to 7mate (as what channel 7 did with afl matches clashing with Rio Olympics and the GC2018 Games). Afl doesn’t rate high than the Olympic Games (as this is a worldwide sporting event)
3. There will be a 7Olympics Channel app to stream the events live. I think that Australians will see other events like the karate, skateboarding, baseball, rugby 7s, archery, boxing, badminton, tennis, water polo.
4. Bruce McAvaney, basil Zempilas will be in Tokyo. If they are unavailable for afl, I think that Jason Bennett, James brayshaw, Nigel Carmody and Brian Taylor will call the afl matches.

1 Like

Will the IOC move the swimming like they did in Beijing to cater for the US market and NBC primetime? As usual we will get shafted.

Japan will put on a good games. Seven will probably go cheap again and not have proper sets and people hosting and calling from Australia. They clearly over paid for the rights and have to do overall coverage on the cheap.

1 Like

I sure hope you’re wrong with that prediction and that they at least put in some effort into the games. It will be good for Seven, the viewers and the media landscape in general.

Being cheap is not going to help.

2 Likes

Of course.

1 Like

Surprising the US hasn’t bribed the IOC to guarantee a gold medal for the US in every event yet. The Americans just seem to have a bottomless pit of cash.

1 Like

Don’t give NBC any more ideas!!

I seriously doubt the viewer would even know if they were calling the rowing from venue or from the Docklands studio.

Seven presented Athens from the Docklands studio but sent commentators and production staff to Beijing.

Even Nine presented from London’s IBC in 2012.

The whole presentation was in Beijing IIRC. It was certainly a great occasion.

1 Like

Even if they send commentators there, it’s often done from the IBC rather than venues as they have better faculties.

2 Likes

The only venues probably worth doing a live call from would generally be the Swimming pool, athletics stadium, the velodrome and perhaps medal matches from say the football and basketball stadia. Much of the remainder can easily be called off screen (there’s not much that can really be added by going live to the shooting or archery range or to wherever the sailing is).

4 Likes

Adding to that, as Frankie mentioned, it’s usually simply not possible to do so for some events . And when you’re presented with a choice of calling from the IBC or home it makes financial sense to call from home and save coin.

4 Likes

I believe their coverage in Beijing won the Gold medal for media coverage, beating NBC. It truely was a great broadcast and part of that was hosting and commentating from Beijing. Yes it’s expensive, but it does make the broadcast better. Being able to interview athletes on set, interview commentators on set and have the hosts give tours around the park and everything, it’s so much better. Also, Bruce Macavaney really didn’t have much of a role in the first week of Rio and it was a bit awkward. Hosting from Tokyo would allow him to possibly host for the first week or be on set for interviews. My hope is that given Tokyo is a Timezone friendly games for Australia, 7 will have many more viewers than Rio and will hopefully put in more effort including hosting from Tokyo. Given the Timezone, they may even get more money for advertisements making it easier financially…

On another note, Brenton Speed who is now in an expanded role at Fox Sports commentated the rowing for 7 at Rio (replacing Basil from Beijing). IIRC, James Brayshaw commentated the rowing for 9 in London. Now he is with 7, it could be a possibility that he will now do the rowing?

3 Likes

Even national news programmes came out of BCM then, due to Seven moving into Martin Place.

1 Like

Seven hosted Rio 2016 from a set-up in Sydney, remember that ‘virtual wall’ but turned out to be a bit of a failure judging what everyone here on MS said at the time.

Olympics, even hosts/presenters, should always be on location (i.e.) Tokyo.

Though they reverted for Pyeongchang, commentators were back at Docklands. But Hamish McLachlan, Rachel Finch, Edwina and Jason Richardson were in South Korea.

Gold Coast Comm Games was all on location, as it should have been, but not surprising I guess being in Australia.

—

Seven were so happy with the ratings last year for Pyeongchang and Gold Coast, that they got those same Seven Sport production teams to do their UpFronts and other events according to TV Tonight at the time.

Therefore I’d expect they’ll try to get the exact same staff for Tokyo.

Probably more additions being Summer Olympics (as big as it gets really) too, such as Kylie Gillies (a long time 7Olympics presenter dating back to Sydney 2000), she hosted afternoons during Rio 2016.

1 Like