Olympics Coverage - History

A lot of people slammed Channel 7’s 2018 Paralympics Coverage on Twitter.

5 Likes

Before the daily highlights, the first chance local viewers get to see vision from the previous day’s competition is through Early News and Sunrise. Not good enough.

3 Likes

So they should be - even if they just streamed events live via 7Plus alongside the highlights show would be sufficient

1 Like

Studio linking segments of coverage all in SD

1 Like

NBC has some events live on their cable channels and has multiple live streams available, and CBC has been live streaming multiple events.

The Seven Network should hang their head in shame. I can understand a network not showing every event of the Summer and Winter Paralympics live, no one appears to be doing that, but what Seven is doing, showing a spattering of highlights the next day, is pathetic.

4 Likes

In 2014 ABC did the same I’m pretty sure, just a highlights show in the evenings.

Edit: It was a half hour package repeated twice a day.

I agree it should be more this year though.

In 2018 with 7Plus Seven should be doing better than highlights.

1 Like

They also live streamed selected sports via their website

1 Like

So no live streaming this year was a big step backwards.

EDIT: today (March 17) there is an article on ABC Sport website on the issue of non-live coverage through Seven’s platforms.

3 Likes

Hand the rights back to the ABC.

3 Likes

What a difference 18 months is, for Rio 2016 the Seven Network had extensive live coverage and now to just 1 hour of highlights for Pyongyang daily.

ABC had 8.5 hours of live coverage for London 2012

Beijing 2018 had over 100 hours of live coverage on the ABC, which was the most extensive coverage of any broadcaster in the wolrd

2 Likes

Those three games you referenced were the Summer Paralympics which always have been covered more extensively than the Winter Paralympics

3 Likes

when was the last time there was live coverage of Winter Paralympics. I think in 2014, from my memory that ABC had highlights of it. I can’t recall 2010 Vancouver coverage.

According to Wikipedia, 2014 opening ceremony live, live streaming of events and daily highlights. From memory, 2010 and 2006 was 6pm, 30 mins highlights.

1 Like

thanks for that, however I am more interested in the terrestrial TV coverage rather than online streaming.

No worries, still, better than this year! The highlights were on terrestrial.

You mean Pyeongchang? Pyongyang is a capital city of North Korea.

I don’t get it why they have channel 7 and 7Two televising 1 hour highlights during the late night session with 7mate having highlights during The morning

1 Like

Even ABC has a story about the coverage

Now the Pyeongchang Winter Paralympic Games are over, the geoblocking for Australia is beginning to be lifted. You can now watch the opening ceremony and events from the first 2-3 days in full on YouTube. Highlights from last night’s closing ceremony is also available, and in full HD as well.

2 Likes

The 3rd Summer Youth Olympic Games will be held in Buenos Aires, Argentina on the 6th-18th October 2018 (Australia, 7-19 October 2018). I think that the Seven Network will probably air short highlights of the YOG during the day. This is similar to when 7mate had a one hour highlights of the Games back in Nanjing, nearly 4 years ago.

https://www.buenosaires2018.com/es

3 Likes