Olympics Coverage - History

Basil’s “commentary”, for want of a better word, is atrocious. He has no knowledge of aerial skiing whatsoever.

2 Likes

Hamish & Edwina are both hosting the “highlights show” from 7PM to 9PM AEDT in today’s coverage from outside their broadcasting ‘studio’ there.

And you do!!!

I”m not being paid to commentate, unlike Basil.

Not making a single comment about manoeuvres and saying “Laura Peel” non stop for 3hrs made his appalling effort at the Aus Open seem first rate.

Is a lot of the commentary done from Sydney?

Most of the commentary comes from Pyeongchang.

1 Like

From what I’ve heard is Basil is in Sydney commentating from a video feed as he still does morning radio in Perth via sister station in Sydney.

There is a photo upthread of Basil in what is almost certainly a Melbourne office.

They did Rio from Sydney but that was a much bigger operation. 7 Sport’s main base is in Melbourne and I imagine they have permanent facilities to run this sort of coverage from Docklands.

1 Like

Unless 7 are flying Jacqui Cooper, Dave Culbert and Dirk Nannes up to Sydney (possible I suppose), 7’s commentary is from Melbourne.
Pete Donegan is doing the World Feed, as is Mark Doran. I’m not sure about the figure skating commentators as I’ve tried to avoid it!
Essentially, if you see them on screen they’re in Korea.
If the commentator doesn’t interact with the host (Donegan great example) they’re world feed.
If you don’t see them but they do interact with hosts they’re in Melbourne.

5 Likes

Next Sunday is the Winter Olympics closing ceremony. Problem is, it is scheduled to start at 10pm AEDT which, due to time difference, will clash with the debut of Australian Spartan in Perth. Will Perth viewers have to watch the closing ceremony on delay, or live on 7mate instead of main channel?

Revised program for today Sunday 18 February.

• Olympic silver medallist David Morris flies for gold
  • Russ Henshaw’s podium tilt
  • Aussies David Mari and Lucas Mata launch into bobsleigh

1 Like

Figure Skating is world feed.

Looks like just hosts and reporters over there.

1 Like

Epg has coverage on mate from 7 00 pm in Perth

4 Likes

Seven Australian commentary is comimg from Australia, bar Peter Donegan (who I’m told is in Korea working for world feed).

Overseas commentators are coming from Korea.

Everybody else (Hamish et al) is also in Korea.

Correct.

A whole floor at Docklands is dedicated to Seven Sport, as seen during a segment of The Front Bar.

With various network sport personalities and famous sporting champions framed in pictures on the wall.

Most of Seven Sport’s staff are based there too, with the exception of Head of Sport (Saul Shtein), sport sales executives and sport legal who are all at Pyrmont, Sydney.

Of course there are many sport personalities and cameraman/crew based all over Australia, many freelance.

1 Like

They had a little bit of cross country I think yesterday (or one of the multi events) sounded like Steve Robilliad commentating, presumably for the world feed too.

3 Likes

Definitely not from what I saw on that rather prolonged video from The Front Bar, was really interesting to see more of Docklands’ studio space and building lay-out.

Unless the Seven Sport logos / photo frames I saw are hang up across that floor, but the actual Seven Sport space/offices are just in one specific area, is that what you’re saying?

1 Like

Isn’t it just off the back of the newsroom?

1 Like

Wouldn’t have a clue, never been on a tour or invited in

Cheers, I had assumed that but wasn’t sure so didn’t want to make outlandish statement about who was where.