Olympics Coverage - History

I[quote=“Mitchell_Nock, post:1639, topic:627, full:true”]
The commentators and hosts are all there. From what I can tell, nothing is being done from a studio back in Australia like with Rio. Don’t be harsh and jump to conclusions like you tend to do.
[/quote]

Clearly i was right and as usual your love affair with seven clouds your judgements :roll_eyes:. Get a grip your praise for seven is clearly in the minority across the community

1 Like

Alright, so where is The Chase now in Sydney & Melbourne?? Seven have scheduled it and I’m not seeing it…

Edit: Sorry, I actually posted this at 4:58 AEDT before it started later at around 5:03 AEDT but my posts never appear when I actually post them :angry:

I thought that Seven were going to do the same thing as yesterday and scrap their scheduled show leading into the news in favour of continued Olympics coverage without advising viewers beforehand somehow. If they do that, it is nice to advise viewers of the change.

yes it was but all they keep doing was repeating the same thing over and over again on all 3 channels. It was almost like we just watched that moment on a different channel, then they would do it again for some reason on a different channel.

Where are you looking? It’s on on my TV right now.

The Chase started at 5:03pm (which was also scheduled in the EPG, odd time, why not 3min earlier :thinking:)

1 Like

So it was actually scheduled to start later in Sydney? I’m so used to it starting at 4:58 on the dot since I thought it needs that 61 minutes running time so it can all fit in before the news at 5:59 on the dot. This is why I was wondering what was going on…

Maybe it was a shorter ep? Who knows. Anyway it aired. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So a shorter episode conveniently aired at the same time the Winter Olympics are on. Hmm, I don’t buy that, considering all episodes are produced months before and they would not have known this episode would be aired during the Winter Olympics. They can’t just shorten an episode on the day it airs.

1. they might have.

Or

1. Seven dumped/shuffled ad inventory to make it fit. Hardly unheard of.
10 Likes

I thought this may have been an option as to what they could do but I didn’t realise networks are allowed to shorten the lengths of ad breaks in a program because it started later than it was scheduled to. I thought they are obligated to show a certain number of ads for a certain length of time inside a show, according to broadcasting laws or something.

The maximum advertising they can show out of prime time is 15 minutes an hour but there’s certainly no minimum.

They could show no ads if they wanted to (not a great way to run a business though!).

4 Likes

Maybe there was less ads? I don’t think it really matters.
Anyway, coverage seems a bit better today!

3 Likes

I enjoyed the Glasgow coverage especially not waking up in the middle of the night to watch the swimming and track and field finals thanks to the Glasgow encore.

Bruce will be 67 by the time Tokyo arrives which will certainly be his last Olympics.

The almost certainly would. The show airs every weekday with the very odd exception, so they should know exactly which recording is for which day - particularly at the time of editing.

1 Like

Please, you’re psyching me out.

What’s with all these theories about Bruce McAvaney’s imminent retirement?

No media / article is reporting it. Like I mentioned, he has publicly stated that he wants to work as long as possible. He’s still full time, you’ll see him all over the Comm Games, AFL, horse racing…

Because he’s an older man (nearing the usual retirement age) who has not been in the best health and has been clearly scaling back his workload?

I would have thought that would be enough?

Regardless the post you quoted suggested nothing of Bruce’s ‘imminent retirement’. In fact he suggested he’d be going until 2020.

3 Likes

Hamish has appeared to take over hosting duties at about 9:15 PM AEDT tonight, a little before NSW/VIC join coverage on the main channel tonight. Until now, he has appeared on Saturday night and Sunday night when they joined coverage on the main channel after it got interrupted by nightly programs.

Fair enough.

It’s just I’m positive @BigVic has mentioned this a few times already.

Bruce essentially hinted in an article (when his cancer diagnosis came out) that commentating is what gets him though / his passion still.

He may still go beyond 2020, I’d have thought until at least the end of the current AFL broadcast rights (which started last year, ending 6 years after).

Is anybody having issues with the web streaming? It keeps timing out (or something similar, page just goes blank suddenly and I have to reload it) for me tonight.

We’ve got our first Winter Olympics medal :medal_military:

Go Matt Graham!

Just not sure of the colour yet, but he’s guaranteed.

Update

It’s Silver :tada: (Was sitting on Gold, just got pipped)

:clap::clap::clap:

6 Likes