Olympics Coverage - History

i really do hope things change when tokyo arrives or when the commonwealth games arrive there were a few things that 7 could have taken from the 0b feed that they didnt

1 Like

The commentators and hosts are all there. From what I can tell, nothing is being done from a studio back in Australia like with Rio. Donā€™t be harsh and jump to conclusions like you tend to do.

1 Like

Olympics always has production / presenting / commentary out of Australia in some form, especially Winter.

Seven do have a significant contingent at Pyeongchang: Hamish McLachlan, Edwina Bartholomew, Mel McLaughlin, Jason Richardson, Emma Davenport, Rachel Finch and that Jump Skiing expert who is often seen with Richo (mental blank on the name).

Not sure about Basil Zempilas, Peter Donegan or Dave Culbert.

This from social mediaā€¦ Ideas of where he could be? :thinking:

3 Likes

The commentary is clearly not all from Pyeongchang considering Dirk Nannes, the moguls co-commentator is in Melbourne. Zempilas must be as well unless they have one commentator in SK and one in Melbourne simultaneously for the same sport, which I doubt.

2 Likes

Could that desk/office [Basil] not be at the International Broadcast Centre in Pyeongchang?

1 Like

What was bizarre was during most of the time they were airing delayed figure skating, they could have aired ā€¦ live figure skating

4 Likes

Okay, I thought Basil was there, considering he still has not returned to Perth and he commentated the Opening Ceremony. I would have thought he would need to be there for thatā€¦

Is that Mark Doran commentating luge for the world feed?

1 Like

Michael Kennedy I think is the skiing guys name.
Donegan is doing the World Feed I believe, donā€™t know about Doran.

2 Likes

What? Youā€™re kidding

Mark Doran not Matt.
If Markā€™s social media is anything to go by he is in Korea.

2 Likes

Yes itā€™s Mark Doran (former Seven sport reporter) who has called various Olympic events before, both for Seven and for the world feed. He is calling luge with American Ashley Walden, who finished eighth in womenā€™s single luge at Salt Lake City Winter Olympics in 2002.

1 Like

Dirk Nannes was at the MCG yesterday, thatā€™s a decent commute if heā€™s also in Korea.

2 Likes

LOL I was gonna say!

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. I donā€™t think sport is Matt Doranā€™s forteā€¦

1 Like

I wasnā€™t referring to him. I was more referring to Sevenā€™s team of hosts, commentators and reporters like Hamish, Mel, Eddy, Tom Williams, Rachael Finch etc who are there. In fact, why donā€™t we see much of Mark Beretta hosting/commentating?

Not sure if itā€™s been mentioned, but at 11pm (bang on, so probably automated in Sevenā€™s broadcast system/scripts for tonight) AEDT a coloured bug popped up in the bottom left on 7mate (and Iā€™d dare say 7Two and maybe 7flix) saying ā€œAussie Medal Alert - Change Channelā€ or something.

I didnā€™t see it on 7, the main channel in WA, during MKR

Iā€™m sorry, you said the ā€œcommentators and hosts are all thereā€. Clearly they arenā€™t, including Basil and Dirk.

Was Basil seen on camera when he did the. Opening Ceremony? I only saw Hamish and a female and heard Basil doing the parade, but dropped in and out so I wouldnā€™t know.

3 Likes

Jacqui Cooper called the Parade of Nations with Zempilas. Her social media suggests sheā€™s currently in Beaumaris, which is nowhere near Korea :grin:

2 Likes