Olympics Coverage - History

That’s exactly what should happen. Seven and Foxtel should have shared rights with Seven showing as I said, the most popular events in the eyes of the majority of Australian people so it can still partly be on free-to-air but Fox Sports can have the more extensive, in-depth coverage option for the real die hard fans. You’re right that this is what should happen with the rights to the Olympic Games in particular where there are just too many events for one free-to-air TV network to show alone that doesn’t even focus primarily on sports and sports alone.

Replaying the opening ceremony when there was live action taking place is indefensible.

On a side note, where’s Jim Wilson? How does Edwina get a gig over a sports presenter?

But as I said in an earlier comment, people were asking Seven on social media to replay it because they missed it so they were doing the right thing by them. Maybe it should have been replayed on a multichannel then?

And yes Jim Wilson should be there hosting definitely. Where is he anyway, at such a crucial time for Seven Sport. Isn’t he supposed to be the sports editor? He didn’t even present sport in Sydney’s news tonight as normal, Mel did from Pyeongchang after hosting Seven’s Winter Olympic coverage for half the day earlier.

1 Like

Update

Telecast (finally) finished at 2:23am AEDT.

Hamish joked “have a good sleep, have a good breakfast… Which in some parts of Australia isn’t too far away” :joy:

Also “HD” missing from 7HD again and will be until after first ad break of Aquarius.

Makes sense to utilise Mel on the ground to read the news, even if it is only for day one.

1 Like

A; 7 is a broadcaster - read the first part slowly, BROAD. i.e. they cater for many.
B; The best part of the Olympics is seeing unfamiliar or less-seen sports and trying to figure it all out.
C; The W.O’s have been on for one an a half days, how can you compare anyone’s coverage of anything, other than the Opening Ceremony?
D; What MediaSpy really needs are more sexual tension threads.

7 Likes

What about “doing the right thing” for those who had watched live on Friday night? If Seven felt the need to replay it a multichannel should have been used. It’s the equivalent of showing last week’s footy game rather than a live game.

The only winter Olympic event I’m interested in is the figure skating,so far I’ve watched some on the app. I’ve also upgraded to premium.

Yes it was. I had it on in the background between 7 and 8

A disagreement with your opinion is not bullying, it’s debate. However, if you feel anyone has crossed that line on this site, I would encourage you to report the post to staff using the flag icon at the bottom of the offending post rather than responding directly to it.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I don’t see the value in upgrading to premium - their iOS app is a steaming pile of crap and their web streaming isn’t much better

But then since we would probably end up with the situation which existed for the Vancouver and London Olympics, the conversations/complaints being made in this thread about Seven’s coverage so far would be almost identical (if not harsher) to the ones that would be made under such a scenario in terms of the FTA coverage.

1 Like

I haven’t had issues with the app or website so can’t speak in that regard. However, between not having to sit through 30 - 45 seconds of pre-roll ads everytime I change streams and being able to watch the streams in HD (even though such a feature should frankly be standard) - the upgrade is worth it for how I use the service

1 Like

I find it worthwhile because no ads and I can change to watching another sport if I want to

Can I just say I really like Eddy as a Seven Sport host (mid-late arvo), would be great to see her in more prime-time :+1:

Seven won last night & Olympics beat cricket in Sydney (but not cricket obsessed Melbourne, MCG game). 7mate also did really well, despite only being used as channel between 5:30pm and 7pm & morning for Brisbane and Perth.

I may or may not have been enjoying the Ski Jumping very late last night :skier: :sleeping:

1 Like

Two words. Australian Spartan

People can stream the games live on the 7Olympics app.

5 Likes

No mention of the national rating comparison between cricket and Olympics? Really makes your post read like spin.

5 Likes

Edwina Bartholomew taking over host position as at 3:17pm AEDT (from Mel McLaughlin)

Story (with reporter/producer Emma Davenport) on Seven Sport sponsor & clothing supplier Pure Snow

This afternoon’s snowboarding has been postponed the past couple of hours, due to inclement weather conditions.

Broadcast showing delayed figure skating instead.

Officials say all schedules should resume (possibly delayed) tonight for prime-time.

1 Like

Live Cross Country skiing is on the web and app - but Seven persist with delayed figure skating

4 Likes