Olympics Coverage - History

what? :open_mouth:

8 Likes

Is this an official PR response, because it reads like one

4 Likes

peter donegan currently commentating for World Feed - OBS on 7 now

What a good all-rounder commentator

1 Like

:roll_eyes: another press release out of the seven publicity department. Do u seriously believe this bullshit?

I think 7 underestimates Australian interest in other countriesā€™ participation. Given Australiaā€™s high percentage of immigrants, let alone people with non Australian parents, many people have sentimental connections to other nations.

4 Likes

I reckon there is also genuine interest in certain events even if there no Australians involved. Iā€™ve seen people talk about ice hockey and figure skating, for example.

4 Likes

The 1950s called and were wondering where you got to mate.

3 Likes

I see not many of you like being kind on here yet cyber-bullying remains a big issue at the moment. I think a lot of you and other such people on social media should watch what you say. Iā€™m just trying to suggest why Seven might be doing things the way they are. They canā€™t please everyone!! You guys are just always too harsh; why not try and be positive about something, giving constructive criticism and not being plain rude.

1 Like

I understand the point you were trying to make, that Seven canā€™t please everyone so theyā€™ll focus broadly on Australians, but you lost me at ā€œAustralians should only care about Australiansā€. Where do you get that from?

6 Likes

Okay that part isnā€™t fair I admit. What I mean is that we should be putting our own country before any other in the coverage that our country receives. That should be quite logical. I donā€™t think Seven could logistically show every Winter Olympics event either. For example, if they start to show an event that New Zealand is in but donā€™t follow it up into the final of that event, they would get slammed. They canā€™t win either way!!

Just been watching the Korea v Switzerland womenā€™s ice hockey match on the OlympicsOn7 site. Considering the massive historical significance of a united Korean team for even a single event, it should be on terrestrial TV.

Irrespective of this, surely Seven couldā€™ve sidelined the lifestyle content on 7TWO or the blokey content on 7mate and turned one of their multichannels in to a secondary Olympic stream channel. Reserve the most popular events for the main channel, but feature the next-most-popular events on either 72 or 73 in a similar fashion.

Even better, for the duration of the games (summer, winter, Commonwealth), create a temporary MPEG-4 HD channel on 74, 75, 76 or 77 for such a purpose. People can still see the most popular events on the main channel in SD or HD so no real loss, just additional HD coverage for secondary events.

8 Likes

Any chance 7 could do us a favour and show anything at all live instead of on 0 minute delay???

Say it again but slowerā€¦

2 Likes

For some reason my autocorrect dislikes the first number! Try live instead of 10 (as in ten) minutes but suggesting itā€™s live

Um no. Sports fans care about watching the best in the world.

The Winter Olympics are also the only time that many sports are telecast on Australian TV meaning many viewers lap them up.

9 Likes

I donā€™t disagree with you there. What Iā€™m trying to say is that there should be some other premium Olympics app or site or something that lets die hard fans like what you are describing to see all Olympic events and to see the best Olympic athletes competing (clearly not the Seven one, from what Iā€™ve heard that isnā€™t good), Seven are doing the best they can but thereā€™s no way a free-to-air TV station could cover everything. Of course there should at least be some solution for Australian viewers to get more than what Seven can offer, we do deserve that I agree with you there.

Ten had a fair dinkum crack at covering everything in Sochiā€¦

1 Like

I do think Seven should utilise their multichannels better but for something that is free, only the most popular and important events should be shown, I believe.

If Seven didnā€™t hoard the subscription TV rights then Foxtel could have been that solution

2 Likes

So you believe 7ā€™s coverage is superior to 10ā€™s coverage in Sochi? Cos itā€™s not, itā€™s not even close.

2 Likes