Olympics Coverage

Swimming coverage at lunchtime will affect ratings in primetime. 3 million people watched the Opening Ceremony in Beijing in 2008.

2 Likes

I reckon another way for the AFL to work around Friday July 24 (which is the date of the Opening Ceremony) is to have a game on the previous evening (Thursday July 23) instead, with no game on the Friday at all.

This would avoid any prospects of a clash with the Opening Ceremony.

But I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what the AFL do (next year’s fixture will be released towards the end of October)

1 Like

Seven News wasn’t shortened during the Rio Olympics, so I’d probably expect it (with no doubt extensive Olympics coverage) to still be on for the full hour during Tokyo 2020.

If the rumours about a Today Tonight relaunch/revival are at all true, I’d probably also expect that to air during the Olympics. Maybe even The Chase Australia too.

3 Likes

A quick point outs:

1. Yeah, I think that The Morning Show will take hiatus. This was similar to 3 years ago in Rio when they put this show on hiatus. Kylie Gillies did the highlights while TMS was taking a break. What happened with Larry Emdur during the Rio Games period?
  2. Today Tonight - Adelaide and Perth viewers did not have TT due to the RIo games 3 years ago. I think it will be the same for Tokyo 2020.
  3. The Front Bar - What will happen to The Front Bar for Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth (as well as Sydney and Brisbane) viewers.
2 Likes

Regarding the last point, I remember that Seven rested all of their AFL magazine shows (eg; GameDay, Talking Footy, etc) during the Rio Olympics so they’ll probably do that again. As such, guessing TFB would be subjected to the same fate unless they do special Olympics episodes (like they did last year with the Winter Olympics)

2 Likes

This is similar to Pyeongchang 2018 with The Morning Show putting on hiatus. Who know what the schedule will look like for Tokyo 2020 Games. The outcome is that AFL games will have to be moved to 7mate as the Games take priority. The Tokyo Games is a global event. They will use the Primary Channel, 7Two, 7mate and even 7flix.

2 Likes

Also worth noting, the majority of Seven programs (incl The Chase Australia, Home and Away, The Morning Show, The Daily Edition etc.) also took a break during last year’s Commonwealth Games.

1 Like

I’m sure the Front Bar could take a break for 2 weeks, and commence an Olympic edition instead.

2 Likes

During the GC2018 Games, Seven took a break from The Chase Australia, HAA, MKR. Why did Seven didn’t do the same for the Pyeongchang Games, given that they were in a friendly timezone towards South Korea.

2 Likes

Good question. Generally speaking, I don’t think the Winter Games rates as astronomically as the Summer Games do, and they only sent Eddy and Hamish McLachlan to Pyeongchang to cover the event.

When Seven had the 2002 Commonwealth Games, Mark Beretta presented the majority of the coverage. Whether this was actually from Manchester or from a dedicated studio in Sydney (like Hamish did for the Rio 2016 Games) is unknown.

1 Like

Yeah I would have thought that the Pyeongchang 2018 Games on 7 rated much higher than the Sochi 2014 Games on TEN due to timezone difference. As well as this, they also used 7mate for the South Korea Games. When we get to 2022 Beijing Winter Games, who knows which FTA broadcaster will get the Games.

3 Likes

Athens 2004 was done from a studio in Melbourne/Greece but Seven sent production staff and crew to Beijing 4 years later.

2 Likes

I believe that was to do with then cost. Crew flying from Australia to Athens is going to be more expensive. HAving a studio in Melbourne is cheaper and viable for a sporting event.

2 Likes

It came out of BCM.

Everything was coming out of Melbourne during those games, as ATN7 was moving into Martin Place.

3 Likes

I remember somebody on these forums posted a little while ago, some actual screencaps of the 2004 coverage and it was all in 4:3 or 14:9, but never truly 16:9 widescreen.

1 Like

Remember the Olympics / AFL drama during Beijing 2008? The media and public backlash that stemmed from that.

An issue they didn’t have to contend with during Athens 2004 having lost AFL rights.

Multi-channels resolved the issue by Rio 2016.

2 Likes

It’s Seven’s if they want it since they have the option in their current Olympics rights agreement to extend it until Paris 2024

3 Likes

Seven has an option to extend until Paris 2024. No doubt I’d expect them to do so.

1 Like

If 7 gets the rights to Beijing 2022, then 7 needs to juggle between Big Bash cricket and the Olympics. As well as this, they also have AFLW during February 2022.

3 Likes

In these days of multichannels and 7Plus would there be a problem?

1 Like