Olympics Coverage - History

Seven has announced it would show live coverage of the Paralympics in 2020 across the screens of 7.

Much better than the last Paralympics which was just a highlights package.

1 Like

The Tokyo Paralympics (August 25 to September 6) will occur during the AFL pre-finals bye, which hopefully mean some live coverage on the main channel on the bye weekend.

4 Likes

Seven West Media partners with APC for 2020 Tokyo Paralympics

180409120557738_Tokyo%202020%20square%20logo

Australia’s leading integrated media company, Seven West Media, (ASX: SWM) today announced that it has signed a wide-ranging agreement with the Australian Paralympic Committee to exclusively screen and stream the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics, and to support Australia’s Para-athletes in the run up to the Games.

Seven West Media Chief Executive Tim Worner said: “While we are delighted to have secured the exclusive rights to the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics, and have ambitions to show every available event, this is so much more than a simple broadcast deal for Seven.

“We recognise the opportunity to do something really special, and we’re going throw the weight of our entire multi-platform network behind our remarkable athletes. In partnership with the APC, our aim is to empower and inspire the team to even greater heights, and through our Parathon fundraising initiatives, help secure the financial support they need to reach their full potential.”

“We’ve learned so much through the course of the Rio and PyeongChang Paralympic Games and the integrated Para-sport program in the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, and we’re going to take all that to the next level in the run up to Tokyo.”

Australian Paralympic Committee Chief Executive Lynne Anderson said: “We couldn’t be happier to be extending and deepening our relationship with Seven, which now has a growing reputation as a world leader in Paralympic sport broadcasting.

“Following the Commonwealth Games in April, the APC received an overwhelming level of feedback about Seven’s Para-sport coverage, all of which was universally glowing with praise.

“Seven West Media is doing so much to show that all Australians – able-bodied and those with a disability – can aspire to achieve greatness via the power of sport, and we can’t wait to go for Gold in Tokyo.”

3 Likes

Surely they wouldn’t risk a joint North/South Korea bid at this stage. They’re just as likely to have a falling out before then. How about they unite then after a few decades of stability they bid? Surely they have more important things to sort out, lol

Finally, 4K coverage of the Olympics :raised_hands: Those without Foxtel 4K subscription will get to see something on FTA in 4K.

4 Likes

But streamed isn’t free-to-air. :thinking: I wonder if the 4K streaming channels will be part of a subscription service on 7plus?

4 Likes

But it won’t be FTA if it is streamed unless Seven simulcast their main channel coverage in 4k which I doubt reading that release - it sounds like a service provided by the host broadcaster much the same as Nine had 3D coverage of the London Olympics but not with Australian commentary.

3 Likes

If 4K coverage is streamed, not all computers and smartphones can screen them in 4K resolution.

I thought Seven announced that they might launch a 4K channel during the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

4k on FTA is a pipe dream. Streaming is fine.

Same could be said for FTA and TV.

4 Likes

Who’s looking forward to watching this?

1 Like

I heard that Brisbane could be bidding for the 2032 Summer Olympics. This will be the third city in Australia to host the Summer Olympics. Melbourne hosted in 1956, Sydney in 2000. I think that this will be good for Australia, however this will potentially clash with AFL, NRL, and even International Rugby Union. Back in 2000, the AFL and NRL pushed the start of season to early March and ended in late August. I think that the AFL, NRL and Super Rugby will be pushed to an earlier start, probably in late February-early March.

Even though Brisbane would be the host city, you’d have to imagine that the event would be marketed as a “South East Queensland Olympics” so the entire region feels included? Because it seems likely that existing venues on the Gold & Sunshine Coasts (both of which are in South East Queensland, but are distinctively different areas to Brisbane) will be used for some events.

While I do think South East Queensland is the only realistic/viable option if Australia wants to host another Olympic Games in the first half of this century, at the same time it seems unlikely that there’d be anywhere near the level of national euphoria for “SEQ2032” there was for Melbourne 1956 or Sydney 2000.

Correct me if I’m wrong on this, but doesn’t the IOC want all future Summer Olympic Games to be held in either July or August?

3 Likes

They are saying somewhere in august 2032. But the qld government will need to upgrade the facilities and stadia as well as transport and health

Trailer released to mark 500 days Tokyo 2020. 7 should partner with the Olympic Channel for a dedicated 7OlympicChannel like with NBC in the US.

4 Likes

Seven must really be looking forward to the Olympics. They paid so much for it so they might as well do a good job at it compared to their cricket.

2 Likes

Of course they would be, especially coming off a lacklustre cricket season and less than impressive primetime ratings of late…

1 Like

On the edge of my seat!

2 Likes