Olympics Coverage - History

It’s like Beijing 2008 all over again when NBC successfully persuaded the organising committee to hold the swimming finals in late morning, much to displeasure of other nations including Australia.
Having figure skating finals in the morning also means European viewers will have to stay up late to watch the events on TV.

At Australian Sports Commission Awards tonight

Best contribution to sport by an organisation through digital media to @7Sport for ‘Olympics on 7’ coverage of Rio Games

4 Likes

Seven also won best coverage of sport for people with disability for its coverage of the Rio Paralympics, while Bruce McAvaney won best coverage of sport by an individual (broadcast).
BTW, the awards are being held tonight at Mural Hall at the top of Myer Melbourne.

3 Likes

Host city announcements today

2024 - Paris

2028 - Los Angeles

Paris is virtually assured of hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics after its only rival Los Angeles announced it would now bid solely for the 2028 Games.

Both cities were competing for the 2024 Games after several other candidates withdrew from contention, and the stage was set for Paris to win its bid when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) confirmed that Los Angeles had agreed to the later date of 2028.

4 Likes

Can we see a A new Broadcasting package deal for the 2024, 2028 Olympic Games? This will be a good advantage for the FTA Networks. It can be either Seven or Nine that would be the broadcaster of the games. Obviously, TEN can’t bid for the Olympics due to the network going into voluntary administration this June.

With NBC having US coverage, it’s quite possible that Seven will do the next three.

I don’t think that’s how it works.

9 Likes

Seven have an option to extend their deal as part of their current package. They will probably look to do that and continue their long tradition of providing woeful coverage of the olympics. Most of their presenters aren’t broadcast quality. Horrible.

3 Likes

Seven has the option to extend their coverage to include the Beijing 2022 Winter Games and the Paris 2024 Summer Games.

The TBA 2026 Winter Games and Los Angeles 2028 Summer Games are yet to be sold in Australia.

NBC already have the rights to Beijing 2022, Paris 2024, TBD 2026, Los Angeles 2028, TBD 2030 and TBD 2032. The deal was announced back in May 2014 after the conclusion of the 2014 Winter Olympics.

I hope Seven on-sell the subcription rights to Foxtel for the 2018 and 2020 Olympics. Their paid app failed to deliver.

1 Like

6 months until Pyeongchang 2018 hits the screens of Seven.

6 Likes

Are you the Channel 7 spokesperson? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

With the situation escalating in North Korea, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the pin pulled on the event.

6 Likes

The only thing that is escalating is Trump’s political desperation…

1 Like

So Kim Jong-un’s threat to unleash missile strikes on Guam is all hot air? I don’t think you grasp the seriousness of the situation if you think Trump’s rhetoric is simply “political desperation”.

6 Likes

Um, yes.

Kim has a good thing going for himself in the North Korea right now. The best outcome for him is to maintain the status quo which means doing just enough to keep his people impressed at his almighty power and strength but without doing too much as to give the US an excuse to blow him to pieces.

And I don’t think you realise how desperate Trump is to find a strong, unifying issue that will attract the almost unanimous support of the US population to help bolster himself politically.

I’d suggest that North Korea today poses about as much a military threat to the rest of the world as Iraq did back in 2003.

2 Likes

So we have an evil despot making threats nobody is sure he can carry out, not just against the US, and you assert the reason for Trump’s tough talking response is to bolster himself politically. Just two mad men having a pissing contest. My mind is at ease. I no longer have any concern that the Winter Olympics will go ahead.

1 Like

The Olympics should go ahead. South Korea has spent 7 years preparing to host the Games

Well yeah. Which is a good reason to be worried about the event.

1 Like

North Korea has been a threat since 1953, and recently in the past few decades, a global threat. Nothing New.

Former 2UW and Channel Ten reporter Mike Tancred is leaving his media job at the AOC. There should be a more calm relationship between the media and the AOC, you would hope.