Rugby League

Yeah maybe you’re right, but I still think the NRL needs to have a better presence in both the Central Coast & Wollongong otherwise they run the risk losing more fans to the A League (where the Central Coast of course already has the Mariners, while the idea of an A-League team in Wollongong has floated around in recent years) and other codes.

The Titans probably should be moved away from the Gold Coast (where just about all sport is cursed, even last year’s Commonwealth Games was to some extent) but we know that won’t happen while the AFL still has the Suns.

I agree. While it will probably always be in the shadow of the Broncos (just as the secondary AFL teams in each state outside of Victoria are), Brisbane probably can support at least two NRL teams.

But any 2nd team for the region has to have a strong point of difference from the Broncos because if we’re being realistic, the kind of lame “South Queensland Crushers” brand probably didn’t help its survival among the other factors already mentioned.

1 Like

I can’t say I’m surprised.

I would have been more surprised if he played on next year.

He has been a great warrior for the Sharkies, one of their all time greats. He will be missed.

Gal said last year that 2019 would be his last season so im not really surprised at all.

1 Like

It was announced yesterday that the Sydney Roosters would play at the brand new Allianz Stadium for at least 25 years when it opens in 2022.

1 Like
2 Likes

Imagine if the Sharks moved to Perth when Gal Still Plays?

The North Sydney Bears are Crying out for Return, They had their chance to buy the Gold Coast Titans but Two Millionares Beat them to it, Yet the team are still not Improving on Field.

1 Like

News Corp reports the first ever State of Origin match to be held at Perth’s Optus Stadium is close to a sell-out, with only 3000 tickets remaining. NSW fans lead all ticket sales having grabbed 60% of the seats.

2 Likes

This will boost Perth’s ratings on Channel 9 in HD and will eventually win for that night, more than double of Masterchef Australia

1 Like

Even though the match will probably be on at 6pm Perth time.

1 Like

The game will probably be up against Seven News and House Rules and almost over by the time MasterChef starts. For last year, Seven News in Perth had double the audience of the Sunday state of origin.

3 Likes

Will House Rules even be on that night?

Seven traditionally waves the white flag when Origin is on and just airs repeats, don’t they?

Seven run split programming for Wednesday SOOs but last year House Rules was shown on the Sunday night in all markets - it beat SOO in 2 states and came close in Melbourne.

The Sunday SOO was a bit of a disappointment, ratings wise. House Rules hit a season high that night.

https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/sunday-24-june-2018/4962?u=tv.cynic

2 Likes

I think that Origin Game 2 will be slightly lower than last year at anz due to 9Now streaming but will still smash Masterchef by over a million viewers. If worse, Masterchef would hit 600k on that night.

1 Like

State of Origin regularly outrates every program of the week by over a million viewers.

3 Likes

…and is often the #1 program in NSW & Queensland for the entire year, if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

My tip for perth: Origin game 2 will be 160k (9), Masterchef: 59k (10).
Nine wins demos and will win for the night in all 5 cities

1 Like

I figure out if the NRL did launch Next Generation Academies for their NSW/ACT Clubs, It’ll go like this:

Bulldogs: Far West and Orana
Dragons: South Coast
Eels: Mid North Coast
Knights: Hunter Valley
Panthers: Central West
Rabbitohs: Murray
Raiders: Southern Tablelands and South West Slopes
Roosters: New England and North West Slopes
Sea Eagles: Northern Rivers
Sharks or Tigers (Depending on a Relocation to Western Australia): Riverina

So there you have it, any thoughts?

Proposed junior alignment:
Broncos - Brisbane, Central Queensland
Bulldogs - Canterbury-Bankstown, Orana
Raiders - Canberra, Monaro
Cowboys - Cairns, Mackay, Townsville
Titans - Gold Coast, Northern Rivers
Sea Eagles - Manly, North Sydney
Storm - Sunshine Coast, Victoria
Knights - Newcastle
Eels - Parramatta, Riverina
Panthers - Central West, Penrith
Sharks - Cronulla, North Coast
Rabbitohs - Inner West, Greater Northern
Dragons - Illawarra, St George
Roosters - Central Coast, Sydney City
Warriors - New Zealand
Wests Tigers - Macarthur, Southern Highlands

Expansion:
Brisbane 2 - Ipswich/Logan, Toowoomba
West Coast - Affiliated States (NT, SA, WA, TAS)