NRL on Nine

Nine announced tonight on it’s Sydney news that it’s Grand Final Day coverage starts at 1pm on Sunday.

As @Super_SC has said above, it should include coverage of the Holden Cup and Interstate Challenge Finals.

It would most likely be preceded by the Sunday NRL Footy Show.

I imagine the first grade Grand Final will be shown on the main channel (thus in HD) nationally.

1 Like

Sydney (subtract one hour for Brisbane) afternoon NRL coverage on Sunday 1 October

10:00 AEDT SPORTS SUNDAY
Hosted by Emma Freedman and featuring Australia’s leading sports personalities, Sports Sunday presents a frank
and open debate about all the issues in the week of sport, with the promise of heated opinion and a few laughs
along the way.

11:00 SUNDAY FOOTY SHOW
Breaking NRL news, expert analysis, high profile guests taking you to places and people no ticket can buy.

13:00 NRL GRAND FINAL DAY
Holden Cup Final
Wide World Of Sports presents the Grand Final of the Holden Cup, live from ANZ Stadium, Sydney. Join our expert
commentary team for all the action.

15:30 NRL GRAND FINAL DAY
State Championship Final
Wide World Of Sports presents the State Championship final, live from ANZ Stadium, Sydney. Join your expert
commentary team for all the action.

Above on 9Gem in other markets.

4 Likes

I guess Andy Raymond will do the Holden Cup Final on FOX.

Wide World of Sports confirmed that Brad Fittler has signed a new deal with the Nine Network.

1 Like

NRL GRAND FINAL DAY

Nine’s Wide World of Sports is locked and loaded for a blockbuster day of Grand Final coverage when the Melbourne Storm play the North Queensland Cowboys in the 2017 Telstra NRL Grand Final on Sunday – exclusively LIVE and FREE.

An enormous day of rugby league action to wrap up the 2017 NRL Telstra Premiership will begin at 10.00am on Nine when Sports Sunday, hosted by Emma Freedman, welcomes two Grand Final heroes in former Storm captain Glenn Lazarus and Cowboys legend Brent Tate to the studio for a special NRL Grand Final preview show.

Then we head straight to ANZ Stadium in Sydney at 11.00am for the season finale of The Sunday Footy Show hosted by James Bracey, with pre-game expert analysis from rugby league’s eighth Immortal, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler and Darren Lockyer.

At 1.00pm the live rugby league action kicks off with the Holden Cup Grand Final between the Parramatta Eels and Manly Warringah Sea Eagles. This will be followed at 3.30pm by the Intrust Super State Championship Final between the Penrith Panthers and PNG Hunters.

At 6.30pm, following a final wrap-up by the Nine News team, the spectacular Grand Final entertainment gets underway with a tribute to all the NRL players retiring in 2017, and a concert by Macklemore.

The voice of rugby league, Ray “Rabs” Warren, will then lead Nine’s NRL commentary team for the 2017 Telstra Premiership Grand Final. Joining him will be six Grand Final winners: Peter Sterling, Phil Gould (coach), Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer and Wally Lewis, while James Bracey takes the reins as host.

PLUS:

Join us for The NRL Grand Final Footy Show on Thursday night, LIVE at 7.30pm AEST. The mega-show broadcast from the Sydney International Convention Centre will feature appearances by both Grand Final teams, as well as Delta Goodrem, Everclear and Easy-Fever with Phil Jamieson (Grinspoon), Kram (Spiderbait) and Tex Perkins, and the always popular Footy Show Grand Final Revue. There’s also the best of the best in Small Talk All Stars and we look back at the greatest moments of 2017.

Broadcast Times:

Sunday 1 October

Holden Cup Grand Final
Parramatta Eels vs Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

Sydney 1.00pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 12.00pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 1.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 12.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 10.00am LIVE on 9GEM

Intrust Super State Championship Final
Penrith Panthers vs PNG Hunters

Sydney 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 2.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 3.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 3.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 12.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final
Melbourne Storm vs North Queensland Cowboys

Sydney 6.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 5.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 6.30pm LIVE on Nine
Adelaide 6.30pm LIVE on Nine
Perth 3.30pm LIVE on Nine

RUGBY LEAGUE ACTION THIS WEEK ON NINE

• SIX TACKLES WITH GUS – Nine’s James Bracey discusses the biggest rugby league issues of the week with NRL legend and expert commentator Phil Gould on Six Tackles with Gus.

• THE NRL GRAND FINAL FOOTY SHOW – Thursday, September 28, LIVE at 7.30pm. Fatty Vautin, Erin Molan, Darryl Brohman and Beau Ryan bring you the Grand Final spectacular.

• SPORTS SUNDAY – Sunday, October 1, at 10.00am. Frank and open debate on all the big issues in sport. Host Emma Freedman is joined by Paul Gallen, Candice Warner, Neil Breen and Peter FitzSimons, along with NRL legends Glenn Lazarus and Brent Tate.

• SUNDAY NRL FOOTY SHOW – Celebrating its 25th year on Sunday, October 1, at 11.00am. Hosted by James Bracey alongside Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer and Brad Fittler. Special guests Peter Sterling, Wally Lewis, Adam MacDougall, Allana Ferguson and Sam Bremner.

*Check local guides for details. Times will differ.

2 Likes

Not a good look for the NRL with free tickets being given away to juniors to fill ANZ Stadium on Grand Final day.

I don’t think the Sydney TV ratings will be too flash either.

3 Likes

Well they are 2 interstate teams plus the airlines (thieves) have put up air fares from North Qld & Melbourne to Sydney over $1300.

With the exception of any local Storm/Cowboys supporters, I don’t think there’s really the same level of excitement amongst mainstream Sydney for the 2017 NRL Grand Final compared to how things were in previous years. So I’d expect the crowd/TV ratings to reflect that.

Although I’d be willing to predict that the whole of North Queensland is absolutely buzzing about the possibility of the 2nd Cowboys premiership in three years! Am I right, @NQCQTV2? :wink:

1 Like

It’s been a low key buzz for the game in general. 2 teams that aren’t the best rating teams in Sydney or Brisbane, no controversy regarding the judiciary, no injury concerns, no selection dramas (save for Matt Scott who if they didn’t risk him last week will be risked even less this week), and Melbourne’s preparation basically blanketed by Tiger fever in their home town. The Melbourne supporters bay was sold out when I looked yesterday (North Queensland’s wasn’t). I’m sure the coverage will still get a lot of eyes because of the event rather than the game itself but it’s not the same as it would have been if last weeks results were reversed.

1 Like

Oh yeah… very much correct!
NQ is abuzz with excitement at the Cowboys… and whinging about the prices for flights to Sydney.

2 Likes

According to Nine News Sydney last night, a lot of NQ fans are jumping on buses for the 22 hour trip to Sydney in protest at the high airfares.

2 Likes

AdNews with its annual preview of NRL Grand Final :chart_with_upwards_trend:

Interviewed Sam Brennan (NEC Sports Sales Chief).

Nine are asking as high as $125,000 for a 30sec ad this Sunday.

They’ve “smashed finals revenue”, topping last year a week ago.

Said ratings are down this year however, in comparison to Seven’s AFL (perhaps attributed to new Fox League).

ARTICLE:

It’ll be interesting to see what ratings figures will be like during the pre match enteratinment. I’ll be using that time to put my pizzas in the oven

4 Likes

If everyone else is planning to put their pizzas in the oven all at the same time, then the ratings won’t be very high :grin:

1 Like

Emma Freedman hosting

3 Likes

Sunday NRL Footy Show

3 Likes

2GB’s Ray Hadley has told The Sunday Telegraph he will call 23 Thursday night NRL games on Nine next year.

1 Like

Matt Thompson, Darren Lockyer and Andrew Johns calling the Holden Cup Final.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Cause he hasn’t been on radio at weekends since he was off crook. That made me wonder if he got told by doctors to cut back his workload

1 Like

That looks bizarre. Why are they holding those stupid microphones?

2 Likes