NRL on Nine

There is a big difference between GWS and Storm and you know that.

Yes… about three goalposts, five players and 900 kms :grin:

All good.

4 Likes

It shouldn’t be forgotten, last year’s GWS Prelim (also Saturday twilight) rated as high as over 200k in Sydney.

If I’m reading the following ratings post correctly, in 2016, the GWS game rated 169,000 in Sydney while The Storm rated 188,000 in Melbourne. Reading the comments, it seems that Seven News that followed the AFL recorded one of its lowest audiences ever. Seems like a pretty good indicator of what might happen again this year.

https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/saturday-24-september-2016/1883?u=tv.cynic

3 Likes

A movie won’t do any better. Besides main channel coverage will help promote the Grand Final coverage.

6 Likes

I’m discussed that Nine Blocked the Rugby League Players Association outside the Heartlands, Ripped off.

You couldn’t stream it on 9Now?

1 Like

When I said “as high as”, I was referring to the post-match.

Also, to say it’s indicative of how Giants/Storm will rate this year is silly.

Different match-ups, different head-to-head, et. al.

Storm won’t get 188k on Friday night, especially if it’s one-sided or they lose.

They might have if it were up against ADE v SYD.

That’s all I was getting at :+1:

Could Storm not have played on Saturday night (away from Cats & Tigers in Melbourne)? Tigers game should be over by 7:15pm or so?

The AFL were smart, GWS away from any NRL (but yes, they do have a much less following than Storm would).

Not available to stream on 9Now.

Is there a reason why people can’t stream this coverage on 9Now?

lol luke rekt

1 Like

No :expressionless:

I would assume that because the Storm are minor premiers, they have to play on Friday night to get the ‘advantage’ should they win and progress to the GF in having an extra day’s rest

5 Likes

Re: RLPA Awards

RLPA did not allow Nine to stream the awards? This is not included in Nine’s NRL broadcast rights deal which allows streaming of some matches.

Peter Sterling has signed an exclusive contract with Nine starting from next year, which means he will be leaving Fox Sports.

2 Likes

Personally, I was hoping that Nine would be letting Sterlo go, perhaps around the time that Ray Warren eventually quits commentating, the impression of which I get will be at the end of 2018.

Nine needs to allow it’s NRL commentary team evolve, to me, Warren and Sterling represent the old breed at Nine and their best years have passed them. Neither are that good that they transcend generations (like Richie Benaud was for Nine’s cricket commentary team), in my view.

1 Like

Phil Gould is the problem with Nine’s commentary, I wish they would let him go.

That’s a real shame. Sterlo is a great show.

1 Like

I wonder if Nine will get Sterlo involved in the Thursday night Footy Show next year, or if he might host a new show of his own?

Sterling needs to stay away from the Thursday Footy Show. lol.

I wouldn’t mind if he returned to hosting The Sunday Footy Show, like what he used to until late 2015. Although the shows replacements have done a good job since Sterling (Yvonne Sampson last year and James Bracey this year), that show suited him.

I hope he does host his own show on Nine like his Sterlo show on Foxtel. Even something like Footy Classified, but the NRL version.