NRL on Nine

Johnathan Thurston revealed this morning that his 2017 season were both over due to his shoulder injury, meaning he could have played his last SOO game. Maybe Nine can invite him to be part of the pre-match for the decider?

1 Like

##ROUND 16

TIGERS VS TITANS
SHARKS VS SEA EAGLES

The Tigers are out to reclaim their patch tonight on Nine’s Friday Night Football after former local boy Jarryd Hayne broke their hearts with a field goal for the Titans at Campbelltown Stadium last season.

Hayne, who famously bellowed “This is my house!” after snapping the winning field goal, is out to inflict more pain on the Tigers after his controversial performance against Queensland two nights ago.

The Tigers will have their work cut out for them with the Titans welcoming back their Origin stars Nathan Peats and Jarrod Wallace alongside Hayne.

The improving Tigers have shown more resolve in recent weeks without getting a win, as their new signings Tiumoala Lolohea and Malakai Watene-Zelezniak find their feet.

Nine’s rugby league expert, Brad Fittler, says: “Expect the unexpected tonight. This match provided one of the most memorable moments of the season last year and it may do that again.

“It would appear that neither side has much to play for but that isn’t the case. The Titans in particular are still capable of making a mark on this competition and tonight can be the start of a turning point for them.”

Fittler’s player to watch: “Jarryd Hayne – love him or hate him, he is one of the best in the game, and being back where he grew up he’ll want to let the Hayne Plane fly after copping criticism from some sections for his performance in Origin II.”

On Sunday Afternoon Football, it’s the battle of the beaches with the Cronulla Sharks at home to the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at Southern Cross Group Stadium.

This match-up promises to be a standout for the round, with NSW Origin forward Wade Graham playing his 150th game for the Sharks while Sosaia Feki plays his 100th NRL game.

A top four position is on the line and the Sea Eagles have proven they can mix it with the best. Under coach Trent Barrett, Daly Cherry-Evans has fired up the Sea Eagles, with the Trbojevic brothers Jake and Tom breathing new life into the team.

Broadcast Times

Tonight - Friday 23 June
Tigers vs Titans

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Sunday 25 June
Sharks vs Sea Eagles

Sydney 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 3.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 3.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 1.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

RUGBY LEAGUE ACTION THIS WEEKEND ON NINE

• SPORTS SUNDAY – Sunday, June 25, at 10.00am. Frank and open debate on all the big issues in the week of sport. Peter Sterling joins Peter FitzSimons, Liz Ellis, John Steffensen and Emma Freedman.

• SUNDAY NRL FOOTY SHOW – Sunday, June 25, at 11.00am. We cross to the biggest name in the game, Johnathan Thurston, after his match-winning performance in Origin II and news of his season-ending injury. On the panel, host James Bracey is joined by Origin legends Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler, Adrian Lam, and Jillaroos star Sam Bremner.

**Check local guides for details. Times will differ.

Now that I have FOXTEL HD, I’ve been able to compare NRL feeds.

To my surprise, the timing of the footage from FOX League HD to Nine Sydney HD, they are almost in sync.
i expected Nine to be ahead a bit more thinking that sending the feed to a satellite and back on FOX would add a couple of seconds to the delay.
The only thing slightly out of sync are their time clocks, Nine’s is about 1 sec out from FOXs.

How does this compare for the AFL? I’ve always noticed Seven is a few seconds ahead of Fox Footy

I reckon FOX Footy HD/SD is about 1 second behind 7mate Sydney (SD) in the Swans vs Essendon game.

1 Like

Probably. QTQ is notoriously bad with HD, so it wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of their content is produced in HD but they don’t have the ability to do live playout locally in HD. Delayed footage or programming from Sydney however can be aired in HD, so it must be the ancient equipment at QTQ.

1 Like

Are you sure that is HD? Doesn’t look very clear.

Most of the Inter Trust games this year have been in HD and QTQ seem to manage live cricket and NRL games plus the netball the other night. The hospital telethon this year was also a live HD broadcast. So they definitely have the ability to broadcast a live signal from an OB truck (just not from the Mt Coot-tha studios).

Earlier in the year

1 Like

Positive.

It probably wasn’t the best screencap (with the fast motion and everything), but the scoreboard graphic at least definitely looks clearer than what you’d get with an upconverted SD broadcast.

Interesting to note the extended pre game coverage starting at 7pm.

1 Like

It looks like as if there’s no ACA during that night.

Last 6 rounds have been finalised, FTA schedule is as follows. Saturday Night games are simulcast with Fox from Round 22 onwards.

ROUND 21
THURS: Penrith vs Canterbury (Penrith)
FRI: Parramatta vs Brisbane (Olympic Stadium)
SUN: Gold Coast vs Wests Tigers (Robina)

ROUND 22
THURS: Canterbury vs Parramatta (Olympic Stadium)
FRI: North Queensland vs Melbourne (Townsville)
SAT NIGHT: Cronulla vs Canberra (Shark Park)
SUN: Penrith vs Wests Tigers (Penrith)

ROUND 23
THURS: Souths vs Canterbury (Olympic Stadium)
FRI: Brisbane vs Cronulla (Lang Park)
SAT NIGHT: Penrith vs North Queensland (Penrith)
SUN: Wests Tigers vs Manly (Leichhardt) (I’ll be at this game in person on the hill, City2Surf weekend)

ROUND 24
THURS: Parramatta vs Gold Coast (Olympic Stadium)
FRI: Brisbane vs St.George/Illawarra (Lang Park)
SAT NIGHT: North Queensland vs Cronulla (Townsville)
SUN: Canterbury vs Manly (Olympic Stadium)

ROUND 25
THURS: Brisbane vs Parramatta (Lang Park)
FRI: Wests Tigers vs North Queensland (Campbelltown)
SAT NIGHT: Cronulla vs Syd Roosters (Shark Park)
SUN: Penrith vs St.George/Illawarra (Penrith)

ROUND 26
THURS: North Queensland vs Brisbane (Townsville)
FRI: Parramatta vs Souths (Olympic Stadium)
SAT NIGHT: Melbourne vs Canberra (Swan St)
SUN: St.George/Illawarra vs Canterbury (Olympic Stadium)

Who is Nine using for those Saturday Night games?

Is Nine using their own commentators the Saturday Night games, or is it Foxtel’s commentators instead?

Blo**dy Broncos on free to air in 5 of those last 6 rounds.

I think James Bracey will host Nine’s coverage of Saturday night from TCN studio with 1-2 experts, before crossing to Fox Sports’ call.

I agree it’s a joke that the Broncos will have five of their last six games of the year on FTA (although you can extend that to the amount of FTA games they get annually), but at least that team will probably be in this year’s finals.

The West Tigers on the other hand…they’ve been playing pretty poorly all year, have had so many off-field dramas and are more likely to get the wooden spoon rather than be in the Top 8. So how on earth are the Tigers getting four of the last six games of their rather abysmal 2017 season on Nine? :confused:

1 Like

Love the PR around it :wink:

Nine said the same in 2015, but the decider was an absolute blow-out.

1 Like

Quite appropriate really, as it’s coming from the commentator with quite possibly the biggest mouth ever.

3 Likes

Surprised that FOX has the Storm-Roosters game exclusively, i thought Nine would have a crack at that one.

1 Like

Broncos themselves are annoyed that they don’t get a Sunday game, particularly a Sunday home game in those last 6 weeks.

2 Likes