NRL on Nine

ROUND ONE

The 2017 NRL season lifts off when the defending premiers, the Cronulla Sharks, host the Brisbane Broncos in Thursday Night Football, LIVE and FREE tomorrow night on Nine, the home of rugby league.

A passionate and parochial Sharks home crowd is expected in the Sutherland Shire at Southern Cross Group Stadium in a match that is littered with some of the biggest names in the game, including Paul Gallen, Darius Boyd, James Maloney and Anthony Milford.

Nine rugby league expert Brad Fittler said: “I can’t wait – this is the game of the week by far.

“Both sides are coming off losses in England over the pre-season where I don’t believe they showed the true quality they possess, and there is no doubting they both have fantastic lineups.

“The Sharks’ new hooker, Jayden Brailey, has big shoes to fill with the departure of Michael Ennis but their experienced bench could be the difference at a field built for sealife.”

On Friday Night Football, Nine will present a good old-fashioned grudge match between the Rabbitohs and the Wests Tigers, which will feature Souths’ new recruit Robbie Farah in his first match against his old club.

Then on Sunday, Nine has the blockbuster between the Sea Eagles and Eels at Lottoland. With both clubs having 2016 seasons to forget, they will be eager to get 2017 started in the right fashion. The Sea Eagles have recruited well but the Eels have built a reputation for being a tough team with a potent backline.

The Wide World of Sports commentary team again will be led by Ray “Rabs” Warren, the only voice rugby league fans have known and loved for over 40 years.

James Bracey will host Thursday Night Football, Friday Night Football, Sunday Afternoon Football and the Sunday Footy Show, and will be joined by the biggest names in rugby league including the Immortals Andrew Johns and Wally Lewis, along with Phil Gould, Peter Sterling, Darren Lockyer, Brad Fittler, Ray Hadley and Mat Thompson.

The Wide World of Sports website – wwos.com.au – will keep rugby league fans up to speed online with live scores and statistics, round-the-clock news and expert analysis.

Broadcast Times

Thursday 2 March - Sharks vs Broncos

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 6.30pm LIVE on 9GEM, from 7.00pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 4.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Friday 3 March - Rabbitohs vs Tigers

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 6.30pm LIVE on 9GEM, from 7.00pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 4.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Sunday 5 March 5 - Sea Eagles vs Eels

Sydney 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 2.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 3.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 3.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 12.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

• NRL FOOTY SHOW – Returns with the footy on Thursday, March 2, with live action before, during and after the blockbuster season opener between the Sharks and Broncos.

• SUNDAY NRL FOOTY SHOW – Returns Sunday, March 5, with new host James Bracey and panellists Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer and Brad Fittler.

• SPORTS SUNDAY – The Wide World of Sports brand new sports panel program, Sports Sunday, premieres Sunday, March 5, at 10.30am AEDT, LIVE on Nine. Sports Sunday will be a frank and open debate about all the issues in the week of sport, headlined by Australia’s leading sports personalities and opinion-makers including Peter FitzSimons, Liz Ellis, Michael Slater and Neil Breen, with regular appearances from big sports stars – past and present – such as Michael Clarke, John Steffensen, David Warner and Candice Warner.

** Check local guides for details. Times will differ.

1 Like

For those who are wondering, Manly signed a new sponsorship deal with Lottoland a few weeks ago and as the result, Brookvale Oval has been renamed Lottoland for the 2017 season.

But Fox League has many many more sponsors: Media buyers and brands back Fox League to be a hit - AdNews
(some companies like Harvey Norman and Bunnings are sponsoring coverage on both Fox League and Nine)

1 Like

Tom Malone has confirmed the football will have a new on air look

hopefully the scoreboard graphics arnt a downgrade…as the current ones are fine & look good, not holding my breath tho.

1 Like

I jsut watched the video and read the press release and its a huge overhaul of the whole Nine gameplay system

“One of the big innovations for us this year is behind the scenes where we have implemented a package from a whole new graphics and statistical supplier,” Malone said.

“You will see that manifest itself on television with a whole new look and feel to the graphics package. It will change the amount of statistics we are able to bring up at a moment’s notice.

“It will be really exciting for the viewers as they are chasing stats on the leading players on metres gained or tackles made. All of that stuff will be available at the touch of a button.”

2 Likes

Is AAMI no longer a sponsor for their NRL coverage?

Or am I getting confused, maybe it never was?

I know it’s a long-time sponsor of FTA AFL coverage.

I already notice a problem with the new graphics tonight: they are too low and touch the bottom of the screen. I can barely see the second line of captions.

Fatty just referred to “TCN” when they did a live cross back to the studio.

3 Likes

I think they’re still better than previous years.

Again, coverage on fox far superior. Nine undone by the fact that they have Andre Johns, brad fittler and Darren Lockyer on the coverage. They’re hopeless.

Back to fox league for me.

Never heard of Andre. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Brother of Matthieu

1 Like

Oh that’s right Matthieu has a show on Fox Sports.

The lower line text on the supers look OK on my TV, even with overscan. I can understand what you mean about it being very close to the safe areas though,

The graphics are a decent upgrade, but a bit heavy on the sponsorship placement (understandable when you pay North of $1 billion for the broadcast rights, but still!) in parts.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Anyone else think the graphics are a step backwards?

2 Likes

I don’t mind it… early days yet I suppose.

What kind of font did they use?

These extra pop ups are not seen on Fox’s coverage

2 Likes

Yes, doesnt look as good as last years version