NRL on Nine

Somewhat disappointing from Nine that they’ve only sent three people over and the other panellists and commentators are all in Sydney.

Perhaps it might have been different had they been allowed to cover both games.

5 Likes

I agree. Looks a bit disjointed with some over there, and some at the Sydney studios.

Probably right. If Nine had both games, there’d most likely have a bigger presence there.

I wish that all Sunday Pre-Match Shows were 30 minutes long like today, compare to 60 minutes long like previous years. Less padding today…

8 Likes

Piss poor that special dispensation was made for nine to broadcast both games as an event. Just like Anzac Day etc.

The NRL have NFI about how to manage their tv rights.

The nfl would never have their opening game on espb. It’s always live and exclusive on broadcast.

1 Like

Yeah, they all look disappointed to not be over there lol

2 Likes

The first standalone NFL Kickoff game in 2002 was actually aired by ESPN. The success of the game though meant it transferred to ABC’s Monday Night Football package the next season and then moved to NBC when it started airing Sunday Night Football in 2006 (and ESPN acquired the rights to MNF).

2 Likes

This is technically false advertising, as the Manly v Souths game kicked off the season and wasn’t shown on Nine.

4 Likes

I think its still part of the kick off as it’s at the same ground and is a double header.

3 Likes

Contractual issues aside, I still think it was poor form for a channel that calls itself “The Home of Rugby League” to not broadcast the actual season opener.

3 Likes

They shouldn’t be calling themselves that though. They aren’t the home of RL as they dont air all games. Fox League is the home of RL.

1 Like

Except for the Grand Final and State of Origin…

4 Likes

Technically they still air those, on delay, around 10pm the same night. So therefore they do have every game.

2 Likes

Fox League airs every game of every round. Including gf and origin. Check your local guides.

Get Kayo or Foxtel.

Huh?

That wasn’t my point.

My point is this is a marquee event like State of Origin or the GF and it should be live on free to air.

I’m not interested in fox having the rights to anything although I do have access to their coverage via other people paying for it.

6 Likes

Except that it isn’t currently (and it’s currently in no way comparable to Origin or finals series), it’s another game that just happens to be hosted in an exotic locale - if the NRL chooses to return in future years (and you’d think that this is now likely) it has the potential to be considered one.

2 Likes

You can guarantee if the NRL had decided to play a double header in Auckland or Perth or PNG to launch the season there wouldn’t be any desire from Nine to show the opener. But because it’s in the capitalism capital of the world and there’s flashing lights, it’s like they’re missing out - when they have the same number of games they always do.

As I said upthread, yes it’s unusual but one for the next round of rights to sort out.

3 Likes

This is year one of a five year deal with Las Vegas and Allegiant stadium.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t put it at that level. This is a exercise that is basically an attempt to create another source of revenue. Yes, it’s a great event but it’s not SOO or the Grand final.

6 Likes

NRL ON NINE: ROUND 1

LIVE AND FREE ON CHANNEL 9HD, STREAM FREE ON 9NOW
BEGINS TONIGHT AT 7.30PM AEDT

The Australian leg of NRL Round 1 is ready to explode with three dynamite fixtures available live and free from tonight at 7.30pm AEDT on Channel 9HD and 9Now.

In commentary exclusively on Nine’s Wide World of Sports will be the Eighth Immortal, Andrew Johns, along with NRL premiership winners Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Paul Vautin, Brad Fittler, Phil Gould, Johnathan Thurston, Paul Gallen, Darren Lockyer and Sam Thaiday.

Hosts James Bracey and Danika Mason, are joined for the live coverage by commentators Mat Thompson and Peter Psaltis, plus sideline reporters and experts Emma Lawrence, Allana Ferguson and Ruan Sims.

Kalyn Ponga and the Knights will be out to show the Raiders their epic finals win over the Green Machine last season was no fluke when Thursday Night Footy lights up from Newcastle.

The Penrith Panthers premiership powerhouse begin their season in Friday Night Footy at AAMI Park in Melbourne, where Grand Final hero Nathan Cleary will be pulling the strings to get their campaign for a fourth consecutive premiership off to a flying start.

After long injury layoffs, fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen returns for the Storm, itching to make up for lost time and help keep the club’s amazing 23-year Round 1 victory streak alive. However, recent form suits the Panthers, having won five of their last six games against the Storm.

Sunday Arvo Footy is an all-Queensland affair from Suncorp Stadium where the Dolphins will meet the North Queensland Cowboys, with coverage from 3.00pm AEDT/2.00PM AEST.

Blink and you’ll miss Dolphins fullback Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, “The Hammer”, at his electric best, when supercoach Wayne Bennett’s men set out to improve on their impressive debut season in 2023.

The Cowboys need to atone for missing the finals last season, so expect their gunslinging backline stars Scott Drinkwater, Valentine Holmes and Tom Dearden to fire from the get-go.

BROADCAST SCHEDULE

Thursday, March 7

549x309

THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTY – KNIGHTS v RAIDERS

Sydney (AEDT) 7.30pm LIVE and FREE on Channel 9HD, stream free on 9Now
Brisbane (AEST) 6.30pm on 9Gem, LIVE and FREE 7.00pm on Channel 9HD, stream on 9Now
Melbourne AEDT 7.30pm LIVE and FREE on 9GemHD, stream free on 9Now
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE and FREE on 9GemHD, stream free on 9Now
Perth 4.30pm LIVE and FREE on 9GemHD, stream free on 9Now

Friday, March 8

549x309

FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTY – STORM v PANTHERS

Sydney AEDT 7.30pm LIVE and FREE on Channel 9HD, stream free on 9Now
Melbourne AEDT 7.30pm LIVE and FREE on Channel 9HD, stream free on 9Now
Brisbane (AEST) 6.30pm on 9Gem, 7.00pm LIVE and FREE on Channel 9HD, stream on 9Now
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE and FREE on 9GemHD, stream free on 9Now
Perth 4.30pm LIVE and FREE on 9GemHD, stream free on 9Now

Sunday, March 10

WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS – on Channel 9 and 9Now.
Sydney 10.00am AEDT
Brisbane 9.00am AEST
Melbourne/Adelaide/Perth from 12.00pm

THE SUNDAY FOOTY SHOW from 11.00am with Billy Slater, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler and Danika Mason. Special guests are Millie Boyle and Shaun Lane. Plus a feature story with Ryan Papenhuyzen, and the new Andrew Johns segment: Turn It Up.

549x309

SUNDAY ARVO FOOTY – DOLPHINS v COWBOYS

Sydney AEDT 3.00pm LIVE and FREE on Channel 9HD, stream free on 9Now
Melbourne AEDT 3.00pm LIVE and FREE on 9GemHD, stream free on 9Now
Brisbane AEST 2.00pm LIVE and FREE on Channel 9HD, stream on 9Now
Adelaide 2.30pm LIVE and FREE on 9GemHD, stream free on 9Now
Perth 12.00pm LIVE and FREE on 9GemHD, stream free on 9Now

Monday, March 11
100% Footy – stream or catch-up on 9Now, watch on 9Gem.
Phil Gould and Paul Gallen go head to head after the first round of the season with host James Bracey and all the latest scoops from 9News reporter Danny Weidler.

NRL ROUND 1 2024 ON THE 9NETWORK
FROM TONIGHT – THURSDAY, MARCH 7
LIVE AND FREE ON CHANNEL 9HD AND 9NOW

3 Likes