NRL on Nine

Yep! I heard that too and had a wtf moment

So do overseas markets take Nineā€™s call of the finals rather than FOX Sports?

I know the Grand Final wasnā€™t live on FOX, but they would have aired a replay with their own call (as they have done in previous years), so itā€™s posble that this may have been produced live by FOX for overseas markets.

Sky NZ took the Nine feed and build up. I suspect because they are showing build up coverage the easiest option is to take Nine.

Well, I can remember heā€™s referred to dates before in a similar way (e.g. 2013 = ā€œtwo thirteenā€). You still know what heā€™s talking about.

Regardless, heā€™s the voice of rugby league. I donā€™t even watch the footy much and I know that heā€™s clearly a vastly superior commentator to the people who will take over from him. I think we can forgive a small slip-up like that.

1 Like

KANGAROOS VS KIWIS

Saturday 15 October

The best rugby league players in the world will be on display - Exclusively LIVE and FREE on the Nine Network - when the Australian Kangaroos face off with the New Zealand Kiwis this Saturday at NIB Stadium in Perth.

Rugby league royalty will be on show when seasoned Australian test match stars Johnathan Thurston, Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Greg Inglis are joined in the squad by Sharks premiership heroes James Maloney and Valentine Holmes.

The Kiwis have proved they are more than capable of beating the Kangaroos and their dangermen Shaun Johnson, Jason Taumalolo and Isaac Luke are out to spark an upset.

Channel Nine rugby league expert and former Australian captain, Darren Lockyer, believes this match could go either way with a host of fresh faces joining both squads ahead of the Four Nations tournament.

ā€œThe Kiwis have a much stronger squad compared to last time they met in May and the Aussies have a big job at hand trying to contain their Dally M Medal-winning forward, Jason Taumalolo,ā€ said Lockyer.

ā€œThis game provides a good chance to gain a psychological advantage ahead of the Four Nations. Also itā€™s an extended Australian squad, so internal competition is on the line from some new faces including Shannon Boyd, Valentine Holmes and Boyd Cordner.

ā€œSome of the best attacking players of a generation will be out to entertain a packed NIB Stadium in Perth and if that doesnā€™t get you going Iā€™m sure the haka will.ā€

Nineā€™s leading commentary team will feature international rugby league legends Darren Lockyer, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler and Daryl Halligan, while Yvonne Sampson hosts the telecast - Exclusively LIVE and FREE on Nine.

Broadcast Times

Saturday 15 October
Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 6.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 4.30pm LIVE on Nine

Check local guides for details

Was thinking Matt Thompson on the call, Since Rabs canā€™t fly to Perth.

Ray Warren canā€™t fly but he can travel by train, although the Indian Pacific only leaves Sydney on Wednesday and arrives in Perth on Saturday afternoon, less than two hours before kickoff. Wonā€™t be ideal.

Yes, I agreeā€¦ they probably would have mentioned Ray Warren in the press release if he was going to call it.

Matt Thompson calling the test match at Perth. The game did not start until 5.15pm local time, I thought the kickoff was at 4.50pm.

Nine has announced it will show the Four Nations tournament, to be held in Britain from the end of this month. All matches will be shown live on 9Gem.

The kickoffs are getting ridiculously lateā€¦ for every major game reallyā€¦ the Grand Final started 20 mins late, State Of Origin is the sameā€¦ something needs to be done about it, I suspect Channel Nine is one of the main parties to blame here.

Aside from that, note how the in game reference to the Four Nations coverage, they used the old branding ie. Gem and not 9Gem as it should be.

Guess that old habits die hard, like at the end of the 4pm Sunday game, they sometimes still say ā€œStand by for National Nine Newsā€.

4 Likes

I believe kickoff was always set down for 5:10pm local. Was still 5 minutes late.

Since when has Darryl Halligan done commentary for Nine? Good to see a kiwi on the coverage.

1 Like

He is usually the expert comments person for Sky in the home Warriors games and occasionally does interviews at away Warriors games that are inserted into the Sky coverage (heā€™s based in Australia). I wonder if Sky NZ asked for him to be added?

1 Like

Was thinking FOX could use him and Glen Lamar- they do the Warriors games for Sky- to do the Warriors away games for FOX that donā€™t get Smith or Voss.

Matt Russell normally does their away games he will also do some of the home ones. Seems to be on the Saturday home ganes

Have to say Iā€™m please that 9Gem will be showing all matches and not just Australiaā€™s matches as they have in the past.

1 Like

###FOUR NATIONS

The finest players on the planet are all set to square off in the battle for international supremacy when the Rugby League Four Nations starts this Saturday, October 29 ā€“ Exclusively LIVE and FREE on the Nine Network.

Australia, New Zealand, England and Scotland will be pitted against each other throughout the United Kingdom where they will fight to win the coveted Four Nations trophy.

Starting with the round stages before progressing to the final at the hallowed turf of Anfield in Liverpool, your home of rugby league, the Nine Network, will provide in-depth coverage of all seven games in the tournament.

Nineā€™s Four Nations commentary team will feature international rugby league legends Peter Sterling, Phil Gould, Darren Lockyer, Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler, while Yvonne Sampson hosts the telecast ā€“ Exclusively LIVE and FREE on the Nine Network.

A powerhouse Australian Kangaroos squad led by Cameron Smith will feature a host of NRL stars such as Greg Inglis, Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk and Matt Moylan. Kiwi superstars Shaun Johnson, Issac Luke and Jason Taumalolo will combine their freakish talents in an effort to fend off challenges from a refreshed Kangaroos side looking to reclaim their spot at the top of the international rankings.

Playing on home soil, England have been boosted by the recruitment of master coach Wayne Bennett who will guide a very competitive outfit featuring Sam Burgess, Gareth Widdop and James Graham. And newcomers Scotland will be hoping to trouble the established rugby league nations.

Catch every try, every tackle and every minute of the Four Nations LIVE and FREE on the Nine Network ā€“ your home of rugby league.

Broadcast Times

I reckon that press release needs another reference to EXLUSIVELY LIVE AND FREE. I missed it the first couple of times :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

It only seems to mention that Nines commentary team is ā€œexclusively live and feeeā€ on Nine.

Further down, it just say ā€œlive and freeā€.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if its live on FOXTEL as well.

1 Like

Watching the Kangaroos match against Scotland back on my DVR. Seems commentary is being done in the Channel 9 studio.

Wonder if itā€™ll be the same with the non Australian matches