NRL on Nine

Beau Ryan on a $800,000 a year contract? Surely not, what a waste of money, you barely see him.

3 Likes

All of the above is on GEM apart from NSW/QLD

At least they’re even showing the lead-up coverage in the AFL states, something I think Nine have not done at all in the past (especially in the pre-multichannel years, although I’m sure that the AFL states got the lead-up coverage to the NRL Grand Final at least on GEM last year).

Although what’s the bet that Nine in said markets will very quickly cut off the coverage after the game as they’ve been known to in the past, even if the Storm do win which will undoubtedly upset a fair few viewers in Melbourne who want to see the post-match celebrations? :confounded:

It’s all on the main channel on Nine Darwin and Nine Imparja (which covers most of South Australia territory wise).

Yes, I happened to see the 2006 NRL Grand Final on telly in Melbourne and about 3 seconds after the Broncos lifted the premiership trophy, Nine cut to a movie! Yet they had nearly 900,000 viewers watching the game.

This time around I’d like to think Nine will feel a bit more confident about sticking with post match, even though the mighty SHARKIES will be the ones up there on the dais on Sunday!!

1 Like

All times are -1 hour in QLD due to the start of Daylight Saving on Sunday.

Correct. Means us south of the border will lose an hours sleep

NRL GRAND FINAL DAY

The Nine Network will deliver a full day of rugby league action in the lead-up to the 2016 NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final between the Melbourne Storm and Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks on Sunday, October 2 – Exclusively LIVE, FREE and in HD on Channel Nine and 9GEM.

A gigantic Grand Final Day will begin at 10.00am on Nine when Wide World of Sports, hosted by Ken Sutcliffe, presents a special NRL Grand Final preview show, crossing live to ANZ Stadium, Sydney as game day heats up.

Then we roll straight into the season finale of The Sunday Footy Show hosted by Yvonne Sampson at 11.00am, with pre-game expert analysis from rugby league’s eighth Immortal, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler and Darren Lockyer.

At 1.00pm the live rugby league action kicks off with the Holden Cup Grand Final between Penrith Panthers and Sydney Roosters. This will be followed at 3.40pm by the 2016 Intrust Super State Championship Grand Final between the Illawarra Cutters and Burleigh Bears.

At 6.30pm, following a final wrap-up by the Nine News team, the spectacular Grand Final entertainment gets underway with a tribute to all the NRL players retiring in 2016, and a concert by country music superstar Keith Urban, multiple Grammy Award-winner Richie Sambora and guitar goddess Orianthi.

The voice of rugby league, Ray “Rabs” Warren, will then lead Nine’s NRL commentary team for the 2016 Telstra Premiership Grand Final. Joining him will be seven Grand Final winners: Peter Sterling, Phil Gould (coach), Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer, Wally Lewis and Billy Slater, while Yvonne Sampson steers the ship as host.

Sunday, October 2 timetable:

10.00am Wide World of Sports – NRL Grand Final special
11.00am The Sunday Footy Show – Season finale (** Channel Nine & 9GEM)
1.00pm 2016 Holden Cup Grand Final – Penrith Panthers vs Sydney Roosters
(** Channel Nine & 9GEM)
3.40pm 2016 Intrust Super State Championship Grand Final – Illawarra Cutters vs Burleigh Bears
(** Channel Nine & 9GEM)
6.30pm Pre-Match Entertainment before kick-off in the 2016 NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final: Melbourne Storm vs Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks – LIVE from ANZ Stadium, Sydney
10.15pm NRL Grand Final – Post-Match Presentation
** Check local guides for times.
** Times/Channels will differ in Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne.

PLUS:

Join us under the “Big Top” for The NRL Grand Final Footy Show on Thursday night, LIVE at 7.30pm AEST. The mega-show broadcast from North Sydney Oval will feature appearances by both Grand Final teams, as well as Delta Goodrem, Bliss N Eso, Cosentino, and the always popular Footy Show Grand Final Revue.

Sunday, October 2

Holden Cup Grand Final
Penrith Panthers vs Sydney Roosters

Sydney 1.00pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 12.00pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 1.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 12.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 10.00am LIVE on 9GEM

Intrust Super State Championship Grand Final
Illawarra Cutters vs Burleigh Bears

Sydney 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 2.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 3.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 3.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 12.30pm LIVE on Nine

NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final
Melbourne Storm vs Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks

Sydney 7.15pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 6.15pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.15pm LIVE on Nine
Adelaide 6.45pm LIVE on Nine
Perth 4.15pm LIVE on Nine

Or you can go to bed a hour earlier

I’d much rather lose an hour of sleep now than deal with the ridiculously early summer sunrise times in QLD caused by our lack of DST!

3 Likes

but will remain in 2016 whilst Queensland remains in 1975

2 Likes

Precisely!
Apologies for straying off topic, but it’s ridiculous that it’s 2016 and we’re still not using DST in QLD.

1 Like

Why the simulcast?

Not a simulcast, just not explained well - Nine in NRL areas, 9GEM in AFL areas. There is a AFL Sunday Footy Show that will be on Nine in AFL areas.

Not at all. I think it is relevant.

Not much coverage of Ray Warren’s retirement? Isn’t this his last game?

No

A rare error from TV Tonight. I would imagine Ray Warren retiring would get as much publicity as Cometti’s retirement yesterday.

1 Like

I agree. If Ray Warren was retiring, knowing Nine I’m sure they would’ve made an absolutely massive deal (special promos, tribute packages, etc) about how today’s NRL Grand Final is the last ever game he commentates.

2017 will probably be Ray Warren’s last season though. I’m sure I remember reading somewhere a while back that he most likely won’t be commentating beyond the duration of the current broadcast rights deal, which I think will end next year…

2 Likes

I wonder if Matthew Thompson does more games next year. Could see him doing Thursday Nights while Rabs does FNF and Sunday.