Nova Network

Xenophobic? Does that really matter in a country where 28% of people were born overseas or 46% of people have at least one parent who was born overseas.

It’s ironic to now think that some regional commercial stations are now more local than some of the metro commercial stations these days. I’m talking stations like C91.3, i98, Wave FM, Star 104.5 (owned by Nova Entertainment), Hot Tomato, River 94.9, K-Rock, Bay 93.9 & a few others that I may have left out.

2 Likes

Exactly, just listen to spotify, without local news, traffic and announcers - may as well sell the license.

It’s radio. In London I love listening to Capital and the UK accents.

In LA I love hearing the Californian accents.

I love watching Asian MTV in Bali - and the hosts from Hong Kong.

And in Sydney I love hearing London’s east end accent as I drive around. Not.

What’s next - an American reading the news Channel 9?

1 Like

Well they have people with American sounding accents on SBS along with all sorts of others.

I understand your point and it’s fair enough. However, if someone wants to emigrate to Australia, are you saying he should be barred from working in that industry because they have an accent?

Yeah…up until about the '70s, much of Australian radio & TV seemed to have a faux-British accent unlike today’s media personalities.

2 Likes

You’re the one always moaning about American stuff! If he was American your POV would be different!

1 Like

I definitely would hate that a lot more. Look, I’m not happy about a Brit accent on the radio either but I’m just playing devil’s advocate here. A British accent is certainly less grating than an American one.

If you’re a local with an accent - more power to you. I’m more concerned with the idea of bringing in people from O/S when there are hundreds of people good enough to do that day shift across the country.

Nova surely won’t have any local announcers in 3 years - and I imagine if they can do it with little monetary hurt, all other network’s will follow suit within the next 5 years

1 Like

That’s quite an over reaction. Greg Burns has clearly stated that he wanted to emigrate to Australia for quite some time and was not brought here in some covert plot to replace all Aussie hosts.

Very sad to see that Nova 100 will no longer be live and local during the workday.

You think there’s not a single local who could back announce every third song for four hours a day on Sydney’s #4 FM station?

Anyway, I imagine workday hosts could be phased out entirely within the next 5 years so…

If you’re not going to localise, and you’re only talking twice an hour anyway…

You’d be better off getting rid of daytime hosts completely and hiring a local Content Director that can do a shift if they have to jump on ICE (I.e. Fire etc.) surely?

Radio’s slowly killing itself. The same thing has happened/is happening to newspapers. Dying a slow death.
Radio will fall in a heap, surely. At least newspapers have moved to online and have a genuine edge in the content they publish online (trained journalists, local stories, fact-checked articles - in theory).

What does radio have to prop them up against Spotify, Pandora, Tidal, iHeart etc. when all they do is play music anyway (I.e. Nothing local, hosts who say little, play the same four songs a combined 60 times a day etc.)

1 Like

You’re jumping to a lot of conclusions after making a lot unsubstantiated accusations.

1 Like

Maybe. Radio will be forced to evolve sooner or later. Shame it could be sooner.

Many more repercussions and job losses to come, especially if the rest of the country becomes networked…

Localism appears to be the one thing that separates radio from other forms of media - and it’s slowly but surely being networked out…

But who knows - maybe that’s what the people want (more music, less talk).

A radio station should be more than just music and ads.

Just as Coke is more than just caffeine and sugar mixed in carbonated water

Just as Woolworths is more than just somewhere you can buy Sultana Bran.

And the Hilton is more than just a bed in a room.

Brands have images, values and personalities. DJs and localism are partly responsible for giving music radio its “feeling”: making it more than just music and ads.

I remember seeing stickers for 2SM from the 70s - its slogan was “If it fits, wear it” So cool.

Nova’s new slogan should be “One size fits all”

6 Likes

Paul Jackson on Survey 8 and “Dual Programming”

The repetitiveness of Nova’s music playlist is just beyond ridiculous now.

On the weekend, I was listening to the radio the whole day while doing house renovations. Just an absolute joke that you hear all the same songs again after 2 hours. When I started hearing the same songs again for the third time in 5 hours, I switched off. They’re so stupid!

Such a limited playlist, while there are other songs on the chart that don’t get played (like the latest by The Veronicas-On Your Side and Guy Sebastian-Set In Stone, TwentyOne Pilots-Heathens) and many new songs that you hear on Nova late night (like DNCE-Body Moves) but never get played during the day. Not to mention recent hits from the last 2-3 years that could get a spin. They seriously need to widen their playlist.

The other bad thing is the way the order that they play the songs is repetitive too. There are two songs I really like at the moment.: Frenship & Emily Warren-Capsize and The XX-On Hold. They have programmed these songs in to play together which is great for me. But how ridiculous that for the past three days, I have heard these songs played together, three times.

Nova was once known for the slogan Sounds Different. It now sadly is really a case of Sounds Same Same Same.

2 Likes

Fitzy and Wippa are doing their annual Christmas Day special at midday tomorrow.

Followed by Christmas Day specials by Kate, Tim and Marty at 2pm and Smallzy at 4pm.

Simon Baggs looks to have joined Nova according to his Twitter bio.