Nova Network

No thanks. She’s hopeless.

1 Like

Starting today from 12-3pm Greg Burns will be presenting a new show called “Global 40” every Sunday.

1 Like

Jimmy & Nath finish on Friday and will do a podcast instead. Prob was a mistake moving them from late nights to 5am.

2 Likes

Is Adelaide Nova still using the Sydney/Melb playlist or back to their own music scheduling?

Seems strange when you have Fresh as competition to program against in Adel?

Even the six year olds are complaining. :joy:

This is how bad the playlist for Fitzy & Wippa. Same same every day.
Friday
08:57 Shawn Mendes - There’s Nothing Holding Me Back
08:49 John Gibbons - P.Y.T (Pretty Young Thing)
08:34 Khalid - Young, Dumb & Broke
08:17 Dua Lipa - New Rules
08:08 Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry
07:50 Jessica Mauboy - Then I Met You
07:39 Pink - What About Us
07:16 Ed Sheeran - Perfect
07:07 Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
06:51 Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road
06:06 Justin Bieber - Friends

Thursday
08:57 J Balvin - Mi Gente (Remix)
08:39 Macklemore - Glorious
08:25 Sam Smith - Too Good At Goodbyes
08:14 Justin Bieber - Friends
08:09 Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road
07:52 Kesha - Praying
07:40 Pink - Beautiful Trauma
07:21 Dua Lipa - New Rules
07:12 Imagine Dragons - Thunder
07:04 Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry
06:48 Pink - What About Us
06:22 Shawn Mendes - There’s Nothing Holding Me Back

Wednesday
08:53 Enrique Iglesias - Subeme La Radio (Turn Up The Radio) (Remix)
08:39 Kesha - Praying
08:19 Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
08:06 Pink - What About Us
07:47 John Gibbons - P.Y.T (Pretty Young Thing)
07:38 Khalid - Young, Dumb & Broke
07:17 Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road
07:10 Justin Bieber - Friends
06:52 Sam Smith - Too Good At Goodbyes
06:07 Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry

Tuesday
08:53 Dua Lipa - New Rules
08:38 Macklemore - Good Old Days
08:19 John Gibbons - P.Y.T (Pretty Young Thing)
08:10 Rudimental - Sun Comes Up
07:50 Sam Smith - Too Good At Goodbyes
07:41 Pink - What About Us
07:17 Zayn - Dusk Til Dawn
07:09 Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
06:51 Justin Bieber - Friends
06:06 Enrique Iglesias - Subeme La Radio (Turn Up The Radio) (Remix)

And if a song is not repeated every day it would have been just before or just after the shift.

3 Likes

Some really odd choices for their top songs on high rotation.

Why the hell is “Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road” the top song on Nova at the moment? Last time, I checked Nova are not a Country & Western station and that song only made it to number 9 on the charts and is now number 17?

Why is such a rubbish remake like “John Gibbons - P.Y.T (Pretty Young Thing)” also close to the top? It is a poor remake of the Michael Jackson hit and it’s not even on the ARIA top 50 chart. It was in and out briefly.

There are better Justin Bieber songs out there than “Friends - Justin Bieber”. Why is this one played so much when its now only at number 12 and has only achieved Gold selling status when so many other big Platinum sellers aren’t even played?

Any ideas? Do the record companies pay them to play these songs so much?

1 Like

Nova uses the iTunes and streaming charts moreso than the official ARIA chart to program. Their audience is more attune to streaming, and the ARIA chart is notoriously behind on new releases. Friends, for example was #3 on the ARIA streaming chart (currently #10).

Sales charts are old-fashioned now. Streaming #s and streaming charts are what are (and should) be used to program. Nova also do a fair amount of market research to find out what’s trending song-wise, what people like, what they’re over etc.
They do weekly market research breakdowns of their music.

Also, you can’t be too reactive to the chart or you wouldn’t have any rotations; or you’d have some songs that are played 5 times/hr. Songs still need to rotate as they otherwise should, but the driving force behind what gets inserted is streaming - I imagine that’s every Top 40 station these days, not just Nova.

1 Like

I’ve had a look at the ARIA streaming chart and it’s not that different to the regular chart apart from a few artists that would appeal more to teens than other demographics.

If they’re relying so heavily on Apple streaming though and it’s so out of whack, then that’s madness. If teeny boppers are streaming Justin Bieber a million times, that’s not a good reflection of what the wider audience prefers.

I suppose that would also explain why former One Direction members are also on high rotation but are failing to sell much product in comparison.

For the record, PYT does not appear on the streaming charts either. So something shonky going on there.

Needs more Quavo.

Surely Nova’s partnership with iTunes means that they access to charts by demographic so they can program to their demographic.
I would also expect that the streaming charts take into account how many listens have been by the same user. Surely 1000 streams by one person is weighted differently to one stream by 1000 different people.

2 Likes

I’d be surprised if they are being that scientific. I just see and hear the most played tracks every two hours and the rest a lot less often

t doesn’t explain the anomalies though. I’m looking at Spotify tonight and their streaming chart is closer to the ARIA chart compared to what Nova plays.

It’s not just the iTunes chart, but it is a big factor. Overseas charts (UK & US) are also a factor. Don’t forget, the ‘teeny bopper’ market is more or less what Nova’s chasing.

Music has changed. Selling product is very different to streaming product. You can be the most streamed on Spotify without selling a single copy of your song. Radio needs to be aware and reactive of (and to) that.

As for PYT, it was in the charts and was also #1 on Shazam for a little while. As I said before, if you’re too reactive to the official charts, your rotations would be way out of whack.

Also, all the radio stations get new music delivered to them daily via the internet. It’s entirely possible that much of their music strategy comes down to ‘what’s new that sounds like it will fit our format’

PS. I don’t know that I’d call Body Like a Back Road country. Also (oddly) Nova and the like do tend to play country when it’s an Aussie (Morgan Evans, Keith Urban etc.)

Is it really? Because most of them would be at school all day. If you listen to Smallzy and his nightly chart, he actually plays a wider variety of music and he plays all the other songs in the top 50 chart, which is what I’m talking about. I also listened to Nova’s Apple iTunes chart yestarday afternoon and again, it was more like the ARIA Top 50 with more songs that are not on Nova’s high rotation list. Spotify Australian Top 50 is also very similar to the ARIA chart.

Curiosity about a song doesn’t necessarily mean people want to hear it every two hours for four months.

It’s country and newspaper articles have even mentioned that it is a surprising mainstream hit. Not against these songs being played but again not on high rotation. Actually, the Keith Urban duet with Carrie Underwood was the most pop thing he has done and that was one song Nova should have put on high rotation but didn’t.

Well, this is exactly what I’m trying to understand. Great to have all sorts of new music discovered and played on Nova after all their slogan is “fresh music”. What doesn’t make sense is keeping some songs on high rotation for four months and some songs which don’t actually seem to be that popular.

1 Like

for NOVA, to fit in between KIIS and Hit, they have to be a little more current and hotter on the bigger songs. They use Shazam, their own internal reseach, ORMs etc.

Sometimes it just comes down to tempo, how they sound to the MDs and how many spots they want to open up every week for a newer, more “riskier” song than something loved and known by their audience which hasn’t “burnt out” yet.

That’s my point. They need to be ahead of the pack and be playing more new music and a wider playlist.

They need to play less of the same old stuff burnt out stuff that’s three or four months old and on high rotation.

2 Likes

Courtesy of TMN, here’s this week’s adds - 3 to Hit, 4 for KIIS, 3 for NOVA (Sydney stations)

HIT104.1 2DAYFM BLACKBEAR FT. GUCCI MANE DO RE MI UMA
HIT104.1 2DAYFM CAMILA CABELLO FT. YOUNG THUG HAVANA SME
HIT104.1 2DAYFM JESSICA MAUBOY THEN I MET YOU SME

KIIS 106.5 GALANTIS & THROTTLE TELL ME YOU LOVE ME WMA
KIIS 106.5 MACKLEMORE FT. KESHA GOOD OLD DAYS MACKLEMORE/WMA
KIIS 106.5 DJ SNAKE FT. LAUV A DIFFERENT WAY UMA
KIIS 106.5 JESSICA MAUBOY THEN I MET YOU SME

NOVA 96.9 ED SHEERAN PERFECT WMA
NOVA 96.9 PALOMA FAITH CRYBABY SME
NOVA 96.9 MACKLEMORE FT. KESHA GOOD OLD DAYS MACKLEMORE/WMA

Isn’t it? Outside of Breakfast & Drive, it doesn’t really seem like they’re going for any other than the teeny bopper market, on 96.9 and 100 anyway…

So, they should still have songs on heavy repeat, but different ones…? Assuming all the charts they do contain similar songs, shouldn’t ATD have some kind of difference from that?

Does anyone want to listen to any song every two hours for four months? Playing that particular song and Nova’s high rotations are two different issues. That a song was #1 on Shazam for a while means people are digging it at least. I don’t know many who Shazam a song because they hate it.

It’s much poppier than Keith & Carry, and even a lot poppier than Morgan Evans, which is also on fairly high rotation on Nova. It’s no more country than the majority of Taylor Swifts first few albums which were all played on incredibly high rotations (and are still played today in some throwback segments), nor any more country than Avicii’s Wake Me Up which would have to have been one of the most played songs on radio for the couple years after it came out surely.

I personally love the song. It’s fine to dislike it, but I don’t think the fact that the song is technically a country song should have anything to do with the rotations of it, especially when it’s not particularly country sounding.

Though I hate Nova’s high repetition, I find it mostly refreshing when Nova’s not playing the same stuff as everyone else. I wish they did more of it. I’m sick of flicking between KIIS, Hit/2DAY/FOX and Nova and hearing them all playing Rita Ora’s Your Song at the same time.

I’m not disagreeing with your points and I don’t know why you’re trying to pick every comment I’m making apart. I think essentially we have the same thinking but it’s Nova that doesn’t follow it.

I’m agreeing that Nova plays more new stuff than KIIS and Hit and I also prefer the playlist. The issue is the number of repeats throughout the day.

The other day I went shopping and I heard the same song on Nova on the way there and then on the way back. Later I went out for coffee and heard the same song again on the way out and on the way back. No joke. That’s four times in one afternoon. That’s how you lose listeners and send them to alternative music sources.

Of course I’d rather hear more indie, alternative and pop stuff outside the top 50. If not, I would rather hear some of those other top 50 hits more than once a day rather than hear the same song four or five times a day.

IMO the weekends are the worst for repition outside of their Apple Music countdown / Global 40 Countdowns.

I ended up listening to the Edge 96.1 today and there was less repition then Nova and was easier to stay listening. The playlist on Nova needs to be broadened weekday and weekend if they want to challenge KIIS.
If it wasn’t for the breakfast results at 2day Nova would be behind 2day too.

I know everyone will disagree with this on the weekend each hour of normal programming add a cool throwback that will appeal to the younger target market. Hill Top Hoods / 360 like they do on Nova 106.9 I am not talking about huge amounts of old school that is played on 2day / kiis.

Another thing it looks like Nova ent are putting more energy into Smooth and have been running bigger competitions on Smooth then Nova. Maybe they feel Nova in Sydney cannot do any better and they are happy with a 7-8% rating share point.

Nova did have the Global Red Room Tour but every other survey they have just been giving away concert tickets whether it has been Red Room or non Red Room events.

KIIS has been giving away lots of money.
However when KIIS did the secret sound competition their ratings dropped just like Nova’s when they ran that promotion. WS won the FM survey on a no repeat workday.
What does that tell us?

1 Like