Nine Tennis Coverage

Tony Jones copping a battering on Twitter after his interview with Naomi Osaka. Understandable, as it was quite cringeworthy.

Sam Smith and Jim Courier were great, but Tony kept chipping in with bizarre and condescending questions. He seems to have a knack for saying too much.

Tony Jones from Q&A should replace him.

12 Likes

He is suited for 6pm Sport and live sports coverage providing he does not get the opportunity to banter.

He most certainly isn’t suited for hosting 6pm News. That’s the worry with the impending Hitch retirement!

7 Likes

That’s why I didn’t watch this interview after Osaka’s Win.

Tony Jones currently trending number 2 in Australia -earlier was number 1.

Will he get to interview the men’s final winner?

Tony Jones infuriates fans for his post Australian Open final interview with Naomi Osaka

2 Likes

They were absolutely stupid questions.
What was he thinking, and telling her to spend the prizemoney here.

I think Tony should just stick to presenting.

Jim Courier is a much better interviewer.

2 Likes

and that’s saying something.

I didn’t see TJ’s IV but let’s be honest, the media will nitpick at anything and turn it into a big deal - was it really that bad?

narrator’s voice - yes. Yes it was that bad.

Just watched it. Good god.

4 Likes

I agree 100%,

2 Likes

Why did he even bother? Is he trying to make a name for himself or something?

James Bracey would be a far better interviewer.

4 Likes

Agree. I thought he had done a good job hosting the coverage up until that interview.

1 Like

Or to try and kiss somebody that doesn’t like him!

1 Like

Highlights of Hobart International Tennis:

AUSTRALIAN OPEN BROADCAST SCHEDULE - Sunday 27 January

NADAL v DJOKOVIC IN MEN’S FINAL

Two of the greatest players the game has ever seen, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic , will go head-to-head in the Men’s Final of the Australian Open tonight on Nine from 6.30pm.

When they walk out on to Rod Laver Arena, it will mark the 53rd encounter between the two superstars.

Djokovic is seeking a record-breaking 7th Australian Open crown while Nadal is attempting to become the first man to win each Grand Slam event at least two times.

Historically, this match-up has evolved to become one of the greatest rivalries in tennis and tonight’s final is shaping up to be a classic encounter.

DAY SESSION

Starts 2.30pm AEDT

MEN’S DOUBLES FINAL

KONTINEN / PEERS v HERBERT / MAHUT

NIGHT SESSION

Starts 6.30pm AEDT

MEN’S FINAL

NOVAK DJOKOVIC v RAFAEL NADAL

2 Likes

I want Rafa to win

2 Likes

Rebecca Maddern hosting the post match and will be conducting the interview with Novak.

6 Likes

No Tony Jones??

1 Like

Channel 9 Perth cut out the post match talk between Rebecca Maddern, Lleyton hewitt and Jim Courier to go to news. You can watch the post match talk with Novak Djokovic on 9Gem.

3 Likes

No TJ but still dumb questioning from Bec. ‘Do you miss your kids’. Like nah he can’t stand them.

Refreshing having Courier there at least to cut to the Tennis oriented questions.

2 Likes

That wasn’t too bad. A lot of ppl can relate to that question. She’s far better than Tony.

I think Tony might be a little over worked with News, Today and the Tennis.

Or he was purposely sidelined.

3 Likes