AUSTRALIAN OPEN BROADCAST SCHEDULE - Wednesday 16 January

DAY SESSION

Starts 11.00am AEDT

SLOANE STEPHENS V TIMEA BABOS

ASH BARTY (Aus) v YAFAN WANG

ZOE HIVES (Aus) v CAROLINE GARCIA

JORDAN THOMPSON (Aus) v ANDREAS SEPPI

DANIEL EVANS v ROGER FEDERER

ROBERTO AUGISTA AGUT v JOHN MILLMAN (Aus)

DONNA VEKIC v KIMBERLY BIRRELL (Aus)

NIGHT SESSION

Starts 7.00pm AEDT

ALEX DE MINUAR (Aus) v HENRI LAAKSONEN

MATTHEW EBDEN (Aus) v RAFAEL NADAL

BEATRIZ HADDAD MAIA v ANGELIQUE KERBER

MARIA SHARAPOVA v REBECCA PETERSON

Another 1st round exit for Sam at the Australian Open, what else is new?I’m hoping Ash Barty will make it into the 2nd week and Alex De Minaur too

2 Likes

Who knows maybe Ash Barty can make it to the final itself, can’t remember the last time a Australian women has won the Australian Open, must be ages ago.

Evonne Goolagong Cawley won 1977 last aussie women to win the Australian open

Last time there was a champion from Australia during singles match was back in 1976 where Mark Edmondson beat John Newcombe.

Chris O’Neil was the last local women to win in 1978.

The match at Margaret Court arena has gone well past Midnight and not a lot of people were at the venue. Spectators have gone home and had enough for the night. As game finishes, Rebecca Maddern would feel very tired once she drives back home.

What’s with everyone going on about how tired certain presenters are this year? I understand to an extent with regards to Tony Jones but it’s not unusual for these matches to go well after midnight.

Have to admit I was a bit skeptical about what Nines Coverage would be like but I think they are doing a pretty good job in the first few days.

11 Likes

De Minaur advances to the 3rd round with his next opponent being Rafael Nadal

3 Likes

The telecast finished at 1AM in NSW and Victoria. I noticed that Rebecca Maddern is getting very tired and had to drive home to get some sleep. Tomorrow, will be the same as today with James Bracey, then Tony Jones and Rebecca Maddern as night.

Was her drive home televised? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Maybe Maddern et al should present the AO from Perth if they are all so tired. After all, 1am here is only 10pm there, would make them look much fresher.

This will be a ratings winner

One of my first jobs was working at the AO for the caterers. We’d start at 8am and if you were on centre court finish well after midnight most nights. All day on our feet in hot kitchens and food concessions. Walk back to the MCG in the dark, try and remember where you parked that day, drive home, and be up at sparrows to do it all again, usually got one day off in the second week.

I’m sure the TV presenters can cope.

9 Likes

I don’t recall people going on about Seven’s presenters being tried in previous years.

2 Likes

Yep. We all have long days/weeks in our work at times. Some of us do extra hours too and don’t get paid for them…but that’s another conversation for another forum lol

Brought to you by MS very own Aus Open midnight watchman.

3 Likes

AUSTRALIAN OPEN BROADCAST SCHEDULE - Thursday 17 January

DAY SESSION

Starts 11.00am AEDT

VIKTORIA KUZMOVA v ELINA SVITOLINA

IVO KARLOVIC v KEI NISHIKORI

STAN WAWRINKA v MILOS RAONIC

NAOMI OSAKA v TAMARA ZIDANSEK

SIMONA HALEP v SOFIA KENIN

ALIZE CORNET v VENUS WILLIAMS

ALEX BOLT v GILLIES SIMON

TARO DANIEL v DENIS SHAPOVALOV

ALEXEI POPYRIN v DOMINIC THIEM

NIGHT SESSION

Starts 7.00pm AEDT

EUGENIE BOUCHARD v SERENA WILLIAMS

ALEXANDER ZVEREV v JEREMY CHARDY

NOVAK DJOKOVIC v JO-WILFRED TSONGA

JOHANNA KONTA v GARBINE MUGURUZA

1 Like

I’m sure Rebecca will cope for two weeks. Heck, millions of people around the country who work nights manage perfectly fine.

5 Likes

Henri LeConte has joined the coverage, presumably as part of the world feed